PDA

View Full Version : repairing an emachine software problems etc.

ljb
12-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Well this emachine is running slow as heck. Daughters machine. When starting I get this error message " GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.dll"
Also I can not get on internet using explorer. Mozilla works fine but even after Down loading and installing ie v.7 it will not connect. Daughter has dsl provided by sbcYahoo. They also had about 6 spyware programs on machine I un-installed all but two. Computer is still extremely slow in refreshing screen etc. I am about to run restore disk that came with machine. Any other suggestions ?

headhawg
12-13-2006, 01:54 PM
ljb,

Try this link for the potential fix: PSAPI.dll Fix (http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheProcedureEntryPointGetProcessImageFileNameWCoul dNotBeLocatedInTheDynamicLinkLibraryPSAPIDLLAfterI E7.aspx)

Not sure what you meant by "They also had about 6 spyware programs on machine I un-installed all but two." If you have spyware get rid of it. But do you mean that you had six different actual anti-spyware programs (software)?

HH

Tom
12-13-2006, 08:21 PM
Get rid of IE7 - it is garbage on many sytems. Typical MS.
I had very good luck with ewidow anti-spyware program. It finally cleaned up a machine that was hopeless for over a year.

http://securitytango.com/

is a good site, but follow all the steps. Every week.

robert99
12-14-2006, 06:56 AM
System Mechanics Pro is a very good program for automatically cleaning/ speeding up slow machines.
It may be that your temporary files etc have grown too large and need cleaning out - CrapCleaner (free) does this well.
Your firewall may need to be told to allow IE7 use.
Agree, Ewido is very good and so is A Squared (both have free versions) for cleaning out malware.

ljb
12-14-2006, 07:39 AM
Thanks guys.
Yes I meant 6 or 7 anti-spyware programs. She also had 3 or 4 firewalls on machine. Deleted all but 1. Ran spybot and adaware after deleting excessive protection programs. ie7 now works and machine does run at better speed. May go over and check machine again today. As it still may need some fine tuning. thanks again for the links etc. As for ie7, her and her husband both like it because it has tabs for individual home pages. I suggested bookmarking their individual home pages in Mozzila.