PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Wage

RobinFromIreland
12-29-2006, 11:34 AM
The minimum wage here is being increased in a couple of days to €8.30 (US$10.95) per hour. Next July, this will increase to €8.65 (US$11.40) per hour. Considering, 9 years ago, my first job (albeit at 15yo) paid the equivalent of €3.15 (US$4.15) per hour, times have certainly changed here.

Is there a minimum wage in the US and how does the above compare?

Suff
12-29-2006, 11:53 AM
The minimum wage here is being increased in a couple of days to €8.30 (US$10.95) per hour. Next July, this will increase to €8.65 (US$11.40) per hour. Considering, 9 years ago, my first job (albeit at 15yo) paid the equivalent of €3.15 (US$4.15) per hour, times have certainly changed here.

Is there a minimum wage in the US and how does the above compare?

The Federal Minimum Wage is $5.15 per hour.

It excludes certain professions such as Bartenders, Waitress's, Commission sales people and other jobs that get paid on tips or performance.

Some states enact there own. Such as Massachusetts where the Minimum wage is $7.15.

No state is obligated to follow the Federal Minimum wage guidlines. States must pass thier own law that requires employers to pay the federal minimum.

44 of the 50 have passed such a law. Alabama, Louisiannia, Missisippi, Tennessee, South Carolina and Arizona have no minimum wage law.

chickenhead
12-29-2006, 12:16 PM
I was listening to a famous Irish guy last night on Charlie Rose...rugby player, former CEO of HJ Heinz, forget his name, Sir something.

He pointed out the fantastic prosperity of southern Ireland, and pointed out the 12.5% corporate tax rate. Thought that was interesting, I didn't realize it was so low. Consumption tax is still high, income taxes sounded about the same as here, but the corporate rate there is much lower.

kenwoodallpromos
12-29-2006, 12:28 PM
"The federal minimum wage for covered, nonexempt employees is $5.15 per hour. The federal minimum wage provisions are contained in the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Many states also have minimum wage laws. In cases where an employee is subject to both the state and federal minimum wage laws, the employee is entitled to the higher of the two minimum wages."
____
Any Federal law supersedes any law in a smaller jurisdiction, and the tighter/higher law prevails. In any state where that state has no minimum wage, the Federal law is in effect. Works that way for every law. Except with taxes, you have to pay both, not just the higher; so some people pay 50% combined income tax. That covers the employer's share of taxes to!LOL!!

Steve 'StatMan'
12-29-2006, 01:48 PM
Minimum wage in Illinois has been, I believe $6.50, but our governor just signed the legistation to make it $7.50. In Chicagoland, most of the smaller, common jobs, like in fast food, at least in the Northwest Sububrs near Arlington Park, have paid $8 to $9 an hour for several years. The cost of living in Chicago is higher, however, than elsewhere in the state. I expect it to go everywhere - food prices just rose, some significantly, at my normal drive-thrus.

RobinFromIreland
12-29-2006, 02:45 PM
I was listening to a famous Irish guy last night on Charlie Rose...rugby player, former CEO of HJ Heinz, forget his name, Sir something.

He pointed out the fantastic prosperity of southern Ireland, and pointed out the 12.5% corporate tax rate. Thought that was interesting, I didn't realize it was so low. Consumption tax is still high, income taxes sounded about the same as here, but the corporate rate there is much lower.

Sir Anthony O'Reilly, worth a billion or so. Had quite a life.

Ireland is one of the richest (and most expensive) countries in the world now. Seems like the US mimimum wage is altogether very low though.

kenwoodallpromos
12-29-2006, 04:07 PM

Ireland is one of the richest (and most expensive) countries in the world now. Seems like the US mimimum wage is altogether very low though.
Seems even lower in blue states.

Suff
12-29-2006, 04:10 PM

It swings on America's richard to a large extent. Intel and Dell make up a big chunk of GDP, Internal Expenditures, and Exports.

I've got friends and family that pond jump frequently. They, as well as myself are put off by the tremendous anti-American attitude amongst the young Irish. Even the Irish that were born there, and return often, are coming back to America and reporting on an Ireland they never knew.

Its one thing to have an issue with a Current President....The Irish economy is being called the "Celtic Tiger", Its mainly due to swinging on America's dick, and is hard to stomach the things I'm hearing.

PlanB
12-29-2006, 04:21 PM
The corp tax RATE may be lower, BUT, most of our major players are Multi-Nat'l, with independent foreign set-ups, and so they pay LESS tax then it seems. Toss in currency adjustments via US dollars, and profits grow. Ireand is a great example of an ECONOMIC POLICY, something that 43 & his gang do not, and will never, understand. It's something called POLICY, which implies a thinking brain, a point of view of fiscal matters.