PDA

View Full Version : Hey I'm new!

Hard Spun
12-15-2006, 02:53 PM
My name is Rachel and I live in Delaware. My favorite 2yo currently is my screenname Hard Spun. He's a Danzig colt who will be running on Monday in the PA Nursery Stakes. Anyway I hope to have a good time here. :)

46zilzal
12-15-2006, 05:21 PM
My name is Rachel and I live in Delaware. My favorite 2yo currently is my screenname Hard Spun. He's a Danzig colt who will be running on Monday in the PA Nursery Stakes. Anyway I hope to have a good time here.
good old Dan. Last time I saw him he had just gone through an eye infection which caused his eye to have to be partially stitched up. Left him with a clouded cornea. Remarkable horse had he been sound....Built like his pop: Low to the ground and massive.

46zilzal
12-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Porter said trainer Larry Jones plans to ship Hard Spun next Wednesday to Oaklawn Park in Hot Springs, Ark. If all goes well, Porter said, Hard Spun's first race as a 3-year-old could be the Grade III Lecomte Stakes on Jan. 13 at the Fair Grounds in New Orleans.

Hard Spun
12-15-2006, 05:56 PM
good old Dan. Last time I saw him he had just gone through an eye infection which caused his eye to have to be partially stitched up. Left him with a clouded cornea. Remarkable horse had he been sound....Built like his pop: Low to the ground and massive.

What?

46zilzal
12-15-2006, 07:14 PM
What?
the stallion Danzig was referred to as Dan by the folks at Claiborne

Hard Spun
12-15-2006, 08:48 PM
the stallion Danzig was referred to as Dan by the folks at Claiborne

Oh ok. Yeah Danzig was a nice stallion PA bred like "Grizzly" (Hard Spun's nickname over at Rockportharbor.com)

Suff
12-15-2006, 09:00 PM
Danzig was the name Hitler gave the first city he conquered on his march into Poland.

fwiw

xfile
12-16-2006, 08:11 PM
My name is Rachel and I live in Delaware. My favorite 2yo currently is my screenname Hard Spun. He's a Danzig colt who will be running on Monday in the PA Nursery Stakes. Anyway I hope to have a good time here. :)

Hello Rachel - Welcome to the PA Board. Hope you have a good time here. I always look for new intelligent life :cool:

OTM Al
12-16-2006, 11:33 PM
Uh Suff, Danzig was a German city pre WWI. It was part of the Hanseatic League of German States. Now that it is owned by Poland it has the Slavic version of its name, Gdansk

A very very brief history....
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1E1-Gdans.html

His name always seemed to be a play on his sires name to me.

Suff
12-16-2006, 11:59 PM
Uh Suff, Danzig was a German city pre WWI. It was part of the Hanseatic League of German States. Now that it is owned by Poland it has the Slavic version of its name, Gdansk

A very very brief history....
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1E1-Gdans.html

His name always seemed to be a play on his sires name to me.

I know. I don't know if in fact Danzig the sire, or his sire, or a sire in his line are directly named for the Polish City that is now called Gdansk.

I do know that Hitler disagreed with the boundarys laid out in the Treaty at Versailles. And Gdansk was the city he launched his attack on. He renamed it? or at that point it was refered to as Danzig, until 1945 when it reverted to the slavic name.

From a speech Hitler gave after German Warships arrived in Danzig Harbor

For months we have been suffering under the torture of a problem which the Versailles Diktat created - a problem which has deteriorated until it becomes intolerable for us. Danzig was and is a German city. The Corridor was and is German. Both these territories owe their cultural development exclusively to the German people. Danzig was separated from us, the Corridor was annexed by Poland. As in other German territories of the East, all German minorities living there have been ill-treated in the most distressing manner. More than 1,000,000 people of German blood had in the years 1919-1920 to leave their homeland.

BIG RED
12-17-2006, 12:05 AM
Getting back to Hard Spun, enjoy being here, it's a trip :cool: