PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel eradication...help!

JPinMaryland
12-23-2006, 04:00 PM
They're back again. There must be at least two of them running arond in the attic. I caught a couple last summer with gloves on. Typical scenario is they run around the attic for a few days then they seem to disappear, probably in the heating ducts. Eventually they wind up in the basement, again probably due to the ducts. Then I go down with gloves and catch them.

Now they are back. I guess it is mating season this time of year.

anyone have any suggestions? Most say that trapping is best with safe traps. Then you can try loud music, and/or light. Other suggest: fox urine and mothballs. They are afraid of fox...

more..?

bigmack
12-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Tape up your ducts, turn off your heat, buy a parka, forget about eradication, get some peanuts and "make nice"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04UHUzlkmuY

Ponyplayr
12-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Here are a couple of options...

A},Repelant..fox scent.. http://www.critter-repellent.com/squirrel/squirrel-control.php?source=GoogleAW

B}.One of these.

JPinMaryland
12-23-2006, 05:34 PM
I am looking for fox urine. My wife is like:

"how do you get fox urine?" (duh)

"Well you go out to the fox latrine and you wait. And then when he comes you put a cup underneath his bottom."

NOw Vanya (age 3) comes in: "here is a cup to catch the fox pee."

Who's going to hold this..?

"The fox."

"NO, the fox catch reach back there. His arms are too short. YOU have to hold it.

"No, YOU..

"No, YOU..

Suff
12-23-2006, 05:53 PM
If its a common issue you should have one of these in the garage.

Reusable...and easy breezy jap-a-neasy.

Put some peanut butter in there and they go in quick.

Squirrels climb up fire escapes and get in buildings and apartments all the time.

I've trapped and released a bunch with these traps.

http://www.havahart.com/nuisance/cagetrap_quickguide.asp

Ponyplayr
12-23-2006, 06:20 PM
When I was a kid I used traps like that for Fox..Muskrats and Raccoons.

Those were the days.

Suff
12-23-2006, 07:15 PM
When I was a kid I used traps like that for Fox..Muskrats and Raccoons.

Those were the days.

Little bit of learned experience with these.

You can trap skunks. I have trapped many. Skunks will not spray when they themselves cannot avoid it.

So you take a medium size hav-a-hart and drape a blanket over the back half of the trap, the blanket should be folded in half. When you see the door to the trap is tripped, you approach the trap from behind, and toss the other half of the blanket over the remainder of the trap. You can then pick it up and walk a country mile or put in it your truck and that skunk will not spray.

When you release them, same thing, ...pull back the blanket just enough to release the escape door. The Skunk scoots out and runs for his life. I've had a few stop about 30 or 40 feet away and spray, but by then I've picked up the trap and hightailed it in the other direction.

fergie
12-23-2006, 09:12 PM
Suff,

Methinks you must be a country boy. I, too have trapped skunk, coon, squirrel, and possum in this manner, and, like you, released them away from the area where they were causing mayhem, allbeit with some serious trepidation on my part in releasing the skunks.:faint:

Fergie

blind squirrel
12-23-2006, 09:55 PM
They're back again. There must be at least two of them running arond in the attic. I caught a couple last summer with gloves on. Typical scenario is they run around the attic for a few days then they seem to disappear, probably in the heating ducts. Eventually they wind up in the basement, again probably due to the ducts. Then I go down with gloves and catch them.

anyone have any suggestions? Most say that trapping is best with safe traps. Then you can try loud music, and/or light. Other suggest: fox urine and mothballs. They are afraid of fox...

more..?

why be a hater?now i know how mike battaglia feels.

michiken
12-23-2006, 09:59 PM
Go to your local barber and get bags of cut hair. Spread it around the perimeter of your home. Animals hate it because it gets in their fur and they itch like crazy. Problem solved.

Dave Schwartz
12-23-2006, 10:01 PM
Let me get this straight.

They're back again. There must be at least two of them running arond in the attic. I caught a couple last summer with gloves on.

You have squirrels wearing gloves running around in your attic? How does your health insurance handle psychiatric claims?

Typical scenario is they run around the attic for a few days then they seem to disappear, probably in the heating ducts. Eventually they wind up in the basement, again probably due to the ducts. Then I go down with gloves and catch them.

These are disappearing squirrels? How do you know they are squirrels if you can't see them?

And what is this about "hot ducks?" (By the way, your spelling needs work. "Duck" is spelled with a "k" at the end, not a "t.")

Do you think they have... you, know, "a thing" thing for the "ducts?" (Have it your way: You say potato...)

Ah, I get it! You put on the gloves because then you are invisible, too and invisible, uh, creatures can see each other, right?

Merry Christmas.

From Dave Schwartz
(Who has been nipping at the egg nog tonight.)

Tom
12-23-2006, 10:04 PM
I pouted amonia all around a hole under my deck that looked like something was getting in and up above the ceiling. It workd, but for only a liitle while. I eventually hired an exterminator to lay out rat poison and finally they stopped coming. My next step was going to be a shotgun.

njcurveball
12-23-2006, 10:21 PM
Well after you have caught them, you need to do a check all around the house, especially on the roof for any hole you can fit a few fingers inside. Find some screen and cover them all.

I had the same problem and as long as they could find a way in, the heat was going to attract them in the Winter.

Unfortunately I did not have a video camera ready when I tried to chase one out of the house.

I left the upstairs storage door open and put a book next to it, so it would not blow all the way open.

Then I went downstairs and listened. 10 or 15 mintues later, I heard the familiar scratching and I quietly made my way upstairs. Well the squirrel was sneaking in and hit the door so hard it snapped shut.

He ran to the other side of the room leaping over the bed. A good 4 foot vertical. I guess they are smart enough to know how they got in, since he turned and made a quick dash to the door.

BANG! I guess he didn't notice it shut after his entrance. It was the funnient thing. I had opened the front door and luckily he got the hint and scooted down the steps and out the door.

My friend went on the roof and screemed everything he saw open enough fro them to fit.

About 4 years, squirrel free now. At least inside.

Outside now, I have a flock of guinea hens digging up my grass for dust baths and a mole making his way across the yard like the star of Hogans Heroes.

good luck in ridding yourself of the rodents!
Jim

skate
12-23-2006, 10:44 PM
to chase the Hens, just bring the squirrels back.

Squirrels are gonna find a way to get in, thats what you need to know, where do they enter. then put up a one way (sign) exit.

most likely they enter where you do not expect they can. find IT.

Stevie Belmont
12-23-2006, 11:02 PM
Just call a Pest Control company. Thats what they do, and safer. A Squirrel bite is horrible.

more..?

JPinMaryland
12-23-2006, 11:32 PM
AM pretty good at catching them at this pt. Wear real thick gloves. I think we have located the hole, a spot we had not seen before, the screen is ripped right there over an exhaust fan. Got moth balls in there now and Madonna blasting on the radio. Hopefully they will play Bowie's Let's Dance which is thought to be a natural for rodents (see M. Noriega for more details).

Will look for fox urine on the morrow. Have not heard from them in some hours...hmm.

SOmeone put D Schwartz to bed. :sleeping:

dylbert
12-23-2006, 11:59 PM
Since end of Cold War, Boris may be available to consult on "moose and squirrel" problem. LOL...

JPinMaryland
12-29-2006, 12:54 AM
Hopefully I think we have got them out, knock on wood.

Most of them left with the loud music but there was one guy still up there. I went up there to put the fox urine out in little patches. They give you this wicking material to put it on, hunters wear it to mask their scent. As I'm putting it out there Mr. Squirrel comes out to see what I am up to. He looks at me for a while and I keep putting little bits of this stuff around the attic, the stuff smells putrid by the way. After about 15 min. or so I am staring right at him and he decides to bolt for it, right toward that opening where the ceiling fan is. I suspect that's the opening.

I think maybe the fox urine did it, I wasnt scaring him but maybe he smelled the fox after a while?

Anyhow I go to Home Depot to get wire mesh to put over the hole after several inquiries I finally find the mesh. It's nothing but cheap aluminum or some sort of fiberglass, real thin stuff. They wont carry anything strong and it's in big bundles anyhow. I call up Strosniders. Not only do they have thick metal mesh screen, they will cut it to order! So I go there and get an 18" by 2' piece, $2.67 including tax.

I tack it up there over the hole a much stronger screen than what was there before. Hopefully this is where they were coming in.

njcurveball
12-29-2006, 10:56 AM
Great job JP!!! :ThmbUp:

Best wishes for a squirrel free 2007 and beyond!

Jim

JPinMaryland
12-29-2006, 03:11 PM
I was impressed by Strosnider's and how helpful the help was as well as how much more appropriate the products were for my situation. I had never been there but had heard good things. I go to Home Depot out of habit I guess, buy paint, buy a light fixture, etc. Go there for wire mesh and they dont even carry it, at least not anything of a heavy duty gauge. WOrkers were much bettter at Stros. too. One guy at Home Depot sent me to the electrical department.

PlanB
12-29-2006, 03:25 PM
When squirrels hoard nuts is that a sign of winter coming. My friend lives in a woody long island section & he says the squirrels are very active this season, so he expects a bad winter.

JPinMaryland
12-29-2006, 04:58 PM
we are seeing them w/ deck chairs and sun screen in these parts..

PlanB
12-29-2006, 06:36 PM
we are seeing them w/ deck chairs and sun screen in these parts..

LOL. Squirrel dermatologists unite. SCF 30 at the very least.