PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the Spouse Abreast

FoxTrot
12-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Curious if those that play on a regular basis forthrightly disclose their up days and/or their down days with their significant other?

fmhealth
12-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Mr Trot, very timely question. Since '06 is rapidly drawing to a close, I'm reconciling my results for the year. And yes, after 48 years of 'capping, I share my P&L's with my spouse, virtually on a trip by trip basis.

This year I've been at one track or another 112 times. Total loss of $2,456. Since I usually attend the races for 2 hours each trip, my loss / hour is about $10.00 or about $20.00 / day at the track. Might seem crazy, but this year has been one of my best ever. Have reduced my plays to usually about 6-8 / day at three primary tracks. Less action, more winners, but still not enough to get myself into the "winner's circle".

As every year passes I get progressively less & less interested in betting the horses. The money in aggregate, is obviously inconsequential. As more & more of my "track buddies" move on to "other venues". I find the excitment & basic human interaction continues to decline in quality at a rather alarming rate. I guess it's a sign of something that I find more enjoyment in taking my first grandson Dylan, who's 6 months old to the "Tot Lot". Rather than pouring over the DRF for hours.

Sort of a circuitous answer to your question, but you get the drift. Happy Holidays.

FoxTrot
12-24-2006, 09:19 PM
Mr Health, Happy Holidays to you as well. Kudos for the revealing insight to a player that enjoys the game yet remains "red". A couple of G's down for the year is probably a "doable" scenario provided your wife revels in the time you're away from the household. I gather your interest in the game was generated by the comeradery of your peers and as time passes, so too, do they. Enjoy your grandkids as they can bring a joy in the Toy Lot that can still offer you a few bets on the side.

TonyK@HSH
12-25-2006, 01:04 AM
Curious if those that play on a regular basis forthrightly disclose their up days and/or their down days with their significant other?

Absolutely

BIG RED
12-25-2006, 11:36 AM

I only do when I'm ahead for year. Come Jan. - Feb I'll drop copies of my returns to my 3Xs, :) , it drives them nuts :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
12-25-2006, 11:59 AM
my wife and I discuss it during the big days, Triple Crown etc. But she rarely asks........she says she can tell by my mood.........

You haven't lived until on your way out the door you tell her you are 15k up for the day......... that got her attention.............. :lol:

boomman
12-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Ralph wrote: my wife and I discuss it during the big days, Triple Crown etc. But she rarely asks........she says she can tell by my mood.........

My wife is so busy living her life as well as the one we share together that I honestly don't even think that it crosses her mind. Since I make a substantial living betting the horses (and had for many years prior to meeting her) she just accepts that as part of my everyday job, and we plan trips and family outings around my horse playing just like you would do with any other job.. I know I'm one of the few lucky ones that can honestly say that! BTW Merry Xmas Scott! (Mr. Health):) Boom

fmhealth
12-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks Boom & the same to you & your family. Also, congratulations on yet another great year at the track. Your latest book has been extremely well received by 'cappers across the country. Please let me know when "Vol 3" will be available. You're a good man!