PDA

View Full Version : Jockey pay- workouts?

kenwoodallpromos
12-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Should there be a minimum pay for jockeys riding in workouts (in states that have slots?)- and how is it done now?

jballscalls
12-29-2006, 04:25 PM
I thought jockey's worked for free in the mornings in able to get mounts in the afternoon? I know that exercise riders get paid for riding in the mornings, but i thought that the jocks rode for free in order to get mounts.

Buddha
12-29-2006, 05:31 PM
Yea, most jocks work for free in the AM.

Suff
12-29-2006, 05:49 PM
Exersize riders at Suffolk Downs get $10.00 a ride in the Morning. If your a regular with a Big Barn you can get 8-12 rides a day. Of course most barns don't have enough stock to give out 10 a day.

Rudy Turcotte, whose brother Ron rode Secratariat and Riva Ridge is a $10.00 excersize rider at Suffolk.

stu
12-29-2006, 09:29 PM
During my short career as a jockey agent, the only time that my riders got paid to work a horse was when the horse's regular rider was out of town, the horse needed a drill, and we were absolutely not getting the call on race day.

In this situation, the rider usually refuses the pay because accepting the pay downgrades you from jockey to exercise rider and your marketability for the afternoon dropped off the table.

When the rider takes the pay in this situation, the jockey agents start looking for a replacement jockey, and the jockey starts looking for a replacement agent.

Stu

Tom
12-30-2006, 10:07 AM
Around here, the pay is you might get a mount in a real race.