PDA

View Full Version : 3yo dirt to turf

cj's dad
12-26-2006, 01:02 PM
As the 2007 season approaches, I have this question regarding the switch from dirt to turf particularly with 3 year olds. As 2 year olds, some or most have not been exposed to the turf course in a racing situation. Other than breeding, are there any other positive or negative signs to look for in the PP's on the main track?

:confused:

boomman
12-26-2006, 01:12 PM
CJ: Although breeding and use of the tomlinson numbers can be helpful, I would also suggest that you take a look at trainers who have a longterm (as in many starts) high win or in the $$$ percentage with this kind of move. Seems to hold true and makes for a nice combination when coupling these 2 major factors together... has helped me hit some high dollar supers, especially in large fields with 2 year olds going to the lawn for the 1st time...Hope that helps! Boom

Tom
12-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Pedigree, trainer, jock.....I totally ignore everything - and I mean everything - in dirt PP's. The worse they look, the better.

Poly, now, might change things a bit....poly PPs might prove to be more predictive of good turf ability.

The Judge
12-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Not sure what can be learned from the PP's but from watching a horse run on the dirt you can often tell a horse with a "turf stride" it is different from the horses without such a stride. Both the front legs seem to go out together and propell the horse forward with a little hight action. Alot like a rocking horse.

You have to see it. I would take note and combine with any other angles that might work.