PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ freakin' Google toolbar...

JPinMaryland
12-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Dammit I hate this, something that you think would be the most obvious useful thing to do and why cant they explain it on the google site??

Today I told the guy the problem I was having searching for something and he said the best thing to do is to use the google tool bar and they have an option for searching the website you are on...

Terrific! This is perfect. Okay I already have a Google tool bar so what do I do? Just go to options...

Yeah, I dont see "options" on this toolbar, at least not for Google.

Go to the google tool bar website. It does not explain it. It just says go to options OR go to the Google logo and click on it. So I click on Google logo and it gives me: standard buttons, address bars, links, lock the tool bars Goggle. No "options" and nothing about searching a website.

The google help page has a whole bunch of categories:
o Use Google site - Specify which Google domain to use for your search. ....
o Open a new window to display results ....
o Drop-down search history ....
o Highlight button ....
o Word find buttons .....
Browse By Name .....

Dammit what is going on! I dont want any of this stuff. I just want to search a freakin web site with google. How do I do this??

Help.

JPinMaryland
12-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Okay I think I may have it. Another site says under options you go to BUttons and then something for Searches and Search website.

So I see on my toolbar I have something called Settings. Under Settings, I see Options, now I have tabs for More and Buttons.

Under MoreI dont see anything that says Searches under Buttons Ive got soemthing that says Search Site, so now Ive added it so maybe I got it... :)

Bala
12-19-2006, 01:57 AM
".............web site with google......"

This is how I do it. In the google seach field >>>>> google website not the toolbar;

"Beyer site:www.paceadvantage.com"
here I am searching for the key word "Beyer" space "site:" only on PA's website. A very powerful tool.

JPinMaryland
12-22-2006, 02:11 PM
yeah it's very useful. ANother question: can I do a google seearch using proximity indicators, e.g. "w/in 3" ? Say I want to find "Beyer" used in the same sentence or the same paragraph as "speed figures." can I do this w/ google?

Perhaps this is obvious but I did not see it the last time I went through the help stuff.

JPinMaryland
12-22-2006, 03:44 PM
thx for response, Bala. :)

michiken
12-22-2006, 08:40 PM
All search bars are used to track your browsing habits and will never be installed on my computer. Why tie up the resources with spyware?

You can also download Mozilla Firefox (http://mozilla.com/) which is a superior browser and has a default google search tool in the top menu.

In my opinion, I would uninstall all toolbars and learn how to use the sites effectively. Here is a link to effective web searching.

Google Search Tips (http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/refinesearch.html)

JPinMaryland
12-22-2006, 11:23 PM
I am considering a new browser but I thought most folks go with Opera? Or does everybody use several?? I think I am only capable of handling one at a time so which one..? :confused:

BIG RED
12-23-2006, 03:59 AM
I use firefox for just about everything. I also have IE for youbet only, they don't set up with firefox.