PDA

View Full Version : Dems Lose the Senate? This is sad......

JustRalph
12-13-2006, 05:30 PM
I hope this guy gets well. A stroke can be a terrible thing.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/12/13/D8M07D081.html

skate
12-13-2006, 06:02 PM
i believe a tie would happen if T J does not resign or pass.

that would be big for the committees

PlanB
12-13-2006, 06:17 PM
I hope this guy gets well. A stroke can be a terrible thing.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/12/13/D8M07D081.html

I agree with you JR 100%. Last year a guy who worked near me took a stroke. I think he was 58. I liked him & we would sometimes go for a quick lunch but I would always look forward to talking with him. The stroke was a carotid artery and his speech was terrible etc. He died maybe 4 months later. I am a total nut when it comes to stroke/heart issues, and all I can say is TAKE FISH OIL. DO NOT pay any attention to most doctors; keep the blood flowing & clean.

Overlay
12-13-2006, 06:20 PM
According to MSNBC, only a Senator's actual death or resignation would create a vacancy, or (in this case) shift the balance of power in the Senate:

"The Senate Historian's office cites several examples of a senator being incapacitated for years and remaining in office.

"Most recently, Sen. Karl Mundt (ironically, also from South Dakota) suffered a stroke in 1969 and was incapacitated, but he refused to step down. He remained in office until Jan. 1973 when his term expired. Mundt was pressured repeatedly to step down during his illness, but he demanded that the governor promise to appoint his wife. The governor refused, and Mundt remained in office.

"Another example was Sen. Carter Glass, D-VA. Sen. Glass had a heart condition that prevented him from working for most of his last term after his re-election in 1942. Yet Glass refused to resign, and finally passed away from congestive heart failure in his apartment at the Mayflower Hotel in Washington DC in May of 1946."

Secretariat
12-13-2006, 08:30 PM
It is now being reported it was neither a stroke or a heart attack, and he is doing fine now.

JustRalph
12-13-2006, 08:31 PM
that is good news. I saw the headline and immediately thought of Byrd.

andicap
12-14-2006, 12:07 AM
There's a Republican senator from Wyoming, Craig Thomas, who has been diagnosed with leukemia. Not sure how serious -- you can live for years with cancer these days. State has Democratic gov.