PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Eclipse and Year In Review

Stevie Belmont
12-20-2006, 05:14 PM
ThoroughbredZones 2006 Eclipse Awards and Year in Review

2 year old Colt-.Several two year olds showed promise early one. Eclipse could go to a few, but will settle with the undefeated Tiz Wonderful. Nobiz Like Shobiz’s Remsen win was impressive. Street Sense made a case in winning the Breeder’s Cup juvenile. Stormello’s gutsy win in the Hollywood Futurity was impressive.

2 years old Filly-Dreaming of Ana had as a dominant a season as a 2 year old filly can have. She was undefeated in all starts this year and capped it with an impressive Breeder’s Cup victory.

3 year old Colt- Barbaro was on the fast track for the award early on. It’s unfortunate that the injury he suffered in the Kentucky Derby ended his career. Who knows what the future would have held if not for that horrible incident. Bernardini came on the scene in the Preakness and was a force to reckon with all summer. Winning 3 Grade I’s and narrowly missing a win in the Breeder’s Cup Classic. He also defeated his elders in the Jockey Gold Cup. It was a deep crop of 3 year olds this year. Showing Up had a great year as well, so did Henny Hughes and the lightly raced Discreet Cat. The Eclipse goes to Bernardini here.

3 year old Filly- You can make a case for a few 3 year olds here. It’s that close, but based on 3 Grade I wins, I will go for Bushfire for the Eclipse for top filly. She has beaten each of the other top two choices for the award in 2006 Wait a While and Pine Island. She defeated Wait a While in the Grade I Ashland while losing to her in the Grade II Davona Dale in February. She also traded wins against Pine Island, beating her in the Grade I Mother Goose, while Pine Island got the best of her in the Grade I Gazelle.

Older Filly or Mare-Top honor goes to Fleet Indian who had a super 2006 year. She rode a 6 race winning streak into the Breeder’s Cup. Game win in beating Balletto in the Beldame. She was simply the most dominant horse in the division this year.

Turf Male-A tough one, but based on 3 Grade I’s English Channel gets the Eclipse. English Channel won 3 Grade I’s this year and beat one of the contenders for an Eclipse in this division Cacique twice. Miesques Approval had a fine 2006 as well, finishing it off with a win in the Breeder’s Cup mile. Both Lava Man and The Tin Man also get consideration for their fine seasons on the grass as well.

Turf Filly or Mare- This could be tight, but I’m going for Wait a While as she was just sensational this year when she made the move to the lawn. She captured two Grade I wins in California and beat is a 3 year old who beat her elders in the Yellow Ribbon in an impressive romp. Ran an admirable 4th in the Breeder’s Cup Filly and mare. Gorella is another main contender for the award won the Beverly D at Arlington Park in what was one of the most impressive moves we have seen by a horse all year as she went 6 wide circling the field. I’ll be honest they are very close. However that was her lone Grade I win in 2006. If the Grade I‘s win accounts for anything, Wait a While has won two. Ouija Board is regarded as one of the best mares in the world, but only the Breeder’s Cup win is not enough for me to get it.

Sprinter- I have made a case for Discreet Cat, but based on the true sprint distance of 6 furlongs and what have you done for me lately, Thors Echo notched the award in my opinion with his late season heroics in the Breeder’s Cup Sprint and Defrancis Dash, both Grade I’s. Those were his only two wins of the year, but they were big ones. Henny Hughes had a big year as well. Bordonaro won three times this year and was very fast in each win including a Grade I. Thor's Echo for the top sprinter.

Trainer-Todd Pletcher broke the single season earnings mark for a trainer, so with that said he is a no brainer to capture the Eclipse for top trainer. Scott Lake was on pace to break the single season mark for most wins until he had to serve his suspension ending those hopes.

Owner- I will go with Roy and Gretchen Jackson. They owned and bred both Barbaro and Showing Up who had super 2006 seasons, and were humble and courageous through the entire Barbaro situation. They also bred George Washington, winner of three Grade I’s in Europe including the 2000 Guineas the same day Barbaro won the Kentucky Derby. Now that’s a true daily double. Darley and Shadwell stables are also leading contenders for the award amassing several million dollars in purses with their Grade I winning Bernardini and Jazil. Live Oak Plantation also gets plenty of consideration.

Jockey- Garret Gomez leads in total purse money and has had arguably his best year yet as a jockey. Edgar Prado has had a great year and is right behind Gomez in earnings. I would give the edge to Prado who also rode Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro. Eclipse to Edgar Prado.

Apprentice- Julien Leparoux led the nation in wins and had a great year plain and simple.

Horse of the Year-The top Eclipse award is the HOY. Cases can be made for at least three, but if accomplishments on the track are the main criteria for the award, it has to go to Invasor for his perfect 2006 season which he won four Grade I’s and capped it with a win in the Breeder’s Cup Classic. Lava Man was a Grade I winner on dirt as well as grass. If he was able to put together a better run in the Classic, he could have very well have an argument, but the case against him is he raced in California all year. He did race often though and should count for something. Barbaro’s plight on and off the track has captivated a nation. He won the Kentucky Derby. And had to survive a brutal leg break in the Preakness Stakes. He has been through a lot, and the whole nation has watched with guarded optimism as he has struggled through it all. If HOY of the year used other criteria in being HOY he would be the horse, unfortunately none of that is considered for the top award. He is with out a doubt the story of the year.

Race of the Year-No Eclipse for this, but I would vote for the Florida Derby. Barbaro won a ding dong stretch battle over Sharp Humor, propelling him to a win in the Kentucky Derby.

Here is a look back at some happenings in 2006

Highlights of 2006

The story of Barbaro of course is something we will never forget. It was an up and down rides of the high of winning the Kentucky Derby, to the dreadful low of his breakdown in the Preakness Stakes. And the story is still not over. He is well on his way to recovery.

Russell Baze becomes the all-time winning jockey passing Lafit Pincay.

Jerry Bailey retires, capping a Hall Of Fame career. He joined ESPN/ABC as a racing analyst.

Fernando Jara the 18 year Panamanian wins the Belmont Stakes and Breeder’s Cup
Classic

A solid group of fast 3 year olds that included, Bernardini, Barbaro,Henny Hughes,Discreet Cat and Showing Up to name a few

Dr. Dean Richardson, the vet who has done a magnificent job in saving Barbaros life.

The new and improved Gulfstream Park opens, however some might consider this a
Lowlight

Perfect Drift competes in his record fifth straight Breeder’s Cup Classic

The introduction of synthetic races surfaces to Keeneland and Hollywood Park, ushering in the era of poly track.

ESPN televises its first Breeder’s Cup, ending the run of NBC which had televised every Breeder’s Cup race prior to this year.

The reopening of the Fairgrounds after hurricane Katrina ravaged the track in 2005.

Apprentice Julian Leparoux leads the nation in wins.

Lowlights of 2006

Barbaro breaking his hind leg in the Preakness Stakes

Big name trainers Scott Lake, Steve Asmussen and Todd Pletcher all won tons of races, and all faced suspensions for drug positives.

Bernardini and Henny Hughes both retired prematurely for breeding purposes, good for owners, bad for race fans.

The Triple Crown series was broken up into different networks….The Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes were televised on NBC, while The Belmont Stakes. Bad move.

The sad ending of 2005 champion sprinter Lost In the Fog who lost his battle with cancer

Ouija Board in what was to be her final race in Honk Kong comes up lame forcing her to scratch.

Trevor Denman in his first shot at calling the Breeder’s Cup was not as sharp as one would hope.

Pine Island and Fleet Indian both breaking down in the Breeder’s Cup Distaff, Pine Island had to be euthanized.

The 16 million dollar buy Green Monkey has yet to make a start, word is he is not that fast.

ESPN decides to eliminate Wire To Wire from it's 2007 TV lineup.

Arlington Parks string of breakdowns this summer

Stevie Belmont
12-20-2006, 07:18 PM
The Jacksons did not breed Showing Up. I pretty sure he was bought.

Stevie Belmont
12-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Older Male- Invasor had a perfect season and by winning the BC Classic all but locked it up. Lava Man had a great year. Swept the Big 3 races in Cali and won on turf. Invasor won the Pimlico Special, The Whitney, Suburban and capped it the Classic win. Invasor is HOY...So he is also the top older horse. Both had great years.