PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!

highnote
12-28-2006, 03:29 AM
I'm travelling for a few days and need to run some Visual Basic programs. I backed up my desktop hard drive to an external hard drive. I have the external drive with me, but can't figure out how to get the VB editor to run from the external drive. I usually don't compile my programs. I just run them in edit mode so that I can make changes when necessary. If I had thought to compile all my programs before I left I wouldn't have this problem.

So if you know how to run Visual Basic 6.0 from a backed up external drive I would be very grateful.

I tried booting my laptop from the external drive, but that didn't work. I don't know why it won't -- I was under the impression it was an exact copy of my desktop hard drive.

The external drive is a Seagate. The backup software came with the external drive and is by a company called cmsproducts (I think).

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

Happy New Year!!

PaceAdvantage
12-28-2006, 03:37 AM
You would need VB6 installed on the host machine, correct? As long as you have it installed, you should be able to open your code provided it is in the same directory and on the same drive letter as your source hard drive....

Bathless
12-28-2006, 10:35 AM
I'm still using VB4 (not doing enough programming now to justify the upgrade and just plain cheap). I have 2 hard drives; the smaller, secondary is for backup images; the larger primary is partitioned (C,D,E). In an effort to have Windows only on the 'C' drive, I installed VB4 on the 'D', but I never could get it to run there.

At the time, it wasn't worth any big investigative effort, so I reinstalled on my 'C' drive, but VB appears to be 'fussy' about where it is launched from and where the program files (i.e., my user programs) reside. The 'C:/Program Files' folder may be a requirement, but I'm not absolutely sure of that.

highnote
12-28-2006, 12:48 PM
You would need VB6 installed on the host machine, correct? As long as you have it installed, you should be able to open your code provided it is in the same directory and on the same drive letter as your source hard drive....

That's what I'm thinking -- that it has to be installed on the host drive -- which it isn't.

I was hoping to get some programming done while I was travelling. Oh well. Now I'll just have to spend more time with the in-laws. :D

robert99
12-28-2006, 03:55 PM
For Windows you need to add a PATH statement to System that tells Windows where to find VB software files. Without that it will only look on the C Drive.

highnote
12-28-2006, 06:35 PM
For Windows you need to add a PATH statement to System that tells Windows where to find VB software files. Without that it will only look on the C Drive.

Robert,
Thanks. I found the VB application on my external "E:" drive. I ran it, but it can't find certain dll's. I am sure you are correct when you say I need to tell it where to look.

Could you give me an example of adding a PATH statement to System. It used to be easy with DOS using Config.sys or Autoexec.bat. Not sure how to do it Win XP.

Thanks.

John

robert99
12-28-2006, 08:06 PM
John,

The following link explains the basics for XP.
I use Java but VB should be similar to identify where the VB interpreter files are stored.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm

JustRalph
12-28-2006, 10:53 PM
how does the external drive connect? I assume USB........ and that can be a problem...........

highnote
01-01-2007, 12:56 AM
how does the external drive connect? I assume USB........ and that can be a problem...........

Yep. Connects with USB.

However, I'm home now. So this won't be an issue next time. I'll be sure to install VB on my laptop.