PDA

View Full Version : Discovery channel show on horse racing

BillW
12-25-2006, 03:17 PM
At 4:00 PM EST today the Discovery-Times channel has a horse racing documentary (I guess :confused: ) by some investigative journalist named Charlie LeDuff. I have no idea what it's about - caveat emptor :)

Tom
12-25-2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks, Bill, and Merry Christmas to you.
Just got time to tune in.

BillW
12-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Thanks, Bill, and Merry Christmas to you.
Just got time to tune in.
Same to you Tom. BTW I do know this is a replay but I don't remember what it's about which may be an indication of its quality :lol: .

andicap
12-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Darn, I missed it. How was it?

Charlie LeDuff is a writer for the New York Times so I assume the show debuted on the Discovery Times Channel.
He's a very witty writer BTW.

BIG RED
12-27-2006, 03:21 PM
See if you can get the title of the show, may be on 'on demand' where I am.

csperberg
12-27-2006, 03:43 PM
the shows title is Only in America and the episode was just called Horse Racing.

BillW
12-27-2006, 03:49 PM
It was a pretty well done show, just telling the story of a day at the races ( I was expecting a piece with a hidden agenda - either a hatchet job from PETA or anti - gambling/jockey health, racing is fixed etc.). It was done at CRC and included all perspectives - a typical horse player (70 YO who goes all the time and loses a few thousand a year), a trainer, jockey, racing secretary and track handicapper. It ended up with the guy doing the piece challenging the track handicapper to 10 races/$100 winner take all contest.

BTW apparently LeDuff's father was a ML maker at Sportsman's Park at one time, so he had some insight into racing.

The show was part of a series this guy does

http://times.discovery.com/convergence/onlyinamerica/onlyinamerica.html

I watched the one following about Arena league football too also pretty well done.

Bill

Tom
12-27-2006, 07:32 PM
I love the part where the old guy is driving to Calder, and as he passes the gate inhis car, he says "I could throw my bankroll over the fence and go home early and have the same day I always do"

hbeck
12-27-2006, 09:55 PM
Yeah Tom, that guy was pretty funny.

He reminded me of my grandfather (also brooklyn born etc... only slightly older).

I think he said "wallet over the fence" which is even funnier.