PDA

View Full Version : The Truth about Hydrogen.....Pop Mechanics

JustRalph
12-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Interesting article about Hydrogen Fuel........I thought this was interesting after hearing about BMW's decision to bring out some Hydrogen cars next year.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4199381.html

chickenhead
12-29-2006, 06:51 PM
it really amazes me this gets as much play as it does....the emperor has no clothes. It's a battery technology, nothing more, nothing less. There are much better batteries out there right now.

Don;t understand why they call out the need for a new type of nuclear facility to do the job, yet also list electrolysis as a method. Nuclear plants already produce electricity -- you wouldn't need to wait for a new type of plant to come online. The nuclear plants of today can produce hydrogen with zero CO2 emmisions.

We will see more and more hybrids, and as batteries get better we will see the ICE get smaller and smaller, and the batteries carry more and more of the load.

Not sure if we'll ever see hydrogen cells in cars, but I am definately NOT terribly interested in subsidizing them. Not beyond anything we do for hybrids at least, which means they won't be cost effective for, I don't know, the next 20-30 years at least.