PDA

View Full Version : PLASMA vs LCD ++

PlanB
12-30-2006, 10:31 AM
How many pixels? I'm going shopping soon so ANY experiences you have are welcomed. Here is a cool site on pixels, etc.

http://www.carltonbale.com/blog/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/

singunner
12-30-2006, 11:03 AM
The answer depends on your intended use. If you play video games or leave a video on pause, with plasma, the image will be "burned" into your screen. They've started "fixing" this in newer models by including a feature that will burn the whole screen in case one part gets burnt. The end result is a darker image. If you see this as being a problem, go with LCD. If you mainly just watch movies, go with plasma. Keep in mind that watching the news usually involves a little bar being left at one point on your screen for extended periods of time, possible causing burning.

csperberg
12-30-2006, 01:30 PM
plasma has fallen behind IMHO. LCD is the only way to go unless you are looking for big, then go with DLP because for the size, price and what you get you cant go wrong. Just dont expect superior quality with DLP, the commericials overhype that. Granted far better than the old projection screens.

Make sure you buy a LCD with native resolution of 1920x1080. You will want to watch your 1080 HD content in its true resolution, not have it downscaled to 720 like most displays out there can only do. Just because the spec say capable of displaying 1080i doesnt mean you actually get 1080i. These are typically monitors with tuners in them, the tuner is capable of pulling in 1080i signals, but the native resolution most LCD or plasmas is only 1360x768. Now tell me how you are going to fit 1920x1080 into 1360x768? Something has to get shaved off, dont be fooled by what they say. You cant put more into less without lossing something in between. Plus none of those displays will ever be able to show 1080p from HD-DVD's without being downscaled as well. Why buy a HD display if you cant even watch the best HD format 1080p, just seems like a waste to me.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?MfrId=763&Nav=|c:386|&Sort=3&Recs=10

bottom of the list there is the 37" and 42" versions from sceptre, I bought the 37" in Jan and couldnt be happier overall. Would have bought the 42" but it was not available for purchase at the time. I am not sure though why the 42" is cheaper than the 37" right now, might be an error on the site cant verify this. The only downfalls I will say with my LCD is, speakers were cheap but will do, but HD signals sounds are digital and you should be using a home theater anyways for the best experience. The other things are remote is plain, and there was only one HDMI slot. I was told from sceptre that their remotes use the sony remote code and any sony learning remote should work fine. The one HDMI slot can be fixed with a HDMI switch box, I think they are around $40 for one. So they are minor downfalls overall, considering the Sharp AQUOS model(only comparable model at the time) was over double the price I paid for mine. A little too much to get an extra HDMI slot, better remote and better speakers IMHO.

Bottom line is get a display with 1920x1080 native resolution, dont settle for anything less. You dont want to be left out when you have 1080i or p formats to watch, or if you play games you will want that 1080 resolution for the sharpest images. 720 is the cheap HD format, granted 720p is better than 1080i, interlaced formats have a little trouble with action scenes, though not usually noticed by the human eye unless looking for it. Some DLP's have much higher than 1080 native resolution, but this is only good if you have a super gaming PC, as they are the only things really capable and would use higher resolution. Broadcast signals are not going to get higher than 1080i, and HD DVD's will not go beyond 1080p for a long time.

Thats my opinion on buying HD displays. I try to balance out bargain and best out there, get the best value for my dollar spent. Why spend alot more for something when you are really not getting alot more in return, bad investment. Look at my purchase, if I had wanted I could have picked up a second 37" and would have spent about the same for one Sharp model. Even if the Sharp was a little better quality, I still believe that if I would have bought 2 that they would far out weigh the value of the one Sharp. This is the reason why we are going to purchase another one this year, well it will be the 42" this time, and we will still spend less than one Sharp model.

How can you go wrong with one 37" and one 42" LCD both 1920x1080 native resolution for under $3000. Really is there any better deal out there?

PaceAdvantage
12-30-2006, 02:25 PM
Thank you very much for that! As someone who has fallen behind the times (I bought my humongous Sony HD projection TV in 2001....back then, I was kind of ahead of the times....at least I HAD HD....lol) in terms of research, this was a good brush-up.....

BillW
12-30-2006, 02:30 PM
A pretty good resource:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/home/tv.html

specifically:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/home/TV_chart.html

A veritable TV for dummies :p

gjones6794
12-30-2006, 11:50 PM
If it is important to you to make a good decision, do some research to get up to speed. The main types are LCD, LCD projection, Plasma, DLP. Each have their advantages and disadvanges. Don't buy one smaller than what you already have. You will not like it. There should be some good sale prices leading up to the super bowl. The 2006 closeouts will come in March to make way for the 2007 models. Be sure your TV has the features you want. HDMI ports, VGA port, PIP (if you want it), etc.