PDA

View Full Version : Update help

Tom
12-17-2006, 10:55 AM
I NEVER ok automtaic updates, yet I have one that keeps sending me a message to restart my computer to make my download effective. The only download I have seen lately is IE 7 which I do not want.
I notice yesterday, that the irrating message has infiltrated my shut down screen in an obvious attempt to sneak itself into my syste, - the normal clisk here to shut down now shows a message to shut down AND install, and shut down only is a tiny link at the bottom, where you probably would miss it.

Proble is, I use Taks Manager to end the messagem but it keeps restarting and I have to keep stopping it.

How can I find what was donwloaded and stop it permenantly?
I can't sit here forever manually preventing it

MS......what Bullshit systems!

DJofSD
12-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Tom, you should probably go ahead let it install. You could have a partially installed update that needs to finish up.

If afterwards you don't like it you can restore to the last good restore point. That should undo the update.

Ponyplayr
12-17-2006, 11:26 AM
I use AVG Firewall..I can block most software from reaching out.

I also have Windows Defender..It notifies me of any changes to any application.
Then I can go to the registry and check and remove any that I don't want.
I'm not sure if there is a %100 way to totally protect your computer from this problem.

Tom
12-17-2006, 11:44 AM
DJ, that did the trick! Thanks.

Pony - I took AVG off ( nw version) becasue t slowed my computer down to the point of being useless. The OLD version was super, but they dropped the ball on the update. I reinstalled it several times, to make sue it was the software - it was. It was slightly slower than pouring glue on the hard drive.

I really think my computer days are coming to the end. With Vista on the horizon, MS is definately out of my life forever. this whole computer thing is justt too damn much work and time consuming to be worth the bother. I can flick a swtich and have my TV on and enjoy it end of story - friggin computer is worse than a job.

KYJACK
12-18-2006, 08:49 AM
I NEVER ok automtaic updates, yet I have one that keeps sending me a message to restart my computer to make my download effective. The only download I have seen lately is IE 7 which I do not want.
I notice yesterday, that the irrating message has infiltrated my shut down screen in an obvious attempt to sneak itself into my syste, - the normal clisk here to shut down now shows a message to shut down AND install, and shut down only is a tiny link at the bottom, where you probably would miss it.Tom
I feel you pain, brother! I too noticed that little addition to the shut-down screen! It pushed one of my pet-peeve buttons - When I say shut down, I mean NOW, Dangit! I want to go to sleep or have to leave for work, instead of waiting for yet another update! I gave up AOL years ago for it's habit of sneaking in another "Aw shucks Update!" at shutdown. I think on that recent Shutdown screen trick - that it was wanting to go out on the web and download the update and install it. It did strike me as very suspicious! Hmmm, maybe it wasn't MS - then on the other hand, I am a bit of a conspiracy nut! :)

However, when a 'you need to restart' message pops up, they've already done the update deed and got you (Sooner or later you've got to reboot! HeeHeeHee!)

I too keep automatic updates set to manual - Got tired of automatic updates changing my computer - something breaks and I lose days trying to figure what's going on - Is is Spyware, Microsoft, hackers, Virus'es, FBI, Homeland Security, My ISP, or my own ineptness? How do you tell the good guys from the bad ones? Usually it's the Thursday or Friday night update that bombs and ruins my weekend! I usually wait until Tuesday or Wednesday to do updates (I figure the 9-5 M-F coders pay more attention to the updates they feed down the pipeline - not watching the clock for the weekend! and by then, they've fixed the broken ones from the weekend!)

When notified that updates are available, I select the "Custom updates" rather than the Quick & easy install. This way, XP will popup a window with the updates its wanting to install with their ID Number. e.g. KB######. You can then google the number for more info and see if anyone had a problem with the update. I then create a system restore checkpoint with my own comments stating I'm about to install their updates - so I can later uninstall - Just in case they break something - again! Then I do the updates!

How can I find what was donwloaded and stop it permenantly? I can't sit here forever manually preventing it MS......what Bullshit systems!As long as you have 'Automatic Updates' they'll always bother you!

You can turn off the Service, but then you'll just get a reminder to turn it back on. Or, you can set it to "Just notify you" when an update is avaible for download. Or, you can set it to download the updates, but let you decide what to install. Either way they're going to bug you, unless you go the totally automatic route. I'm seeing 5 or 6 update requests a week, including their "OneCare' firewall/spyware/Malware software, as well as the 'Security Issue' updates about the potential hackers.

To find out after the fact what has changed:
1. Use the "START | SEARCH" function, to search for all files 'Modified' within the last couple of days. Then sort by the date field to get them in order. Check for new '.log" files and newly creaed directories.
2. Learn to read the "Event Viewer" logs ("CONTROL PANEL" | "ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS" | "EVENT VIEWER").
3.Using "Windows Explorer", navigate to the "C:\WINDOWS" folder. Click on the 'Date Modified' column to get things sorted by date. Look for recent log files ('WindowsUpdate.log' and 'KB######.log'). Also check for newly created '$NtUninstallKB$#####$' folders to get the ID number of the latest updates

It can get deep pretty guick.

A term from my dating days comes to mind: "High Maintenance!" - I have things to do with my computer - not gives my energies to piddling with their short-comings! My time is valuable too! Dangit!

It ultimately boils down to a matter of trust. After realizing how much of my time I was losing tracking down/repairing changes on my machine (Talk about a 'denial of service' attack!), I now just try to cover the basics - Run AdAware & Spybot, install anti-virus programs and a firewall. And yes allow their updating on a somewhat orderly/scheduled basis. Then you bend over and hope nothing bad happens! :bang:

Jack

Dick Schmidt
12-18-2006, 01:13 PM
I'm mystified a bit here. Since I use my computer many hours a day to make a living, I am very sensitive to anything that slows it down or causes problems of any sort. I've been using the same machine for two years (a Dell) and have had automatic update turned on the whole time. I always install everything MS recommends and occasionally go to the update site and download some of the "non-critical" updates as well. My machine just keeps on humming. It is as fast as the day I got it and never has a glitch. The only time it has been down this year is during a power outage last month.

I don't think your problems are from too many updates, but just the opposite. I'm sure the good people at AVG assume you have all the recent service packs and updates installed and that my be what is slowing you down. I use the current version of AVG and it performs flawlessly.

Based on my experience, I would go to the update site that MS runs and download everything on offer. Bill and the boys aren't doing updates just for fun, they are fixing problems as they arise. By no means perfect, but from what I can see they keep your computer running smoothly and safely.

Dick

The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

skate
12-18-2006, 01:56 PM
ya, im sure Dick knows more bout this than i, but i must say (because ive been anti auto update forever), finally gave in, and things are very good.

everyday i receive updates, but along with fiber optics, things could not be better.\

windows (MS) are way better. they did have their problems.

Tom
12-18-2006, 06:38 PM
The only update I have not installed is IE7.