PDA

View Full Version : Murphy's LAW

Suff
10-22-2002, 02:55 PM
In the theme of what can go wrong will... here's a few Murphy's laws to watch for on Saturday.

Arlington was the first Track in USA to use an Electric gate Start. Saturday it malfunctions.

Arlington was the first Track in USA to use an electonic TOTE in the Infield. Saturday it Malfunctions.

Arlington was the First Track in USA to use a CAMERA for Photo Finish's. Saturday it Malfunctions.

Arlington is the ONLY track in USA with a Six STORY grandstand. Saturday someone toss's something onto the track.

BillW
10-22-2002, 04:30 PM
From Engineering 101 I remember a specific clause of Murphy's law that went something like:

"In an engineering endeavor, the most critical unit of measure will be expressed in the least useable terms i.e. furlongs per fortnight"

DON'T bet any nag whose speed is measured in furlongs per fortnight! Turtles on the otherhand would be a safe bet. :)

Bill

Derek2U
10-22-2002, 09:27 PM
How come U know it alls never post 1 single selection?
You all know Sooooooooo Much, how come I never see 1 single
Dave Schwartz-Larry Hamilton pick? hehe .... come on guys,
treat us all to your brains.

Suff
10-22-2002, 10:25 PM
who you talking to? and why pick this "fun thread" to get into that? I post selections like I'm getting paid for it. How about you? Who do you like over 8-1 on saturday? You've picked a Few houdini's before... Give me one for Saturday?

Dave Schwartz
10-22-2002, 11:02 PM
I always post my BC picks... and typically get my but kicked. As I recall, laast year was atypical... I showed a profit.

Dave

Larry Hamilton
10-22-2002, 11:24 PM
HOw could I not respond to such a pleasant request? Here is a quick wrap up of the ones I like tomorrow:

in the 1st I like the 3
2nd - 4
3rd - 7
4th - 5
5th - 8
6th - 1a
7 - pass

my apologies to George Carlin for "borrowing" his schtick.

PaceAdvantage
10-22-2002, 11:29 PM
The funny part was that he singled out Larry, who's posted about 5 times in the last 10 months.....LOLBT

(I of course exaggerate, but you get my drift...)

==PA

Lefty
10-23-2002, 12:36 AM
Larry, very good. Was Carlin the one did hee's the baseball scores:
3-1, 7-2 and 5-0, sumpin like that?

zieglerjw
10-23-2002, 02:46 AM
Derek2U: don't you realize that if all of the "brains " on this site started posting their "winning" selections that our two dollar bets would somehow affect their ROI!!! Or maybe they are not as proficient as we think they are !! Or they think they are .. I know only one thing , that if I could pick winners as well as some of our "friends", I would surely share the info....:(

Lefty
10-23-2002, 03:05 AM
Derek, and Zieg, didn't you guys ever hear the give a man a fish, teach a man to fish story? Think about it.

zieglerjw
10-23-2002, 03:54 AM
LEFTY : we are not talking about "fishing " here , we are trying to get opinions about horseracing selections at various tracks .. IF you have something to offer ,come on in , otherwise: why comment ???

Larry Hamilton
10-23-2002, 07:24 AM
....duh, I would rather you call me stupid. it has nothing to do with 2 bucks. It has everything to do with it's mine, why should I give it to you. I have spent thousands of hours in the research, and thousands of dollars to build the data and countless hours i couldnt sleep thinking about one horse problem or another. Every pick I make has that background, why would you think anyone has a right to what I think.

Enigma
10-23-2002, 08:11 AM
Hey, Derek & Zieg,
If you have something that really works, you don't tell and you don't sell. Think about it !!!

ranchwest
10-23-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by zieglerjw
LEFTY : we are not talking about "fishing " here , we are trying to get opinions about horseracing selections at various tracks .. IF you have something to offer ,come on in , otherwise: why comment ???

When people pay their dues to learn, just be thankful when they share anything. You aren't going to make them feel guilty about not sharing their hard work. When people I respect talk, I listen.

keilan
10-23-2002, 11:17 AM
Occasionally posting selections has nothing to do with educating fellow punters, so quit pretending like it does.

joeprunes
10-23-2002, 11:18 AM
Maybe i`m missing something ,i`m here to get more knowledge and help, if you got it all ,what are you on this site for??? No disrespect just wondering.

Lefty
10-23-2002, 12:00 PM
Has nothing to do with fishing, huh> It was an analogy, let me break it down for you, splain it for you, if you will...
I'd rather for these experts to give me their opinions and insights about racing and not just selections. With the knowledge they give me I can make my own selections.
If you want selection there are plenty of people on the radio and the net willing to give free selections. The place is inundated with free selections.
At the racebook the other day a young man asked me what I liked in a certain race. Since he asked I told him. after the horse won and paid $20+ he said, "sure wished I woulda bet it."
Zieg, I commented because I wanted to just like you did. You think your comments better'n mine? Well, do yuh, huh, huh, huh?
Experts: Give me your methods not your selections; some things I can do for myself.

hurrikane
10-23-2002, 12:10 PM
I thought it was
"give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will "drink" for a lifetime" :D

zieglerjw
10-23-2002, 12:20 PM
T

Dave Schwartz
10-23-2002, 12:42 PM
Hurrikane,

That was great!

Dave

Larry Hamilton
10-23-2002, 01:32 PM
damifiknow

keilan
10-23-2002, 01:47 PM
Just my opinion!

It appears some on this board have worked very hard at crafting themselves out as " SUPER DUPER HANDICAPPING GURU'S " The masses on the board read his rhetoric almost daily and occasionally ask " Show me your stuff " Those that question are bombarded with attacks, insults and chastised for not blindly following along ".

There are those who vehemently talk about never posting their picks before race time for a variety of different reasons. But I think they're just plain afraid that the picks / selections wouldn't live up to the image they believe they have created as this
" super horseplayer".

It has nothing to do with giving away any of your trade secrets or handicapping expertise. See no one asked you how you arrived at your selection only to make selections, huge difference.

To any of you " self proclaimed Guru's " before you take exception answer this one question only.

By posting your selections without any race analysis or post race commentary, how on earth could a newcomer or anyone else benefit from what you select?

Just answer the question I'm all ears!!

ranchwest
10-23-2002, 02:40 PM
Each person here is free to do as they wish. The only rule that everyone expects to be followed is to not "redboard" (don't tell us what you played afterwards unless you have legitimate context within a story). The only person who has something to prove is the redboarder.

As to those who set themselves up as gurus, examine what they write and see if it works. You'll find that some never really post anything, some post some useful information and some are spouting some urban legend garbage. Do your homework and figure it out.

Some people don't like posting picks just because they don't like doing it. They might just as easily not stand on a street corner and sing.

Tom
10-23-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
Hurrikane,

That was great!

Dave

I don't get it????

keilan
10-23-2002, 02:52 PM
Ranch -- everyone knows the rules on this board, though granted not everyone follows them.

And some people like to tell everyone how wonderful they are, they just don't like to show it.

Oh and people that can truly sing would showcase their talent on any corner, club or a recording studio every chance they get.

But I'm still waiting for an answer to my one question!!

ranchwest
10-23-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by keilan
Ranch -- everyone knows the rules on this board, though granted not everyone follows them.

And some people like to tell everyone how wonderful they are, they just don't like to show it.

Oh and people that can truly sing would showcase their talent on any corner, club or a recording studio every chance they get.

But I'm still waiting for an answer to my one question!!

If someone is falsely setting themselves up as a guru, call them on it. Point out the error of their ways.

But to mandate picks, seems kinda fascist to me.

keilan
10-23-2002, 03:17 PM
Ranch -- Mandate is a little strong don't you think, go back and re-read the posts and fascist because ????

Ranch my comments are not directed towards you, so please quit providing explanations and excuses for others.

cj
10-23-2002, 03:51 PM
Keilan,

Not that I proclaim to be an expert, at least I hope I don't, but maybe this can shed some light. When I first started coming to this board, I posted about 11 or 12 selections. 4 won, with the payoffs adding up to around $50. I received a couple replies saying nice pick, but that's about it. No pre race debate or after race discussion of the winners or losers. I guess what I'm saying is what's the point. Noone on this board seem too interested in selections.

My point is, there is no upside to posting picks here.

CJ

cj
10-23-2002, 03:57 PM
BTW, Derek, who started this discussion on posting pix, is probably the biggest offender of "redboarding" that frequents the site. It is beyond me why he would ask for others to make picks. The good thing about PA is it is all still there for all to go back and see if interested, no re-inventing history.

CJ

ranchwest
10-23-2002, 04:00 PM
I guess I'm not understanding anything about this thread. Who, what, when, where, how, why? I don't get any of it.

Dave Schwartz
10-23-2002, 04:29 PM
Tom,

I don't know why my note posted twice. I was referring to Hurrikane's comment about fishing.

Dave

Suff
10-23-2002, 05:13 PM
Juts got back from Suffolk,,, Sat with My buddy Dennis... 35 years around the track.. owned horses, friends with all the Jock's , Trainers, owners, The man KNOWS alot about horse racing. Matter of fact... Makes his living off betting horses. Retired Boston Cop... We talked horses all afternoon... Enjoyable time. Played 8 races.. dropped 80 bucks. If A guy wants to keep what he knows close to the vest.. thats his right... But MOST horseplayers I know... Really enjoy talking Horses. I sat with or near Dennis for three years before he'd talk horses with me. Thats just the way he is.. ... Me? I'll talk horses with my 82 year old landlord until she closes the door in my face. To each his own... I like posting my anaylsis and my selections... But I could care less if anyone else does,,, i do it because I enjoy it... if you don't enjoy it , don't do it.

zieglerjw
10-23-2002, 05:21 PM
May I offer my humble apology to this board for making an irrational question RE: selection posting ?? And I would like to thank everyone that responded to my posting. All of you have certainly enlightened and educated me !! I can now leave you being convinced of ONE thing ................

keilan
10-23-2002, 07:47 PM
Warning Long Post:

CJ -- Totally agree with everything you posted, While some are only mildly interested in someone's else's selections there are others I suspect who read selections for a variety of different reasons.

There are at least two different groups here. The first group represents players like you and I. We have decided that maybe since there isn't a lot of discussion about our choices either before or after the race and have concluded " what's the point continuing to post " ( I'm not getting anything out of this ). That is a fair dialog.

The second group ( the overwhelming minority ) are vastly different and come across as some kind elite " Handicapping Guru's ". Often stating things like we have all the answers but why should we give any of it to anyone else. I think members on this board would be especially interested about the selections of these individuals who claim they are tearing this game apart with huge win and ROI percentages. It is those person's who are all talk that do a disservice to the new or intermediate player who is trying to duplicate those results.

The guys who say I've got all the answers and why should I give that to anyone else drive me crazy. What the hell are they doing here, a discussion forum is not the place for them, let them go find a soapbox somewhere.

I asked for one question to be answered by someone in the second group, I suspect no one has come forward because they realize that fellow handicapper's can't determine anything from selections alone or gain any worthwhile insight into someone's handicapping methodologies or strategies. This is their way of blowing us off.

See this group is NOT afraid of being right, there afraid of something else. Lets just hope they're able to pull the trigger when it comes time to wager.

To those few individuals who do make selections regularly -- Keep Posting !!

ranchwest
10-23-2002, 08:18 PM
keilan,

A lot of what I've been driving at is that we can only control ourselves, not someone else.

Most people who make big claims and don't show a thorough knowledge of the sport are probably just blowing smoke, but we'll never know for sure because a lot of them don't give us a clue as to what the truth is. Disclosing picks doesn't necessarily tell us much, either. There's probably some folks here who make most of their annual profit on just a few big hits. I'd say they're good handicappers if they can do it year in and year out, but if they were to post their picks they might seem to be blundering idiots when in fact they're just waiting for the big one to come in.

What we all know is that it is not easy to make a profit over the long haul and those who do are really good handicappers.

I suggest that you might consider confining your attention to those who are willing to be helpful and provide insight. The rest of the folks are a waste of time.

wes
10-23-2002, 08:37 PM
They started out with nothing and most likely still have most of it left.

wes

smf
10-23-2002, 09:31 PM
keilan,

You can do us all a favor and name who all (in your opinion of course) is in that "second group" you referred to. "They" won't respond unless you name them b/c they don't know who the hell you're talking about, exactly.

In case I'm in that group (and I don't consider myself a damn guru), I'll give some reasons why I don't post picks anymore here after Woodbine is done this evening...later

Larry Hamilton
10-23-2002, 09:41 PM
It's obvious, I am the one ... I'll go find a soapbox

Lefty
10-23-2002, 09:49 PM
Smf, I don't know who these "self proclaimed Gurus" are either. I just don't remember anyone claiming that

keilan
10-23-2002, 10:05 PM
smf,Larry and Lefty ( in order of recent posts )

If you find cause to disagree with something I have posted, please state it so we might begin a dialog.

smf
10-23-2002, 10:21 PM
keilan,

As stated above in my post, I simply want to know>...., who all do you consider to be in that "second group" you refer to?

Simple question. Since you're the one that mentioned a "second group", then surely you know who is in it.

keilan
10-23-2002, 10:31 PM
smf -- I was clear in my description of the " second group " If this doesn't describe you, move on.

If there is something I have posted that you disagree with, lets hear it.

Tom
10-23-2002, 10:35 PM
Just my opinion!

To any of you " self proclaimed Guru's " before you take exception answer this one question only.

By posting your selections without any race analysis or post race commentary, how on earth could a newcomer or anyone else benefit from what you select?

Just answer the question I'm all ears!!

By betting them and then they win.
That was an easy one.

Tom
10-23-2002, 10:39 PM
Tom,

I don't know why my note posted twice. I was referring to Hurrikane's comment about fishing.

Dave

It was his point that I don't get?
I still don't, and now I have a headache <G>

smf
10-23-2002, 10:44 PM
When PA had the old board up (before 3/01) I used to post picks and always issued a "if he doesn't look good in flesh, it's no bet" warning. I use physicality and body language review more now than I did then. Consequently, I'd be posting picks that I wouldn't bet half the time. That's not fair to anyone, is it.

The ones that won drew little response, the ones that didn't win drew nothing. Theory and experiences are what people are here for. You get confirmation of ability at the windows in handicapping. Anything else doesn't matter, imho.

I disagree in general with whoever said that posting picks won't hurt prices. I have very few claimed from angles, and I really don't want to give em out over the net. That's my prerogative, my choice. Claimed from plays only account for ~50 bets per year where I am, why GIVE that sh*t out to everyone?

smf
10-23-2002, 10:47 PM
smf -- I was clear in my description of the " second group " If this doesn't describe you, move on.

keilan,

So you won't be exact as to who all is the second group you refer to?

Nice, very nice.

keilan
10-23-2002, 10:47 PM
Tom -- You always crack me up and again you had me laughing out loud.

How did those jugheads ( Fancy Prancers ) treat you over the weekend?

ranchwest
10-23-2002, 11:50 PM

If you have something to say, say it. Otherwise, you're the one who needs to move on. Some of us read nearly all the messages here and this thread is mighty weak.

Dave Schwartz
10-24-2002, 12:34 AM
Tom,

I was referring to Hurrikane's post:

>>>"give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will "drink" for a lifetime"<<<

I thought it was funny.

Dave

Lefty
10-24-2002, 12:49 AM
Keilan, I thght I WAS clear. I don't know who you mean. You refer to self proclaimed gurus. I know of none in these waters. I can't be more clear than that. You're the Riddler, not I. there ya go.

keilan
10-24-2002, 01:17 AM
Ranch -- I've said it, do you have any comprehension of the English language or not? Don't bother to answer you have already proven you don't.

The thread seemed to confuse you earlier when you stated " I guess I'm not understanding anything about this thread. Who, what, when, where, how, why? I don't get any of it ".

Now let me give you some advice. Why don't you stop running your mouth and start thinking a little bit.

I got involved in this thread only after once again the Superstars around here began giving it to fellow punters on why they wouldn't post selections. I will type really slow this time so you can get it this time.

There is really nothing anyone can learn when someone posts their selections when no supporting analysis is provided with the race selections. The person posting is very likely using / looking at different information than the person viewing those selections. Go back and read what I posted I really don't feel like saying it again.

I asked more than 20 post ago for someone to answer this question.

" By posting your selections without any race analysis or post race commentary, how on earth could a newcomer or anyone else benefit from what you select "?

Okay smart guy maybe you would like to try the question or else you can move on.

All of these threads seem to turn on the poster who asks questions, why is that?

keilan
10-24-2002, 01:19 AM
Lefty -- let me break it down for you, splain it for you, if you will...

When you start acting sincere you will get my attention, until then keep acting the smartass.

PaceAdvantage
10-24-2002, 02:12 AM
...Those that question are bombarded with attacks, insults and chastised for not blindly following along...

I'm still stuck on this one post. Care to point out a case of bombardment with attacks and insults????? I don't recall this happening. I would have remembered it. If I'm wrong, I apologize in advance.

==PA

PS. I just posted a bunch of picks....check em out...

BC Analysis / Selections (http://www.paceadvantage.com/Breeders_Cup_2002.htm)

keilan
10-24-2002, 02:59 AM
Hi PA,

First let me congratulate you on a very fine and well run site. Thanks for providing a forum for all handicappers to be heard, and a vehicle for information, discussion and idea's to be exchanged.

Now on to your question. I will list three Threads that share a similar tone by members who don't care to have questions poised of them.

1) " How good are you "
2) " Searching for handicapping knowledge "
3) " DRF on odds plunging "

There is no need to apologize on your part, I'm glad you asked the question.

Lefty
10-24-2002, 03:00 AM
Keilan, I am sincere and you ask a silly question the answer is nobody really benefits with selections with no analysis. It's not a hard question and i'm confused why you ask it except you seem intent on sticking it to someone you won't even name. You won't tell us who you're even talking about and you accuse me of being insincere.
I would say, go back and read your posts-you keep ,making contradictory statements. I would say it's you who needs a language refresher. I say this at the risk of being labelled a smartass once again.
But to paraphrase Rhett Butler, "Frankly my boy, I don't give a damn,"

BillW
10-24-2002, 03:04 AM
Hmmm,

A thread on Murphy's law succumbing to the subject law!

Edsel Murphy is rolling over in his grave (LHAO :))

Bill

ranchwest
10-24-2002, 06:30 AM
keilan,

OK, I get it now. You're the Riddler and you're talking about Batman, right?

I've got a university minor in English and I hardly need the likes of you lecturing me on the language.

You ask:

" By posting your selections without any race analysis or post race commentary, how on earth could a newcomer or anyone else benefit from what you select "?

SMF provided an example, which you ignored. If someone makes claimed from plays, providing a selection would be a huge benefit to anyone else. The same could be said of someone known for playing key races and I'm sure there are other excellent examples.

So, there, there's the answer that inquiring minds want to know.

Now, who are the "superstars" around here? How many more riddles will you toss at us?

Larry Hamilton
10-24-2002, 07:47 AM
It just occured to me where I have seen this style, technique and tone before. Who else is so sanctimonious it drips off his posts? Who else is single minded on his attacks on me and Dave? The people player is back guys...Now i get it!

Tom
10-24-2002, 09:48 AM
Tom,

I was referring to Hurrikane's post:

>>>"give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will "drink" for a lifetime"<<<

I thought it was funny.

Dave

That's what I dind't get.
Now, on top of the headache, the damn voices are back! <G>

Tom
10-24-2002, 09:55 AM
Tom -- You always crack me up and again you had me laughing out loud.

How did those jugheads ( Fancy Prancers ) treat you over the weekend?

GREAT night for the Breeder's Crown.
Lucky on a 1w3p unit bet on a $11.90 place horse and the $75 exacta. This harness stuff is really a lot of fun.

Suff
10-24-2002, 03:23 PM
this Internet stuff is FUNNY FUNNY stuff... First off.. this thread I started was meant to be humorous... and showed 2 things. A. I'm a lil obssesed with saturdays racing and B. I have way to much time on my hands this week, and I know way to much about Arlinton Park. With that said.. I'll follow along and post an Opinion.

NO ONE.... absolutley NO ONE has posted more selections with anyalsis than I have in the last 4-5 months.. And I'm not looking for any attention, positive or negative,, But I must say, its kinda wierd the thread could get this long and my name has'nt come up. Take out the three weeks I was burnt out... the Two weeks I was at Saratoga.. and I own virtually half the threads in the selection section since SPRING on the Selections board... and Frankly for people to Biatch about not enough selctions is KINDA FUNNY... what more do you want... I break down pace.. I break down class,,, I incorporate weather.. I touch on Breeding.. I touch on distance... Let me bring up one post last week,,, its entitled "MAKING A CASE FOR A HORSE AT KEENELAND TOMMORROW"... its in the selction section now.. Not to far back.

I spent alot of time looking at Racereplays.com of the horses LAST race.. I look at some replays of two of the horses he ran behind in a previous outing.. I posted my findings.. I broke down his tactical speed and its advantage in this particular field,,, I touched on his connections and I painted a Picture to Justify placing a bet on the horse.... The horse went off at 23-1.. Ran 2nd behing PAt DAY on a 2-5... $100+ exacta... 300.00 TRI... $2800.00 Superfecta... and no one on this thread said WORD ONE TO ME!!!... I'm not looking for a pat on that back.. but whne I start a thread meant to be fun and people start BIATCHING about no one posts selections... its downright Comical... Now I am no Expert, and I do not come off as one,, But I have posted my Share of NICE WINNERS on this board... and I am not just posting NUMBERS... I break races down. and I spend alot of time on my posts... and if your not learning anything from my posts,, then you ARE NOT IN NEED of anyones selections.. CUZ YOU ALREADY KNOW THE GAME..... so are you asking others to do the work for you? or are you asking others to teach you? I suspect some of what you want is to capitalize on the 15 hours I spent on RACEREPLAYS.com this week... watching horses finish 6th.. OVER AND OVER AN OVER... watching,, rewinding,, watching again,, Looking hard for an angle...

Right now,,, the selctions section could use a couple more like me... Not to post winners,, Because I do not post winners... I ANYLIZE races and post the way I see it... someone else could look at the same race and see it differently... and when two people like that get together.. thats when the REAL LEARNING STARTS

freeneasy
10-25-2002, 03:02 AM
hey, believe me Suf I read every word you print, then read it up all over again with your post race analists and comments, Same with rr's, Q's and all the others. Man I eat this stuff with a fork and spoon. and when I grt out to the track I jot youse guy's picks down on my form and take them for serious consideration. Had I of gone out to the track today you can betchor bippy I would've have definetly of, how do you like that example of "perfect imperfect" Kings English Ranchwest, ( would've have definetly of ) scribbled down PA's picks somewhere on the form, I dont need his analist, I just know the man is a tradesman at his craft and made a study of each selection before making them a post.
Dope'n em out and then posting an indepth aynalist are the same two different things. ( hmm, now Iam speaking Yogi'ism ) And when these guys make money, hey man, I love it. I posted some picks that crapped out and there were times on some of those occasions where I still made money.
I forget who it was/is that post his picks "for entertainment only" hey, Tells me he might like something a little bit risky but entertaining enough to him to make it worth the cost of a small investment. I love it.
Now if we could just get Dick Smidt to post some of his picks, well maybe he could title it Dicks Picks, or, I got it, he could title it Big Dicks Picks?............... Naaaaa

PaceAdvantage
10-25-2002, 03:33 AM
Or, maybe we could all just PICK our collective noses and be done with this thread??!!??

Is it Friday yet?? Yeah, I think it is.....:eek:

==PA

ranchwest
10-25-2002, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
Or, maybe we could all just PICK our collective noses and be done with this thread??!!??

Is it Friday yet?? Yeah, I think it is.....:eek:

==PA

One can only hope.

hurrikane
10-25-2002, 11:51 AM
Hey Suf,
I read all your post. Like the analysis. Don't make lot of noise about it. Others might start reading and drive the odds down. :D

Suff
10-25-2002, 08:40 PM
Thanks guys.. and lets let it go... its the night before Our Biggest night of the year.. and I wish everybody an Enjoyable day tommorrow... If you win great.. if you break even and have a good time,, great to... If you lose.. But you played what you liked,,, Then so be it. Enjoy yourself. Worked 6:00 am to 8:00 pm tonight, Gotta few things to take care of, and I'll be posting My Breeders Cup selections Later tonight.. Gonna Throw an aqueduct race in there,, and JUST BECAUSE its a special NIGHT,, I'm gonna Call in a chip and get a winner for everyone at SUFFOLK DOWNS tommorrow... How bout that!

freeneasy
10-25-2002, 10:02 PM
Ill second that motion