PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga -- early bird special for next summer

andicap
12-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Re: The annual PA Spa outing. (open to absolutely everyone).

Need some guidance on this:

If we agree to renew our festival tent seats for next summer by Dec. 31, we get a discount of sorts: They won't raise the price on us. Judging by NYRA's revenue woes I'm confident they'll be looking for new and inventive ways to soak the fans -- such as raising festival tent fees.

By ordering early we should be able to get the tents for all the weekend dates as well. Last year the cost was $5 a day per person although next year I think we can provide a discount for those staying at least five days. (One day free or something like that.)
I guess it's not a huge savings,assuming they raise the price of the tables by 25% -- about $1 a day but it would be nice to know we have the tables for the busy weekends.

I think the week BEFORE the Travers worked extremely well for us -- fewer crowds both at the track and in town. Smaller lines at the windows too.

That would make it sometime during the period of Sat. Aug. 11-to-Sun. Aug. 19.That's eight days of racing. I would probably not ask for three tables everyday but go by previous experience with respect to group attendance, etc.

The tables are $20 each.

Should I go ahead and reserve the tables?

BillW
12-20-2006, 05:17 PM
Get them as soon as we can get a consensus on dates. In priority order: Table #10, Table #9, Table #20, Table #19 (if a 4th is needed)

Tom
12-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Count me in on a Saturday only - new job, no vacation for a year.:mad::(
Any dates work.

BillW
12-21-2006, 12:42 AM
Mike,

Toga '07 forum? :jump:

Dave Schwartz
12-21-2006, 01:23 AM
Sat. Aug. 11-to-Sun. Aug. 19.

Dang, I was really hoping to come but we are in Ireland for my family reunion during that time.

Dave

andicap
12-21-2006, 02:04 AM
Ah, the famous "O' Schwartzes" from County Cork. Now that's a fine Irish name, me lad.

;)

Buddha
12-21-2006, 02:31 PM
I am completely flexible as long as I know in advance to take the time off of work.

cj
12-21-2006, 02:54 PM
It is too tough for me to say this early. I may be retired by then, but maybe not. I'll know more in a month or so.

Suff
12-21-2006, 04:03 PM
imho opinion , going the week before Travers week is hard to understand.

I go, have gone, and will be going, opening weekend and Travers Week. Thats the best racing week anywhere in the world. 11 Graded races, including 7 grade 1's.

Avoiding lines as a basis for not going Travers week is like scheduling a trip to the second saturday in May to avoid the Kentucky Derby.

I just hope I make it the weeks I like to go. I find it very hard to leave Saratoga.

Leaving the day Travers week starts may require handcuffs and an intervention. I could'nt do it of my own power.

I have a hard time leaving even after the meet ends!!:lol: I love that place.

Jeff P
12-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Ya know... I've always wanted to join in for 4-5 days. You guys work out the dates. I'll be there.

-jp

John
12-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Whatever week I will be looking forward to being there with you guys..

:) :) :)

bigmack
12-21-2006, 05:54 PM
I might stick my nose out there for a "look see", but if it gets chilly @ night I'm wearing my Reagan sweatshirt.

Bathless
12-21-2006, 06:51 PM
I might stick my nose out there for a "look see", but if it gets chilly @ night I'm wearing my Reagan sweatshirt.

You would fit in better at NY's Republican race track, Finger Lakes.

Dave Schwartz
12-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Ah, the famous "O' Schwartzes" from County Cork. Now that's a fine Irish name, me lad.

Actually, we're from Belfast.

Dave

Que
12-21-2006, 07:42 PM
CJ,

Believe me, you won't be retired. I thought I'd retire this year too--after 24 1/2 years in the USAF--and spending my last four years overseas. Even though I told everyone that I was just going to relax, play golf, and write a rock opera--there hasn't been a good rock opera since Tommy, I ended up going to work for Lockheed the day after I "retired." Anyway at your age, the terminal leave alone will drive you crazy...

andicap
12-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Unless there is great objection I will get the tickets for the pre-Travers Week.
Here's why:

One major advantage of going pre-Travers is there is a lot more housing available at much better prices.

Another benefit is that the restaurants and bars are crowded but not obscenely packed.

The betting lines are shorter.

Last years Travers was a joke anyway --

That week fit into more people's schedule last year and everyone had a great time.

IMHO, the majority of PA people who go for the Saratoga outing -- the GREAT majority I would argue -- are there for the racing, to meet and revisit with their friends on this board and bet their lungs out.

Some people come up with their families, some with friends from outside PA, some come for the day, some stay at the nice 1845 Victorian house we rented five blocks from the track. (Swimming pool and bar is open to all immediately after the day's racing most days. We could not get this house for Travers Week.) Others make their own arrangements.

With a few exceptions this is not really a crowd that is going to close the bars on Caroline Street or go to clubs. Hell, we ate at Pizzeria Uno (or some such chain) several times last year and as long as the beer was cold it was great.
Many nights we cooked out and hung out, just watching the 4K pigs from Mountaineer on the local OTB channel -- again there's an open invite post-racing most days.

IMHO the only shortcoming a year ago was the failure to get the Festival Tent on the weekends due to getting a late start. That won't happen again.

BillW
12-21-2006, 11:13 PM
Unless there is great objection I will get the tickets for the pre-Travers Week.

I'm fine any week

Zaf
12-21-2006, 11:37 PM
Me too, any week is good :)

Z

Storm Cadet
01-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Dates man...specific dates please of house rental...need to make plans soon for summer camps :jump:

Has the rental contract been signed yet?

RERACING
02-11-2007, 11:04 AM
I will be at Saratoga Mon-wed-thur Aug 13-15-16.

SilverSow
02-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Hi all...

I'll be floating in & out that week (with or without Bubbles... LOL)... actually those dates will probably work for him since I think he'll be headed back to college the weekend after this. We don't stay up there but live close enough to commute and generally get there early enough to grab the tables (and begin the negotiations with the table wench when she tries to let squatters grab our spot next to the power outlet! LOL)...

Will get specific dates to you as this gets closer, but count on us for a Harness excursion evening & a "grill night" at the very least...

Dave

BillW
02-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Andy,

How about an update on the status. :)

BillW
03-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Hey Andy - are you still alive?

Andy,

How about an update on the status. :)

andicap
03-05-2007, 02:06 PM
sorry,
didn't see the original post.
Awaiting tix in the mail for that week from NYRA. It's the week before the Travers, Saturday to Saturday.

BillW
03-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Was hoping you weren't too busy with that work stuff :)

rrbauer
03-05-2007, 05:38 PM
I plan to be there Wed 15th thru Sat 18th. Will be staying on north side of Albany. I'm game for the after-the-races activities...

andicap
03-12-2007, 02:23 PM
As it turns out, everyone apparently re-upped for the first Saturday as the tables were sold out on Aug. 11. BUT we have tickets in hand for three tables for Sunday Aug. 12-Saturday the 18th.
I did not inquire about Sunday the 19th since last year only a handful of people stayed for that extra day.
If there is demand for Sunday the 19th, I will inquire about a table for that date ASAP!!

I suggest we do like a year ago and get a couple of tables near Steve Byk's place on Aug. 11 and we're set for the rest of the week.

Payment depends on attendance. A year ago it was $5 a day per person which included beverages (yes, beer too).

BillW
03-12-2007, 04:51 PM
What is the checkout day at the house?

andicap
03-12-2007, 09:50 PM
What is the checkout day at the house?

As it was a year ago -- Sunday morning.

BillW
03-12-2007, 10:48 PM
As it was a year ago -- Sunday morning.

Go ahead and grab a table if one is available - I'll pick it up and worry about peddling it if we don't use it.

andicap
03-13-2007, 12:05 AM
Will do.

andicap
03-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Sorry Bill, tables all sold out on Sunday, Aug. 19th...

BillW
03-21-2007, 12:34 AM
Sorry Bill, tables all sold out on Sunday, Aug. 19th...

No problem. T minus 5 months and counting! :jump:

Buddha
03-21-2007, 11:42 AM
So we are set for Aug 11-18? I can't wait to get back to the Spa

andicap
03-21-2007, 12:41 PM
No tables for Saturday the 11th -- but otherwise, we're set

joeparr
03-25-2007, 10:39 AM
So what days do we have tables???

BillW
03-25-2007, 12:13 PM
So what days do we have tables???

12th thru 18th :)

badcompany
03-28-2007, 08:02 PM
I usually get up there the second or third, but tend to go up during the week to avoid the rush.

Here's a pic I took last year. See if you can identify the location.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/thinlizzy21/toga045-1.jpg

John
03-28-2007, 08:09 PM
That's easy...it's the trees and sky at Saratoga...Come on give a hint.

badcompany
03-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Hint: It's near a golf course.

badcompany
03-28-2007, 08:41 PM
That first pic is the Avenue of the Pines. If you go to the State park, that's the road you'd take to get there. Those trees are huge.

I love taking pics up there. It gives me something to do besides lose money.

Here's another.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/thinlizzy21/toga056.jpg

Red Knave
03-31-2007, 06:59 PM
I usually get up there the second or third, but tend to go up during the week to avoid the rush.
Here's a pic I took last year. See if you can identify the location.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/thinlizzy21/toga045-1.jpg

Hint: It's near a golf course.
I know where that is. cj lost a ball up in the third tree on the left. He was game to play it but Buddha and I couldn't lift him up high enough.

:liar:

John
03-31-2007, 08:01 PM
I know where that is. cj lost a ball up in the third tree on the left. He was game to play it but Buddha and I couldn't lift him up high enough.

:liar:

" What fools are we that can not see the forest for the trees."..

LONGFELLOW

BillW
03-31-2007, 08:45 PM
" What fools are we that can not see the forest for the trees."..

LONGFELLOW

... or for that matter, the 7th green :lol:

Ron
04-04-2007, 01:17 PM
The Avenue of the Pines doesn't look much like that anymore. They cut down quite a few trees.

BIG RED
04-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Just talked to Walter Donnely, may go with my 'old man', Dad.

Brookline Fire Chief, we will be at Wattervillelee, south! Just a skip away.

andicap
04-17-2007, 12:17 PM
I started taking golf lessons last year (after Saratoga), so I might just join the party this year -- I can see why it's so addicting .... and frustrating.

My cousin's only advice: '"Buy lots of balls." :D

Speed Figure
04-21-2007, 03:54 PM
I'll be doing a show at The Grotto Nightclub w/Tone Loc in SARATOGA SPRINGS on Friday the 27th. If any of you guys can make it let me know!!

Dave Schwartz
05-01-2007, 09:38 PM
My cousin's only advice: '"Buy lots of balls."

Andy,

Where do you get those? I have a friend who desperately needs some.

As for the Toga Party, Beth and I may very well be attending after all. Especially if we can find a place to stay. <G>

Any suggestions where a young, newlywed couple such as ourselves might find lodging for a few days?

Also, is there any matriculation fee we need to come up with to join the party this year?

Dave

BillW
05-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Speed,

I'm going to miss you by 2 weeks, unless you are hanging around.

Dave, :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Speed Figure
05-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Bill, I'll be back there in August. I hope everyone is still around than.

BillW
05-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Bill, I'll be back there in August. I hope everyone is still around than.

11th thru the 18th here - hope to catch up with you!

andicap
05-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Andy,

Where do you get those? I have a friend who desperately needs some.

As for the Toga Party, Beth and I may very well be attending after all. Especially if we can find a place to stay. <G>

Any suggestions where a young, newlywed couple such as ourselves might find lodging for a few days?

Also, is there any matriculation fee we need to come up with to join the party this year?

Dave

Probably about $5 a person/day for the tent, includes beverages (beer/soda/water) and snacks (pretzels, chips). Thinking about a discount for a "couple" if we get enough people to cover our expenses, which we did last year. 50% off on the 2nd person. (No, Silver Sow and Bubbles doesn't qualify.)

SilverSow
05-03-2007, 11:04 AM
LOL... that's cute, Andi... we should get a stipend for daily logistical support like getting there when the gates open & dealing with the table wench so groups of blue haired old ladies wearing bizarrely similar outfits don't already have their salad bars set up or are otherwise squatting at your tables (by the only power source) when you guys finally straggle into the general vicinity at about 10 mins. to post... hee hee hee...

:p

BillW
05-03-2007, 11:13 AM
LOL... that's cute, Andi... we should get a stipend for daily logistical support like getting there when the gates open & dealing with the table wench so groups of blue haired old ladies wearing bizarrely similar outfits don't already have their salad bars set up or are otherwise squatting at your tables (by the only power source) when you guys finally straggle into the general vicinity at about 10 mins. to post... hee hee hee...

If you two keep having gang wars with roving bands of bluehairs, we'll all get there early, just for the entertainment :lol: .

SilverSow
05-03-2007, 12:07 PM
If you two keep having gang wars with roving bands of bluehairs, we'll all get there early, just for the entertainment :lol: .

Sure, be that way... if you were whining over by the "Suff fence" while your laptop batteries ran down to zilch you'd be singing a different tune! LOL...

badcompany
05-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Last year, I remember reading in one of the local papers that the racino was going to have a buffet. Anyone know if this has happened yet?

Red Knave
05-05-2007, 08:50 AM
LOL... that's cute, Andi... we should get a stipend for daily logistical support Oh, we'll give you a stipend all right. :liar:;):kiss:

BillW
05-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Last year, I remember reading in one of the local papers that the racino was going to have a buffet. Anyone know if this has happened yet?

No idea about the buffet, but their sandwiches on the 2nd floor come highly recommended. :ThmbUp:

SilverSow
05-05-2007, 08:57 AM
No idea about the buffet, but their sandwiches on the 2nd floor come highly recommended. :ThmbUp:

Not so, however, the local 1-2-3 trifecta box! LOL...

Dave

:eek: :bang: :blush:

Rookies
05-19-2007, 10:23 PM
The Rookies boys will be in attendance for the 6th straight year from Friday, August 10th- Sunday, August 12th.

Hope to see you there ! :)

John
05-20-2007, 09:55 AM

Charlie and I ate at the Deli. on the 2nd floor The woman Anna, make a great sandwich. My favorite is the Club sandwich ,all are good and always a line at the deli.Plenty of tables to sit and eat.Simucasting screen all around you

$7.00 includes your soft drink at one of those dispencing machine and you can go back for more.