PDA

View Full Version : Got our Yankee Killer

Suff
12-13-2006, 06:43 PM
(Matsuzaka)MatZilla in the house!! 6 years , 52 million!

He's at Mass General at this moment getting a physical. It will be official in 30 minutes!!!

AL EAST in the bag.:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Thats doubles thumbs up for all you New Yawkers!! Double thumbs bayybeee!!

njcurveball
12-14-2006, 12:34 AM
And what are you going to do for the 8th and 9th innings?

Dan Montilion
12-14-2006, 12:48 AM
How much does Boston have to fork over to the Japanese team?

cj
12-14-2006, 02:03 AM
Waste of money, though at least they are willing to spend it, unlike the Orioles.

Suff
12-14-2006, 08:40 AM
How much does Boston have to fork over to the Japanese team?

The Sox paid a $51 Million dollar posting fee for exclusive negotiation rights. The time window was tonight at midnight. No deal, he went back to Japan for 2007 season.

Waste of money, though at least they are willing to spend it, unlike the Orioles.

Now, you don't know that. The fact is , is that he has 5 Major league pirches, and two of them, ( his fastball and slider) are CY YOUNG material.
He won the MVP of the World Baseball games this year, and every scout who's seen him says he's lights out. When it comes to pitchers they have this down to a science.

MatZilla
Schilling
Beckett
Papelborn

There's 89 wins right there!:ThmbUp:

headhawg
12-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Over $100 million for a guy who hasn't pitched an inning in the Major Leagues. I'd say that's stupid but it's not my money.

The Yankees, BoSox, and Cubbies have outrageous payrolls. None of them will win the World Series in 2007.

OTM Al
12-14-2006, 10:19 AM
Hmmmmm.....they said much the same about Hidecki Irabu.

I wouldn't be any more confident about that staff than the one the Yankees are throwing out there to tell the truth. Matsuzaka could be great, but he is still an unknown as far as MLB goes. One wonders just as with Randy Johnson how much gas Schilling has left in the tank. Papelbon looked good last year, but he's already had an arm related injury. Could be looking at another Kerry Wood/Mark Prior what might have been situation in a couple years. I don't care much for Beckett. Don't think he has a big game head...of course the Yanks got Pavano that year so the Sox at least got something out of that acquisition. Both of the staffs look really suspect to me this year. I think both teams better not spend all their time worrying about each other because the Blue Jays may just sneak by both of them.

cj
12-14-2006, 10:20 AM
MatZilla
Schilling
Beckett
Papelborn

There's 89 wins right there!:ThmbUp:

That is just ridiculous and shows the homer is coming out strong, not that there is anything wrong with that.

GaryG
12-14-2006, 12:06 PM
I guess this means the whining will be even more intense this year if they really expect to win...

BIG RED
12-14-2006, 01:19 PM
Two things.
I'm glad we signed him, and it really is not that much for his contract. He's locked in for awhile and if he produces, he will be far well below his worth, which will be a steal today.

2nd. We paid $50 mil. to his old team? Is this a new thing MLB has dreamed up to raise the ceiling even higher? I figured the team would get a % of his huge contract, just seams absurd to me.

Suff
12-14-2006, 01:23 PM
I guess this means the whining will be even more intense this year if they really expect to win...

You should have seen Tony Snow ( Prez'z Presss Secy-FYI) bantering with the National Press corp about Red Sox Nation & Matsuzaka during yesterdays press conference. It was on C-Span. I wish you could have seen it but you were probably busy watching Jerry Springer or Judge Judy re-runs.

JustRalph
12-14-2006, 04:06 PM
I watched some video of him last night. He seems kind of small to me?

where he gets the velocity I don't know. But will it last an entire season? how many games do they play in Japan in a full season?

Suff
12-14-2006, 04:34 PM

where he gets the velocity I don't know. But will it last an entire season? how many games do they play in Japan in a full season?

They say he's got maddux quality stuff with another 5 to 8 MPH. He is unimposing.

The Red Sox were aware that the Yankees have a head start on Converts with the fame of Godzilla. Matsui.

In the interest of National Security we needed a beach head of our own in Japan. They'll make much of the $100 Million back on Red Sox Merchandise sales in Japan. Its an expansion of our NATION.

bigmack
12-14-2006, 04:46 PM

He uses a lot of leg push
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UL7cb699f8

Gyroball (if you know tennis it looks like an Australian Serve)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdr0N9HDptg

Japanese pro ball season is 135-140 games

njcurveball
12-14-2006, 05:18 PM
The Red Sox are making a huge mistake putting Papelbon in the rotation. I could see the gamble before they got "Matzila", now it just seems stupid. Take a guy with 100 career innings and expect him to give you 250. Mix in his shoulder woes and you have a recipe for a lot of money in the stands.

Beckett was horrendous in the last 2 months and don't be surprised to see his ERA go over 5 fast and stay there all season.

And of course Schilling who is now 40 years old and could be a 6 inning wonder like Clemens is these days.

But who is going to pitch the 8th and 9th even if these guys do well? Papelbon isn't going deep in games, Schilling isn't, Beckett would be lucky to make the 8th two games in a row.

Turn over Matzilla's leads to Tavares and watch him blow them a few times. Boston may find themselves with a very expensive team watching the playoffs yet again.

Not to mention the biggest slap in the face for any team loyalty. That being kicking Trot Nixon to the curb and then giving JD Drew a ton of money to continue to be the underachieving Superstar who is overpaid thanks to his loud mothed agent.

89 wins for 4 starters (NOT HAPPENING), this team needs to stay injury free and get some big hits from the King of Big Hits, David Ortiz. Then they have a shot to get over 90 wins and be the Wild Card again.

Jim

GaryG
12-14-2006, 06:57 PM
You should have seen Tony Snow ( Prez'z Presss Secy-FYI) bantering with the National Press corp about Red Sox Nation & Matsuzaka during yesterdays press conference. It was on C-Span. I wish you could have seen it but you were probably busy watching Jerry Springer or Judge Judy re-runs.You must have had a bad experience with those guys from Deliverance....Hey Suff....you sure got a purty mouth...

Suff
12-14-2006, 07:51 PM
You must have had a bad experience with those guys from Deliverance....Hey Suff....you sure got a purty mouth...

:lol: Yea, you like it? I back it up to. Thats why back in the day when I got in the ring they used to call me the "Plymouth Rock!"

We're talking Baseball here, not coon hunting. National Pastime. You heard of it? Get with the program, this is AMERICA!

25 year old material may fly in Jed Clampett Country but not in Real America!

GaryG
12-15-2006, 09:38 AM
:lol: Yea, you like it? I back it up to. Thats why back in the day when I got in the ring they used to call me the "Plymouth Rock!"

We're talking Baseball here, not coon hunting. National Pastime. You heard of it? Get with the program, this is AMERICA!

25 year old material may fly in Jed Clampett Country but not in Real America!Look you bleeping fool I was talking about your red socks and you start in with Jerry Springer etc. You get with the program you punk.

Suff
12-15-2006, 10:48 AM
Look you bleeping fool I was talking about your red socks and you start in with Jerry Springer etc. You get with the program you punk.

Nope. You were being a smart ass (hole).