PDA

View Full Version : Earning His Keep

Nosebob
12-22-2006, 07:36 PM
Figures will vary considerably based on different parts of the country, but what is the cost to keep a $20,000 claiming horse running for a year? To keep it a bit simpler, I am only asking for the annual "Maintenance Costs", not the cost of acquiring the horse.

It seems that different handicapping considerations might apply to a horse that is "paying his way", rather than one who is a financial drain. I suspect most horses in mid to lower level claiming ranks probably require a "subsidy".

Thanks for any info/thoughts you might have on the subject.

Nosebob

Buddha
12-22-2006, 10:05 PM
At MNR, I think depending on the trainer, you are looking at 800-1500 a month for a horse. obviously, some are sounder and will require less vet work, but 35-50 a day is pretty much the going rate from what i have heard

kenwoodallpromos
12-22-2006, 10:41 PM
$15-25k per year depending on the track and trainer is my guess.
$20k races at say 8 races per year is $160k in purses, so average 10-20% of all purses should about break even. I say if the horse averages between 3rd and 4th place not bad.
I figure takeout from each horse is double the earnings.

Suff
12-23-2006, 12:31 AM
Figures will vary considerably based on different parts of the country, but what is the cost to keep a $20,000 claiming horse running for a year? To keep it a bit simpler, I am only asking for the annual "Maintenance Costs", not the cost of acquiring the horse.

It seems that different handicapping considerations might apply to a horse that is "paying his way", rather than one who is a financial drain. I suspect most horses in mid to lower level claiming ranks probably require a "subsidy".

Thanks for any info/thoughts you might have on the subject.

Nosebob

The day rate is manageable if your horse is running at a level he can compete at. Particulary if you get a trainer to charge you the lower end of his scale in exchnage for a larger piece of the purse. Keep in mind, A guy may charge one owner $35.oo a day, but that owner may have 3 or 4 horses with him. You having one, and that one being subject to a claim every 3 weeks is not exactly a sweet deal for him.

Besides its not the day rate that puts you on the mat.... Its the vet bills. Its deworming, its vitimans, its vaccinations, its lasix ( to work & race),s and all the other extra's. Horses need new shoes every 6 weeks or so. Thats money. Maybe he blows a shoe racing or working. Maybe he gets 1/4'r inch bends , or mudcaulks if he races while the tracks wet. Farrier fee's are'nt killer, but they add up with the other stuff....

Also, you gotta pay the jockey, and frequently the groom, and occasionally the walkers ,,,,,escpecially if you win the races.....and thats if your lucky enough to get a horse that can go out 12 times a year......, and if not, most of these fee's keep on trucking whether he races or not. When he's sitting in the barn for 2 months and your getting 4 or 5 grand worth of bills.......ouch.