PDA

View Full Version : DRIVE DRUNK GO TO PRISON.

44PACE
12-29-2006, 02:10 AM
Soon it will be New Years Eve and their will be many SCUMBAGS who will get drunk and latter drive home.These Pond Scum will not give it a second thought that they may kill someone on their drive home.

Anyone who kills someone becouse they were driving drunk deserves Life in Prison without the possibilitly of parole. They are commiting first degree murder and they should get the penalty they deserve.

Be carefull out there, you are driving for 2.

singunner
12-29-2006, 04:36 AM
Alcohol is a drug that is legal in America. It impairs the judgment that would normally allow you to know that driving while intoxicated is a bad idea. To say that it is the driver's fault is easy for those who don't want to take responsibility for the ills of society.

That being said, I've never driven after more than a few drinks, but I happen to be a very capable, intelligent individual.

If you applied your heavy hand more evenly, you'd find it far less severe, and as likely at your own throat as another's. And I believe, last I checked, that people falling asleep at the wheel is a far greater cause of death on both sides of the road than intoxication. I could be mistaken, but all the same, when you point one finger towards someone else, the rest are point straight back at you. So if you can't take the time to extend your hand to someone else, please just smile and wave on the sidelines.

Suff
12-29-2006, 10:11 AM
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/bushdmv1.html

GameTheory
12-29-2006, 12:37 PM
Alcohol is a drug that is legal in America. It impairs the judgment that would normally allow you to know that driving while intoxicated is a bad idea. To say that it is the driver's fault is easy for those who don't want to take responsibility for the ills of society.The only people I have known to drive drunk know full well they are going to do it before they start to drink, and will continue to make excuses after they sober up and tell you how they are going to do again next time simply because they don't want to bother arranging some other method to get home.

If I point the finger of blame at someone doing something wrong, it means that I am willing to accept responsibility if I do that same thing myself. Of course.

So what are you saying? It is not the driver's fault because alcohol is legal? (But it is illegal to drive after drinking, so maybe it is his fault after all.) Or because we have "ills" in society nothing is anybody's fault?

njcurveball
12-29-2006, 02:06 PM
And I believe, last I checked, that people falling asleep at the wheel is a far greater cause of death on both sides of the road than intoxication. .

Well I am sorry, but your estimate is about 10,000% wrong!!!!

Here are the 2005 statistics as per the NHTSA

Speeding 13,113 (40% drunk drivers)
Drunk Driving 16,919
Traffic Light Running 900
Fatigue (and falling asleep) 1,500

Speeding: In 2005, 13,113 lives were lost due to speed-related accidents. Speeding was a contributing factor in 30 percent of all fatal crashes. In 2005, 38 percent of 15- to 20-year old male drivers who were involved in fatal crashes were speeding at the time of the crash. NHTSA says that speed-related crashes cost Americans $40.4 billion each year. A crash is considered speed related when the driver is charged with a speed-related offense or a law enforcement officer indicates that exceeding the posted speed limit, driving too fast for conditions or racing was a contributing factor.

Drunk Driving: There is an alcohol-related traffic fatality every 31 minutes and an alcohol-related traffic injury every 2 minutes. In 2005, 16,885 people died in alcohol-related crashes, down 0.2 percent from 16,919 in 2004. Alcohol was involved in 39 percent of all crash fatalities in 2005. (See Drunk Driving paper.) Alcohol-related crashes are defined as those where someone involved, either a driver or a nonoccupant such as a pedestrian or bicyclist, had a traceable amount of alcohol in his or her blood.

Drunk Driving and Speeding: In 2005, 40 percent of intoxicated drivers (with a blood-alcohol content at or above 0.08, the definition of drunkenness) involved in fatal crashes were speeding, compared with 14 percent of sober drivers involved in fatal crashes.

Red Light Running: The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) says that more than 900 people a year die and nearly 2,000 are injured as a result of vehicles running red lights. About half of those deaths are pedestrians and occupants of other vehicles who are hit by red light runners.

Fatigue: NHTSA statistics show that at least 100,000 crashes and 1,500 deaths each year are the result of drivers falling asleep at the wheel. A 2002 poll, conducted by the National Sleep Foundation, found that 100 million drivers, close to half of American adult drivers, drive while drowsy and nearly two out of ten admitted to having fallen asleep at the wheel. New Jersey passed a law in 2003 that equates falling asleep at the wheel with reckless driving, and, if a driver falls asleep and kills someone in a crash, he or she can be charged with vehicular homicide and serve up to ten years in jail and pay fines. Although four states have considered similar legislation, New Jersey is the only state with such a law on the books.

delayjf
12-29-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm not advocating drunk driving, but life without possibility of parole is a bit harsh. Maybe for multiple offenders - but nobody I know gets drunk with the intent of crashing into a family of six on the way home.

If you get caught, you pay the price. But I firmly believe that 99.9% of American drinkers at one time or another has driving legally intoxicated.

njcurveball
12-29-2006, 03:01 PM
If you get caught, you pay the price. But I firmly believe that 99.9% of American drinkers at one time or another has driving legally intoxicated.

Do you work the tobacco industry? I am sure your next line will be that we are going to die from something anyway! :lol:

PlanB
12-29-2006, 03:04 PM
I'm not advocating drunk driving, but life without possibility of parole is a bit harsh. Maybe for multiple offenders - but nobody I know gets drunk with the intent of crashing into a family of six on the way home.

Yeah, if cops just randomly followed guys from bars their arrest rate would zoom. I'm very happy living in manhattan where I use to hit 6 places a night & just say, TAXI. It prevents a lot of trouble.

44PACE
12-29-2006, 04:04 PM

You have to be kidding?. A drunk driver kills a kids dad or mom becouse of his or hers stupidity and you think Life in Prison is a bit Harsh. The people that these creeps kill get NO PAROLE FROM THEIR CASKETS.They are DEAD, never to walk the face of earth again, their families lifes are ruined forever.

99.9% of drivers have driven intox one time or the other ,did you make this stat up before or after you downed that bottle of Jack Daniels?

Most drunk drivers are REPEAT offenders they drive drunk over and over there are many you have been arrested many times for DWI. The problem we have is that we need to have tougher penalties for DWI. If you get caught driving drunk without an accident you should lose your license for 5 years, if you drive after this happens without a license you should be sent to prison for 5 years.

Enough is enough build more prisons if you need to atleast our tax dollars will do some good.

kenwoodallpromos
12-29-2006, 04:08 PM
Don't forget the coke freaks who also drive drunk.

PlanB
12-29-2006, 04:08 PM
DelayJF agreed that repeat offenders shoud get slammed, but it's life man, and nuances make for better judgments. I'm wondering how repeaters get their licenses back so soon. Maybe if we made them pay more they wouldn't hog the road so soon.

Suff
12-29-2006, 04:19 PM
99.9% of drivers have driven intox one time or the other ,did you make this stat up before or after you downed that bottle of Jack Daniels?

What Percentage do you think it is? Its unquantifiable but I'd guess its 50% leaning towards 51.

Taking a stance against drunk driving, calling them pond scum, and scum bags ,takes about as much courage as petting a kitten.

Your a Brave Warrior.

GameTheory
12-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Taking a stance against drunk driving, calling them pond scum, and scum bags ,takes about as much courage as petting a kitten.
What does that have to do with anything? It doesn't take any courage to call murderers, rapists, and child molesters scum either. Doesn't make it false.

PlanB
12-29-2006, 04:28 PM
What Percentage do you think it is? Its unquantifiable but I'd guess its 50% leaning towards 51.

Your a Brave Warrior.

I agree. Where's the solution? Decapitate everyone & who would be left? Me of course, but what fun would that be?

Suff
12-29-2006, 04:46 PM
What does that have to do with anything? It doesn't take any courage to call murderers, rapists, and child molesters scum either. Doesn't make it false.

Its a point. A point. That it takes no bravado, nor is it going out on a limb to call for crucifiction of people who fall prey to personal demons or vice's.

I don't think its productive, insightful, useful or courageous to announce to a group of guys that drunk drivers are pond scum.

Further.... Are we at Church? Last I looked this was a group of Gamblers. I can say without reservation that the percentage of guys in this demographic that have driven while high, is two or three times the national average.

Whatever. DUI'rs are scum bags. Ok.

GameTheory
12-29-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm sorry -- I didn't realize if someone gets drunk and runs over a whole family and kills them that we should be feeling sorry for the driver. What was I thinking?

Excuse me, I have to get on my front porch and randomly shoot bullets into the street because of my personal demons. If I kill someone, I'm sure they'll understand...

Suff
12-29-2006, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE]
I'm sorry -- I didn't realize if someone gets drunk and runs over a whole family and kills them that we should be feeling sorry for the driver. What was I thinking?
Where are you getting "feel sorry"?

Excuse me, I have to get on my front porch and randomly shoot bullets into the street because of my personal demons. If I kill someone, I'm sure they'll understand

Are you attemtping to suggest I ( or others) don't encourgage consequences for people who break the law? Where are you getting that? That'll I'll understand?

I do understand by the way. Meaning, I've seen many a good men make mistakes. They got consequences, and thats that. I don't call them anything, or dramatize thier misconduct, or build myself up by taking them down.

GameTheory
12-29-2006, 05:13 PM
I don't call them anything, or dramatize thier misconduct, or build myself up by taking them down.I wish you would. Stigmatizing a behavior does have its uses, you know. You generally get less of it. The more "understanding" we have about it, the more people keep doing what they do, and the more people get killed.

In other words, if a buddy of yours drives drunk, do you tell him he is being an irresponsible asshole and kick him in the butt; or do you tell him hey, everybody does it, just be careful buddy. Coming from a friend, there is a decent chance he'd listen to you in either case...

Suff
12-29-2006, 05:23 PM
I wish you would. Stigmatizing a behavior does have its uses, you know. You generally get less of it. The more "understanding" we have about it, the more people keep doing what they do, and the more people get killed.

Personally, I don't like using shame as a behavioral restraint. This was a common theme in the Irish family dynamic. I can tell you first hand, that it mess's up people's minds.

But I do agree in theory. Last week my friends Jeep was broken into. While we waited for the Cops, he said he was going to tell the Cop that he had a Lap Top in the car. I did'nt shame him, I just told him. Don't roll like that. Nothing in life is free.

44PACE
12-29-2006, 05:46 PM

Your a Brave Warrior.

I must have hit a nerve with you. When you get your license back don't make the same mistake.

Suff
12-29-2006, 05:56 PM
I must have hit a nerve with you. When you get your license back don't make the same mistake.

I have my license. I must have hit a nerve with you.

You must have me confused with some other group of people who get intimidated by your tough talk..

I got busted for DUI in 96 in Miami, and 99 in Boston. So I'm a multiple offender .

Ok Brave one?. Now you want to answer the questions posed? Or just run your pie hole about who is pond scum?

btw.. Did you click on the link to see your lord and savior is a pond scum drunken driver?

delayjf
12-29-2006, 06:24 PM
You have to be kidding?. A drunk driver kills a kids dad or mom becouse of his or hers stupidity and you think Life in Prison is a bit Harsh. The people that these creeps kill get NO PAROLE FROM THEIR CASKETS.They are DEAD, never to walk the face of earth again, their families lifes are ruined forever.

I'm not saying they should not do time, only that life without parole is a bit harsh. One does not have to be drunk or legally intoxicated to accidentially kill someone, assuming most accidental deaths involve some level of stupidity, should they get a life sentence as well?

99.9% of drivers have driven intox one time or the other ,did you make this stat up before or after you downed that bottle of Jack Daniels? Naw, stayed at a holiday Inn express last night. But think about it, these days about 2 drinks is all it takes to put you over the limit. How many people go to a bar or party or what ever and have at least that many and drive home without waiting the hour or two for the alchol to get out of their system. I'll bet a lot more than 50%.

Look, I'm not defending drunk driving and I'm for those who drink and kill someone to do time, I just don't equate drunking motor vehicle homicide with 1st degree murder. If I lost a friend or relative, I might be more emotional about the issue and agree with you.

Just so you know, I plan on walking to the closest bar to celebrate New years. Hope to see all of you back here next year, Happy New Year.

Trax21
12-29-2006, 07:26 PM
The Drunk Driving stats give numbers for alcohol related crashes which are not necessarily drunks. If anyone involved can have a trace of alcohol to qualify as alcohol related, then I would imagine there are quite a few that do not involve drunks at all. In fact, Some accidents involve only the victim with alcohol and not the driver who caused the accident.

So...as a society, we currently accept all of these accidents where the level of alcohol was under 0.08.

Also, the Speeding figures at the heading indicate 40% of 13,113 were by drunks. But if we look closer and read the Drunk Driving and Speeding text, we see that 40% of Drunk Drivers involved in fatal crashes were also speeding (not 40% of the speeders were drunk).

I'm sure that everyone is against drunk driving, but why do many seem to want to hang the 0.08 or above driver but the speeder is accepted? It may be because most of us speed. Maybe it's stirring up dust to cover our own tracks.

singunner
12-29-2006, 10:30 PM
1) Drink
2) Get caught drunk-driving
3) Be chastised by the holier-thans until you bleed
4) Drink to get away

It doesn't take a genius to see that a little understanding (not forgiveness) might alleviate the situation a bit. If you've ever known a real alcoholic (someone who could never help themselves), you would know that not all humans are born perfect.

It's good to see so many people here enlightened enough to know that the moral center does not lie with the vocal majority or within themselves. I really didn't expect this much of a positive response.

Then again, maybe Formula2002 can give us the statistical probability of someone on these boards drinking a bit more than the average citizen.

singunner
12-29-2006, 10:42 PM
I like that if someone is drunk walking down the street and is hit by a perfectly sober person, that's considered a "Drunk-driving related accident". Here I thought I was being big about never having driven drunk, but it turns out I've been in thousands of cases where I could have caused a Drunk-Driving accident. Way to go MADD.

44PACE
12-29-2006, 11:32 PM
I have my license. I must have hit a nerve with you.

You must have me confused with some other group of people who get intimidated by your tough talk..

I got busted for DUI in 96 in Miami, and 99 in Boston. So I'm a multiple offender .

Ok Brave one?. Now you want to answer the questions posed? Or just run your pie hole about who is pond scum?

btw.. Did you click on the link to see your lord and savior is a pond scum drunken driver?

Boy what a foul mouth you have. I never stated what the % of people are that drive drunk I was responding to another poster who stated 99 % which is ridiculous.

Before you wish to engage in a battle of wits, you need to take inventory, you may be a little short.

2 time offender I hope you got jail time.

44PACE
12-29-2006, 11:39 PM
The reason I brought this subject up was that it was my hope that maybe someone would give a little thought this weekend before they drive after drinking, maybe it would save a life.

I canno't understand anyone being pro drunk driving , this is insane. I could care less if some one gets drunk as long as they don't drive. If someone wishes to do harm to themselves that is their right, but it is not their right to put in danger other people. :bang: :bang:

Trax21
12-30-2006, 12:11 AM
Just a little clarification here as I see a little mix up.

delayjf originally stated that he believed that 99.9% of American DRINKERS have driven legally intoxicated.

It then got off track when some replies were as if it were 99.9% of DRIVERS have driven legally intoxicated.

As for myself, I would think that most drinkers have driven over the legal limit. Going back through the days with a foggy memory I don't think I can name one drinker that I have known that didn't likely violate the law at one time or another.

Anyway, I did go to the link provided by Suff and also noticed on page 1 that his partner has been popped twice himself.

JustRalph
12-30-2006, 12:27 AM
But think about it, these days about 2 drinks is all it takes to put you over the limit. How many people go to a bar or party or what ever and have at least that many and drive home without waiting the hour or two for the alchol to get out of their system. I'll bet a lot more than 50%.

Actually about 4 standard drinks (hard booze, Vodka, Gin Bourbon etc) and 5-6 beers depending on the size of the person. Generally .02 per drink and a about 1.4 with the beers. Beers tend to take a little longer to drink on average.

You put about .02 back thru your liver (as long as it is functioning right) per hour. This is an average person. Your mileage may differ. In my experience a little less than .02 on most people, per hour.

44PACE
12-30-2006, 01:05 AM
Trax.

Whatever the number is, its too much.Drunk Driving is not a moral issue like some people make it out to be rather its a safety issue. 3 years ago a drunk driver almost hit me in a head on collision, if I didn't drive my car off the road we would have been both killed. He was driving in my lane in excess of 40 to 50 miles per hour weaving in and out of my lane. Less than 3 seconds is all that seperated our cars.

It makes me sick when I hear that someone has been arrested 5 times for drunk driving. Why are they allowed to be out in society. They are Pond scum becouse they don't give a dam about anyone but themselves. They don't care that they may kill someone.

What we need is tougher punishment not lowering the intox levels. If I had my way:

First time..... 5 years no licence
2nd time....... No licence for life.
3rd time........ Prison

I also believe that other crimes such as rape, murder etc... need much longer sentances..... and tougher, none of this TV in your cell stuff, you get nothing just the 4 walls to look at23 hours a day.

LurkingBettor
12-30-2006, 03:24 AM
You put about .02 back thru your liver (as long as it is functioning right) per hour. This is an average person. Your mileage may differ. In my experience a little less than .02 on most people, per hour.

JR, would you mind expounding on this? Does it mean that your body gets rid of .02 per hour if your liver processes correctly?

Thanks,
LB

singunner
12-30-2006, 07:01 AM
The quality of life in prison is meant to lower the amount of money spent on guards to put down uprisings brought on by the poor quality of prisons. Happy prisoners is a lower bottom-line for the woefully under-funded US prison system. 44PACE, do you EVER look at the reasons for something or just pass judgment on face value?

And for when you said "all I wanted to do was have people think twice before driving drunk", perhaps you should have looked at the language you used to say it. You said it like a preacher telling us we're going to your idea of Hell if we don't do what you say. [sentence deleted due to content]

As for the reality of drunk driving, my best friend's mother died suddenly of a heart attack some 10 years ago while he was staying the night at my house. We all loved his mother a great deal and hundreds of people were deeply pained by her loss. A couple days before the one year anniversary of her death, her father went out drinking to cope (not that alcohol ever helps with that). The exact details of how they found his truck are fuzzy, but the end result was that I called my friend "brother" from that day onward. The incredible strength of character of that man and the immense pain of his wife's death suffered by him are something I never hope to see again in my life. If you ever call that man "pond scum" in my hometown or if you ever say it to my face... [once again, I'd prefer not to say what I mean to say]

End of thread.

Tom
12-30-2006, 11:04 AM
THIS THREAD IS BEST READ WHILE DRUNK.

Makes a lot more sense that way.:lol:

Suff
12-30-2006, 01:29 PM
Boy what a foul mouth you have. I never stated what the % of people are that drive drunk I was responding to another poster who stated 99 % which is ridiculous.

Before you wish to engage in a battle of wits, you need to take inventory, you may be a little short.

2 time offender I hope you got jail time.

I do have a foul mouth. But not in this thread. (so far) By my math your the one that came in swinging sledgehammers.

I've asked you twice to comment on multiple drunk driver George Bush, but you seem unwilling to comment on that. Never mind the fact that the first lady did, through negilnce , kill a young man with her car. Lets forget that, and see if you comment on pulling the lever for a man to the highest office in the land who is a convicted drunk driver?

If your true intention of the post was to make members here think twice about driving drunk then I'd reccommend a more effective way of doing so. When I read your post I wanted to get drunk and drive my car into your living room...:D

Drunk Driving is irresponsible and reckless. Society has really cracked down on it. The old days,, the cop might take your keys to the station and have you pick them up in the morning. Sometime's they'd give a guy a ride home. Those days are gone.

Its the high ground trap that you set that prompted my reply. I see you more of a person that is trying to make yourself feel better about yourself. Your taking pot shots at societies current pariah's. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know?, Your just a few alphabet letters on a message board.

44PACE
12-30-2006, 02:32 PM
The quality of life in prison is meant to lower the amount of money spent on guards to put down uprisings brought on by the poor quality of prisons. Happy prisoners is a lower bottom-line for the woefully under-funded US prison system. 44PACE, do you EVER look at the reasons for something or just pass judgment on face value?

And for when you said "all I wanted to do was have people think twice before driving drunk", perhaps you should have looked at the language you used to say it. You said it like a preacher telling us we're going to your idea of Hell if we don't do what you say. [sentence deleted due to content]

As for the reality of drunk driving, my best friend's mother died suddenly of a heart attack some 10 years ago while he was staying the night at my house. We all loved his mother a great deal and hundreds of people were deeply pained by her loss. A couple days before the one year anniversary of her death, her father went out drinking to cope (not that alcohol ever helps with that). The exact details of how they found his truck are fuzzy, but the end result was that I called my friend "brother" from that day onward. The incredible strength of character of that man and the immense pain of his wife's death suffered by him are something I never hope to see again in my life. If you ever call that man "pond scum" in my hometown or if you ever say it to my face... [once again, I'd prefer not to say what I mean to say]

End of thread.

I am not preaching! I said that I don't care if a person chooses to drink. I said that I am against people driving while they are drunk, is this too difficult for you to comprehend?

44PACE
12-30-2006, 02:48 PM
I do have a foul mouth. But not in this thread. (so far) By my math your the one that came in swinging sledgehammers.

I've asked you twice to comment on multiple drunk driver George Bush, but you seem unwilling to comment on that. Never mind the fact that the first lady did, through negilnce , kill a young man with her car. Lets forget that, and see if you comment on pulling the lever for a man to the highest office in the land who is a convicted drunk driver?

If your true intention of the post was to make members here think twice about driving drunk then I'd reccommend a more effective way of doing so. When I read your post I wanted to get drunk and drive my car into your living room...:D

Drunk Driving is irresponsible and reckless. Society has really cracked down on it. The old days,, the cop might take your keys to the station and have you pick them up in the morning. Sometime's they'd give a guy a ride home. Those days are gone.

Its the high ground trap that you set that prompted my reply. I see you more of a person that is trying to make yourself feel better about yourself. Your taking pot shots at societies current pariah's. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know?, Your just a few alphabet letters on a message board.

First I never read Links that people provide, so I didn't know what you were talking about. I wouldn't give a free pass to even the President if he got drunk and drove a car throw him in jail.

Everyone has something they hate, I hate it when people drive drunk becouse sometimes they kill someone.I do not use profanity this is why I use words like Pond Scum whatever it is better than #####.

If you knew anything about me you would know that I don't have to put down anyone to elevate myself. This is for people that are jealous of others and hate their own lives .I have been very fortunate to have had the opportunities to be successfull in life which I am gratefull for.

Lets just put this one to bed. I wish for everyone to remain safe in this new year.

Peace be with You.

Suff
12-30-2006, 03:16 PM
Lets just put this one to bed. I wish for everyone to remain safe in this new year.

Peace be with You.

Have a nice day. Hit a Race.