PDA

View Full Version : Upbeat, feeling good music

DJofSD
12-24-2006, 03:21 PM
There are certain songs and record albums that are always great to listen to. If you're in a good mood, they enhance it. If your needing a boost, they're always successful in turning your attitude around.

For myself, they come in a number of different categories. One of my top albums from rock is "Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks" recorded live at the Troubador (sp?) in Los Angeles.

What's yours (any category)?

Tom
12-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Any early Beatles albums - those were my coming of age years, 1964-69. I associate happy times with Beatles back then.

kenwoodallpromos
12-24-2006, 08:28 PM
50's rock, metal, CCR, Doobie Brothers, Cheeck and Chong.

blind squirrel
12-24-2006, 09:11 PM
There are certain songs and record albums that are always great to listen to. If you're in a good mood, they enhance it. If your needing a boost, they're always successful in turning your attitude around.

For myself, they come in a number of different categories. One of my top albums from rock is "Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks" recorded live at the Troubador (sp?) in Los Angeles.

BLACK SABBATH,LOU REED,NIRVANA

FoxTrot
12-24-2006, 09:26 PM
LOU REED
One song "Walk on the Wild Side" He's by far the most over rated musicians (if you can call him that) ever. What Sweet Jane? an "up" song. NY gay from what I can hear.

richrosa
12-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Wait a sec.

I saw Lou Reed many times. The best, and one I'll never forget was in 1986 at the Meadowlands for Amnesty Int'l. It was 95 degrees and Lou came out in a leather jacket and played "Rock and Roll" for the mixed crowd. He was one of the best that day (U2, Springsteen, and the final performance of the Police were that day).

Far from gay, Lou Reed is part of that New York punk scene you just gotta know to understand. Very liberal and far from my beliefs, but I get it.

Lou was the man.

DJofSD
12-25-2006, 12:47 AM
There are very few artist that are without their detractors. I would remind every one that even Jimmy Dean had his nay sayers. I've been a fan of Mick Jagger since before my first decade was over and I'm sure all are aware of the "dark side" he has. Not a role model for my son but I still enjoy his music.

Feliz Navidad.

blind squirrel
12-25-2006, 06:58 AM
One song "Walk on the Wild Side" He's by far the most over rated musicians (if you can call him that) ever. What Sweet Jane? an "up" song. NY gay from what I can hear.

Holly came from MIAMI FLA
hitchiked her way across the USA
plucked her eyebrows on the way
shaved her legs and he was a she
HEY BABE......come on now,you can't tell me that's
not an uplifting lyric?.....just think,a song about a TRANSVESTITE
was a hit{although,i'll admit it wasn't the first.LOLA by the KINKS
was the first.}

Pace Cap'n
12-25-2006, 09:14 AM

Wet Willie--Keep On Smiling

santanajimi
12-25-2006, 09:23 AM
SANTANA.....ALLMAN BROTHERS

Not that i have ever owned any James Brown stuff, but that guy surely put out some memorable grooves.

46zilzal
12-25-2006, 10:09 AM
"She's Got Legs" "Sharp Dressed Man"

or Bruce Springsteen's "Glory Days"

"Brown Eyed Girl"

chickenhead
12-25-2006, 10:41 AM
Otis Redding, Taj Mahal, Waylon and Willie

BIG RED
12-25-2006, 10:48 AM
My fave: Pink Floyd

When I moved out on my own when I was young, I finally got myself a good 'Hi-Fi' setup, wired 4 speakers to it, and cranked it! I was in another universe with there music. Those were good days, so, I can put on some PF and just feel better.

When I get in a 'weird' mood, I'll put on some Tom Waits (this guy is a total nut :D )".....and the piano has been drinking, and the cigarette machine is singing....", he is an original.

Upbeat for me, The Stones: Many good tunes to get you rolling. Everytime I used to walk into my local pub, I would walk right to the juke and play 'Start Me Up'. Now they would know I was in the house!

Racing music: 40's radio
When I'm at home playing the races on the computer, I have commercial free 40's music on in the background. Kind of gives me an atmosphere.

chickenhead
12-25-2006, 11:18 AM
When I get in a 'weird' mood, I'll put on some Tom Waits (this guy is a total nut :D )".....and the piano has been drinking, and the cigarette machine is singing....", he is an original.

A Tom Waits fan! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

He lives just up the road from me, I see him in town all the time. Dresses like a bum and drives an old beat to s white 70's cadi. Extreme character.

ldiatone
12-25-2006, 11:56 AM
hello
now i'll listen mozart and hayden and most other classical. happen to like opera too. rigoeltto cosa fun tuti just a few. I happen to like mozarts 41 jupiter and his paris and the haffner. london by hayden.
as far as other music love derick and the dominos and the allman bros band. the classic rock stations in town ppplaaayyy tthhheee saaammmeee
old loop all the time.
ldiatone
ps james brown passed away on the 24th 73 years old
the "god father of soul"

DJofSD
12-25-2006, 12:41 PM
ps james brown passed away on the 24th 73 years old
the "god father of soul"

Yes, I heard Art Bell announce it earlier this AM.

I happen to have at work a "doll" of JB that sings "I Feel Good" while dancing. The managers that sit in my area have borrowed it to use during meetings as a kind of "atta boy -- good job" for their groups. I guess I'll have to make some kind of appropriate accoutrement for it when I get into the office later in the week.

Tom
12-25-2006, 01:29 PM
SANTANA.....ALLMAN BROTHERS

Not that i have ever owned any James Brown stuff, but that guy surely put out some memorable grooves.

Breaking news - he died this morning in an Atlanta hospital. :(

santanajimi
12-25-2006, 01:46 PM
Hmmmm.....yea, i already new that.
Merry Christmas

gregrph
12-27-2006, 01:57 AM

The Ramones - Their early stuff cracks me up! ("Beat On The Brat", "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker", "Today Your Love, Tomorrow The World", etc.) Their later stuff is GOOD and full of energy ("Tourin' ", "Spiderman", )

Talking Heads - Anything up through their "Remain In Light" album. Great variety of musical styles, tongue in cheeck lyrics, awsome playing from simple guitar-bass-keyboards-drums of "Talking Heads '77" to multi-cultural musical styles on "Burning Down The House".

JustRalph
12-27-2006, 02:05 AM

He lives just up the road from me, I see him in town all the time. Dresses like a bum and drives an old beat to s white 70's cadi. Extreme character.

after listening to some of his stuff.......... that sounds like him..........

Springsteen's best album................... Nebraska........recorded on a four track sitting on the end of his bed.......while Julianne Phillips slept in the bed.........you can almost hear the bitch snoring in the background :lol:

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0000025T6.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V40891934_.jpg

Valuist
12-27-2006, 12:10 PM
Upbeat music: how about the three bands from Birmingham: Zeppelin, Sabbath and Priest.

bigmack
12-27-2006, 01:28 PM

I've been a Waits fan since "Nighthawks @ the Diner" One of the great original artists and has acted in a number of films. He & his wife Kathleen co-write most of his stuff of late. He grew up here in SanD but I heard he parks it up North. If you run into him Chickybaby, tell him to watch out for Big Joe and Phantom Three-O'-Nine.

Binder
12-27-2006, 02:14 PM
The Sound of Philadelphia

The O Jays - Love Train Spinners (all) Harrold Melvin and The Blue Notes
The love I lost
The Three Degrees - When will I see you again?
Disco, The Hustle -Van McCoy Tramps - Disco Inferno Bee Gee - Stayin Alive and More Than a Women

BIG RED
12-27-2006, 02:19 PM
........and I thought I was the only one who even heard of TWaits :cool: ...atleast around my parts. Someone would be over and I would be listenning to him, and it would be "what the heck is that! Do you have some guy locked up in here somewhere?

chickenhead
12-27-2006, 06:58 PM
and has acted in a number of films.

First time I saw him in town was at a gas station...I was filling up and up rumbles this POS on the other side of the pump. Guy gets out, pork pie hat, 3 day stubble...I say to myself "MFer that's Renfro!"

I jump back in to tell my buddy, he thinks I've totally lost it...doesn't know Renfro from any Dracula movie..and pretty sure that even if there was some dude that played a guy named Renfro in a Dracula movie, the bum standing next to us ain't him.

This was before I'd listened to any of his stuff...only knew him from Coppola's movie.

bigmack
12-27-2006, 07:29 PM
This was before I'd listened to any of his stuff...only knew him from Coppola's movie.
Make no mistake. The soundtrack to Coppola's One From the Heart written and performed by TommyW & CGayle is a dynamic body of songwriting. FFCoppola decided to shoot the entire film on set and virtually went broke doing it. The soundtrack lives as one of the greats. His involvement in film is fairly grand:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001823/

http://image.listen.com/img/356x237/7/9/6/8/728697_356x237.jpg

Tom
12-27-2006, 08:17 PM
I have these on my desktop at work - amazing how a few seconds of these will brighten up the day.

http://www.barbneal.com/wav/tvthemes/3stooges.wav

http://www.barbneal.com/wav/tvthemes/addams.wav

http://www.barbneal.com/wav/tvthemes/andgrif.wav

http://www.barbneal.com/wav/tvthemes/car54.wav

BIG RED
12-28-2006, 12:09 PM
I've been a Waits fan since "Nighthawks @ the Diner" One of the great original artists and has acted in a number of films. He & his wife Kathleen co-write most of his stuff of late. He grew up here in SanD but I heard he parks it up North. If you run into him Chickybaby, tell him to watch out for Big Joe and Phantom Three-O'-Nine.

I just seen in my local paper ent. section, he has a new set out called:

" Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards"

It's a 3disc set, have to get it, first I heard of it. Sounds right up his alley; songs about trains, jailhouses and little drops of poison, and monologues on Pontiacs and canine chew toys made from bull penises. :cool:

A must get for me

delayjf
12-28-2006, 05:46 PM
Springsteen's best album................... Nebraska........recorded on a four track sitting on the end of his bed.......while Julianne Phillips slept in the bed.........you can almost hear the bitch snoring in the background

Ralph,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he record Nebraska long before he married Julianne. I love that Album, I agree it was his best. Especially the song about Starkweather. Working at Nebraska's State Pen, I knew some old timers who stood death watch with Charlie prior to his execution.

For some reason Eddie Money's "Baby Hold on to me" always gave me a warm and fuzzy. And since this is a horse racing forum, AK-SAR-BEN used to play this up beat carnival / marching music prior to the first race that always put me in a good mood. Wish I knew what that song was.

BIG RED
12-29-2006, 10:38 AM
I have these on my desktop at work - amazing how a few seconds of these will brighten up the day.

http://www.barbneal.com/wav/tvthemes/3stooges.wav

http://www.barbneal.com/wav/tvthemes/addams.wav

http://www.barbneal.com/wav/tvthemes/andgrif.wav

http://www.barbneal.com/wav/tvthemes/car54.wav

You're not well Tom. :D

BIG RED
12-30-2006, 06:12 PM
Have Floydd cranked now!!! Have a Cigar :cool:

BillW
12-30-2006, 06:13 PM
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

BIG RED
12-30-2006, 06:18 PM
Hey Bill, happy new year to ya :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
12-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Ralph,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he record Nebraska long before he married Julianne. I love that Album, I agree it was his best. Especially the song about Starkweather. Working at Nebraska's State Pen, I knew some old timers who stood death watch with Charlie prior to his execution.

The Springsteen interview I read quoted him as saying he recorded the songs while she slept. The record was released in 82 and they were married in 85? Who knows........maybe he got his girls mixed up......... :lol:

michiken
12-31-2006, 08:20 AM
Upbeat music: how about the three bands from Birmingham: Zeppelin, Sabbath and Priest.

I am always up for a little Sab/Zep/Priest as I grew up learning to play guitar licks from:

Generals gathered in their Masses!
Breaking the Law, Breaking the Law!
Been Dazed and Confused....