PDA

View Full Version : I wanna create a program...

jeebus1083
12-24-2006, 02:06 PM
The last few months, I have been using a formula with the BRIS speed points where you add the whole field up and then divide an individual horse's speed points by the total amount of the field. Example: if the speed points of every horse in a field added up to 30, a horse that scores an 8 speed point (most likely to want or be on the lead), the horse would have a 26.7% or roughly 5/2 chance of being on the lead.

Recently, I started breaking down Prime Power #s into a 0 through 8 ranking system, taking the difference between the high number and the low number and dividing it by 9. Example: if the #1 ranked horse has a 120 Prime Power rating and the lowest has a 100 Prime Power rating, I get the difference (20) and then divide it by 9 (2.22). The scale would look like this:

0: 100.0-102.2
1: 102.3-104.5
2: 104.6-106.8
3: 106.9-109.1
4: 109.2-111.4
5: 111.5-113.7
6: 113.8-116.0
7: 116.1-118.3
8: 118.4-120.6

Now, rather than ranking Prime Power by highest and lowest, now each Prime Power number has a point value attached. Like the speed points, I add the whole field's Prime Power ranks together and then divide each individual horse's number by the total field number for a Prime Power percentage. The next step is to add the Speed Point percentage and the Prime Power percentage together, divide by 2 for the average, then divide 100 by the average and subtract 1 for the odds.

My trouble with the method is this: it is time-consuming. If there is a scratch, my math has to be re-done to adjust for the scratches. With the Prime Power, I'm not sure if it's more accurate in the event of a scratch to re-rank the field (if the scratch happened to be the top or bottom Prime Power horse), or work with what I've got. The program that I want to create would allow automatic adjustment for a scratch. The big problem is that this method is not workable in maiden races where data is insufficient (not enough starts to warrant a rank). I understand that old-school handicapping is always the way to go, but this is strictly a value guide to examine horses that could be borderline contenders that don't necessarily look good on the surface. It forces me to give a 2nd look, and I can eliminate horses whose odds are too high on the value line (add the field's value odds and divide by field number, the median is the cut-off point. Any horse above the given median is subject to elimination unless old-school capping proves otherwise).

Dave Schwartz
12-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Sounds perfect for a spreadsheet.

Have you considered that?

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Tom
12-24-2006, 07:01 PM
I was thinking that same thing, Dave.

There was an article about using speed points to created odds, some formula, so that the mix of various SPs was taken into account. Maybe Karl posted it - might be a BRIS Han Edge article. You mighit want to consider using that, as various pace match ups might be better represented.

raybo
12-30-2006, 12:18 AM
My trouble with the method is this: it is time-consuming. If there is a scratch, my math has to be re-done to adjust for the scratches. With the Prime Power, I'm not sure if it's more accurate in the event of a scratch to re-rank the field (if the scratch happened to be the top or bottom Prime Power horse), or work with what I've got. The program that I want to create would allow automatic adjustment for a scratch. The big problem is that this method is not workable in maiden races where data is insufficient (not enough starts to warrant a rank). I understand that old-school handicapping is always the way to go, but this is strictly a value guide to examine horses that could be borderline contenders that don't necessarily look good on the surface. It forces me to give a 2nd look, and I can eliminate horses whose odds are too high on the value line (add the field's value odds and divide by field number, the median is the cut-off point. Any horse above the given median is subject to elimination unless old-school capping proves otherwise).

Sounds like a simple spreadsheet would work fine. Since you're using Bris data you could use the programmer's data files, MCP files I believe are the cheapest ones that have power ratings, so you could import the numbers you need to do the calculations for each horse and beside each horse's line you could have a column that allows you to designate whether the horse is running or not. A couple of simple macros would handle sorting the results if you wanted. I've created several small spreadsheets over the years to support my large handicapping spreadsheet with miscellaneous calculations that I wanted to check out without modifying my rather large and complex handicapping spreadsheet. One of the ones I especially like allows me to manually select the running line to be used for developing the grades. I love Excel for this reason, you can do almost anything you can dream of with a few formulas and macros. Once you become accomplished using macros/Visual Basic the whole thing can be automated to the point of merely clicking a couple of buttons that you create. Using Infotran to get your data into Excel is the hardest part but once you understand how to create your control file the rest is easy.

BetHorses!
12-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Recently, I started breaking down Prime Power #s into a 0 through 8 ranking system, taking the difference between the high number and the low number and dividing it by 9.

Curious about dividing it by 9? Why 9?

raybo
12-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Curious about dividing it by 9? Why 9?

Maybe because his ranking system is 0 thru 8 which is a total of 9 possible rankings(?)

jeebus1083
12-31-2006, 01:59 PM
Exactly correct.

Handiman
12-31-2006, 02:20 PM
So what have you decided to do?

Handi

douglasw32
12-31-2006, 06:40 PM
Okay i have one that may be to much to answer in a post?

Short of buying a book or learning excell, if I export the DRF files to csv.

How do you pull that into a spreadsheet (excel)

I can put things into access but excell I do not get?

K9Pup
01-01-2007, 09:09 AM

Just open the CSV files in Excel. Excel will automatically populate the cells based on the commas in the file. Also if you can get data into an Access table that table can simply be copied and pasted to an excel spreadsheet.

douglasw32
01-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Oh ok, I thought there was some way to pull specific parts into specific cells each time.

raybo
01-01-2007, 11:33 AM

Are you using Brisnet's DRF files? If so, when you open them in Excel you're going to have a mess. On Brisnet's website under free software\other free utitlities, I believe, there is a program called "Infotran" that allows you to put the data in an organized order so you know where each piece of data is going to be in Excel. There is a sample "control file" that will get you started with creating your own control file so you can import only the data you want and put it where you want. If you have trouble with any of it, message me and I'll send you a copy of my control file that should help you even more. I'll also help you with the procedures involved.

DJofSD
01-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Others on this forum have noted their use of INFOTRAN. Use the search function at the top and look for other threads where it is mentioned.

Tom
01-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Infotran.....:ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp: