PDA

View Full Version : A POWERFULL HANDICAPPING AID.

44PACE
12-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Ok, races are all unique but does this mean that we have to handicap all races in a unique way each one different? I like the idea of repetition, I like the idea of using a method over and over again like a recipe.The problem is that unless you take the time to construct this approach you will often forget until the race is over certain things you like to take into account.

So what is the answer ?.

What I found can be used by people who use either the form or a computer program. What I did was construct a Handicapping Sheet it has all the headings with rows and columns for the 20 handicapping items that I look for. What I do is take information ex. running styles for each horse put this information into its designated space etc.etc. This gives me an organized sence of looking at the races. When I finish filling out my Handicapping Sheet, I then break down what I see in an organized set of steps. The BENEFIT is that this approach eliminates mistakes we ALL make and it reduces horseracing into a mechanical machine. My sheet does include my intuitive judgements which computers can not do, the advantage over keeping this all in your head is that you will not forget some of the judgements you make calls on. The handicapping sheet is yours it should be customized to the factors you like.
Give it a try, you may like it.

Sinner369
12-24-2006, 06:15 PM
44Pace:

If it is a spreadsheet count me in. Where is your sheet??? And how can I obtain one?

Sinner

Vigors
12-24-2006, 07:30 PM
........John Wayne ?.....No, I think I have it...

.......PriceAndProbabilty...?!?

kenwoodallpromos
12-24-2006, 08:31 PM
A spreadsheet listing angles and factors prioritized by race type helps me.

44PACE
12-24-2006, 10:56 PM
44Pace:

If it is a spreadsheet count me in. Where is your sheet??? And how can I obtain one?

Sinner

Not that you need one but , I use a spreadsheet program to draw up my sheets. Once done then I go to kinkos and make photo copies of it.

The handicapping sheet walks you thru YOUR handicapping process, so it will be different than the one I use becouse You will look at different factors than I do. The purpose of it is to bring out what you are looking at when you are looking at either the DRF form or your computer readouts and put it on paper. The act of doing this helps you handicap the races in a very thorough manner.
I use Pace handicapping whereas you might look at class or trainers etc. So you would have different headings in your columns.

The other thing that I like to add is data I only have in my charts like track profiles . I put this in a seperate area also I keep other notes like how shippers do when they ship into the track i am looking at along with any models I may keep. Everything gets put on a single sheet of paper. Becouse it is very organized it brings me a clear picture of what I am looking at.

The other thing is that after this form is filled out I examine my sheets in an orderly manner always the same steps, this way I miss nothing. If I lose a race its not becouse I made an error. WE all have done this, I just got tired of it and did something about it. All I can say is that it helped me.

Good Luck.

PriceAnProbability
12-25-2006, 02:38 AM
Ok, races are all unique but does this mean that we have to handicap all races in a unique way each one different? I like the idea of repetition, I like the idea of using a method over and over again like a recipe.The problem is that unless you take the time to construct this approach you will often forget until the race is over certain things you like to take into account.

So what is the answer ?.

What I found can be used by people who use either the form or a computer program. What I did was construct a Handicapping Sheet it has all the headings with rows and columns for the 20 handicapping items that I look for. What I do is take information ex. running styles for each horse put this information into its designated space etc.etc. This gives me an organized sence of looking at the races. When I finish filling out my Handicapping Sheet, I then break down what I see in an organized set of steps. The BENEFIT is that this approach eliminates mistakes we ALL make and it reduces horseracing into a mechanical machine. My sheet does include my intuitive judgements which computers can not do, the advantage over keeping this all in your head is that you will not forget some of the judgements you make calls on. The handicapping sheet is yours it should be customized to the factors you like.

I use a sheet to input power ratings and value line information, as well as the odds during the betting, but more in place of a program than pps.

oddswizard
12-25-2006, 03:51 PM
I like the idea of a spread sheet for many handicappers. I have a method of handicapping
the races by the distance of the race. If it is a sprint I use Pace as my method. If it is a distance over 1 mile I use Class. In a mile race I use a combination of the two. Turf races are handicapped the same way except that you must use Turf PPs to determine the winner. One of the top 3 selections will win 70% of the races. Works for me.

traynor
12-25-2006, 10:52 PM

So what is the answer ?.

Just about every decision-process theorist agrees that consistent processes of decision-making will outperform inconsistent processes every time. Your approach is a major step toward creating consistent decision-making processes; using a checksheet (spreadsheet or otherwise) assures that important factors will not be overlooked.

I suggest one additional entry, especially for spreadsheet users--why did you make the decision you did? The purpose is to diminish the "scrambler effect" of checking numerous factors, but basing decisions on only one or two (average pace, final time, class drops, and so on). Decision theorists call it "calibration."
Good Luck

ranchwest
12-26-2006, 12:40 AM
Ok, races are all unique but does this mean that we have to handicap all races in a unique way each one different?

Yes.