PDA

View Full Version : Tom DeLay

Dave Schwartz
10-24-2002, 05:00 PM
Okay, so today I get a call from someone asking for me... something about Tom Delay's "press release."

As a card-carrying Rep. I listen to the pitch. It goes something like this:

"Mr. DeLay is setting up a business advisory council and wants 'business men like you' on it." (Bet you didn't know I was this important, did you?)

It continues... "We need the support of people who understand the business climate... yatta, yatta, yatta... Can we count on you?"

I say, "And what does 'count on me' entail, exactly?"

"Just to be an advisor."

Well, this is getting interesting... imagine, me advising, uh, uh... "Who will I be advising?"

That is when the truth came out. They just want me to be an "honorary" advisor. Ah, that word... Have you ever noticed that "honorary" is rarely a adjective that comes free?

Ultimately, the pitch was that for $500 I could have my name listed in the Wall Street Journal as being an honorary advisor! Imagine!

Okay, now for some seriousness... Has anyone else gotten a call like this or is it because I am on a sucker list somewhere?

And where does a representative from Texas get off asking someone from out of state for money?

Am I missing something here?

I look forward to your opinions.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Kappa
10-24-2002, 05:48 PM
Dave,

Remember that $20 donation you made to the party's 'general fund' in 1984? Well, once on the list, you know.....

BillW
10-24-2002, 08:59 PM
Damn, I thought he just reserved that honor for locals! ... musta have bought HP mags. mailing list. :)

Bill

Tom
10-24-2002, 09:45 PM
I got a letter from "Who's Who in Business" and for $49.95 I could get myself listed and enjoy all the bragging rights.
I think I'll stay listed in "Who's That?"