PDA

View Full Version : BAD NEWS BARTON

bigmack
12-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Barbaro Stakes to Debut at Pimlico in May 2007 After Maryland Jockey Club Renames Sir Barton Stakes

BALTIMORE, 12-20-06---The Maryland Jockey Club announced today that it has changed the name of the Sir Barton Stakes to the Barbaro Stakes. The mile and a sixteenth test for three-year-olds is one of eight added money races on the Preakness undercard....

...The Sir Barton Stakes, named after the first horse to capture the Triple Crown in 1919, debuted at Pimlico in 1993. Sarava was the most famous winner-using the race as a springboard to a victory in the 2002 Belmont Stakes three weeks later.

Stevie Belmont
12-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Love Barbaro, but when they start changing races names, I have a problem. Totally dis the horse it was named after in the first place. This happens all the time. Not just in racing. Whats the purpose of naming something after someone or somethinng if they are going to change it down the road?

kenwoodallpromos
12-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Barbaro Stakes at the track whose owner said that's the way it goes in racing? Did he have a change of heart or did his wallet? I guess there is no money to be make now off the name Sir Barton!LOL!!
Let me know how much of the track takeout that day Stronach is going to donate to equine research or spend on diagnostic equiptment at his tracks!

toetoe
12-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Gawd, what must a runner do to be renaming-proof? Oh, well, many good ones have no races (or unimportant races) named after them, but once you have one, it should be yours in perpetuity, no?

Snow Chief
12-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Why didn't they just create a new stake and nmae it after him? The run every stake of the meet in 2 days now, maybe they could create some excitement there some other day

JPinMaryland
12-22-2006, 01:12 PM
The Tough Luck Stakes?

The That's Racing Stakes?

Doc
12-22-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm still ticked off that they changed the Riva Ridge Stakes at Belmont to the Woody Stephens BC ... Riva was one of my favorites.

Doc :ThmbDown:

hbeck
12-22-2006, 05:22 PM
I was also pretty unhappy that NYRA renamed the Riva Ridge stakes on the Belmont undercard.

I saw the last Riva Ridge, in Person. Lost in the Fog was incredible.