PDA

View Full Version : Having Computer Sound Problems

trying2win
12-26-2006, 05:22 PM
Recently I had a computer crash. After a Windows XP reinstall, I've pretty well got everything going again, except the sound (and some video problems here and there). When I try to start some media players, here is one error message I get:

"BAD DIRECT SOUND DRIVER. PLEASE INSTALL PROPER DRIVERS OR SELECT ANOTHER DEVICE IN CONFIGURATION".

ERROR CODE: 88780078

--As per usual, any so-called HELP PAGE that Microsoft offers is 'next to useless'

--Do sound cards get fried sometimes in computer crashes and need to be replaced, or is just a case of downloading some new drivers or ???. Or, can one fix the sound and video problems easily by just pressing a few buttons here and there, as part of the diagnostic and repair process?

--This computer crash has been a challenge and opportunity lately for me to learn some more new things in troubleshooting and fixing some computer problems. That's the positive way to look at this situation anyway...lol.

Thanks,

T2W

bigmack
12-26-2006, 05:30 PM
Click Start - go to "My computer" right click - go down to "properties" go up to "hardware" go to "device manager" When you see the "sound video and game controllers" there should be a yellow tab showing that your sound card driver is not installed. Right click where the yellow is and click "update driver"

trying2win
12-26-2006, 06:32 PM
BIG MACK:

Thanks for the tip. Just one thing. There is no yellow tab besides the 'sound, video and game controllers', but there is a yellow question mark beside the
'MULTIMEDIA AUDIO CONTOLLER' and another yellow question mark beside the 'VIDEO CONTROLLER'. When I click on the latter two yellow question marks, it shows comments in each case about:

1. "The drivers for this device are not installed"...then:

2. "If the hardware comes with an installation CD install it now"

--I'm assuming that's the WINDOWS XP cd disc...but I'm not sure

3. "Install the software automatically" (recommended).

--So, do the above instructions mean, insert the WINDOWS XP cd disc, then click that "Install the software automatically' line? I know these may sound like dumb questions, but I don't want to do the wrong procedure by assuming certain things and screw up the computer by pressing wrong buttons.

Thanks,

T2W

bigmack
12-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Nah T2W, You shant need to use the XP disk just have it search for it automatically and it should be on you computer somewhere. When you see the yellow colored tab, right click on it and "update driver"

JustRalph
12-26-2006, 08:38 PM
depends on what soundcard is in the machine.....could you list what sound card is in the machine? ....... if there is no windows driver........on the Winxp disk.......you need to get it from the manufactures website........... you should have received drivers when you bought the machine........look for a disk with them. Then click "update drivers" and point to the disk.

You need a video driver too. You are probably using a generic one from windows.

it helps whenever asking these types of questions in a public forum is you list as much info as possible.

trying2win
12-26-2006, 09:21 PM
BIG MACK:

I followed the instructons in your latest post in this thread regarding 'updating the drivers'. Presto! It worked. I've got the audio and video back in working order. Thanks a million! That made my day.

Regards,

T2W

trying2win
12-26-2006, 09:23 PM
RALPH:

Thanks for the advice. I'll remember your tips if I have this kind of computer problem again.

Regards,

T2W