PDA

View Full Version : Cynthia Publishing fans

kitts
12-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Their chief handicapper, author, researcher and cleanup guy is scheduled to appear on Jeoprady December 18th. Everybody has been sworn to secrecy so I guess I'll have to watch to see what happens. You may remember Steve's earlier attenpts on the TV show "Greed" where he went for it all both times he was on.

andicap
12-13-2006, 01:29 PM
That's not Steve Unite, is it?

kitts
12-13-2006, 01:34 PM
'Tis indeed Steve Unite.........

andicap
12-13-2006, 01:58 PM
When did he (excuse the pun) re-unite with Cynthia Pub? I remember him bad-mouthing them all over the place about five years ago or so.

kitts
12-14-2006, 01:43 PM
I have never heard of Steve bad-mouthing Cynthia. I think whoever told you must be mistaken. Steve and I started the same year with Cynthia (1991) and I was in touch with him at HDW through 1997 and heard no negative thoughts or opinions. Since 1998 I have not been in daily contact with him but we did exchange emails and I did do beta testing under his direction (and the programmers.) I think whoever told you those negative remarks might need to improve his fact checking.

cj
12-14-2006, 01:56 PM
He didn't say anyone told him. He said he remembers it himself.

andicap
12-15-2006, 02:16 AM
Right you are CJ.

I will withdraw from this converstation because it's not really productive, but I do recall when Steve had his email newsletter after leaving Cynthia, there was definitely some bad blood there between him and the company, perhaps solely with the late Dick Mitchell. The sarcasm was there in black and white.

I always liked Steve even when I didn't agree with his handicapping ideas.
He's a very talented handicapper and I always respected his outspokeness.

FoxTrot
12-15-2006, 02:38 AM
Right you are CJ.

I will withdraw from this converstation because it's not really productive, but I do recall when Steve had his email newsletter after leaving Cynthia, there was definitely some bad blood there between him and the company, perhaps solely with the late Dick Mitchell. The sarcasm was there in black and white.

Deosn't sound like much a withdrawal as you continue your point after your withdraw. 'Not really productive' leading to a full retreat, all the while re-stating the point that lead to the retreat. Sounds fair to me.

rrbauer
12-15-2006, 11:07 AM
Right you are CJ.

With Steve the sarcasm is always there. Black and white and otherwise. He is a very small person in many ways.

Cesario!
12-18-2006, 11:57 PM
He did well -- played a great game. Controlled, calm, and (of course) smart. Brought home about $23,000 and is coming back tomorrow. Nice job!

PlanB
12-19-2006, 07:29 PM
Won tonight. He ran the category in sports, and said he is a tennis lover but no mention of horse racing yet? I assume he's a player? ps, again, he romped.

spilparc
12-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Won tonight. He ran the category in sports, and said he is a tennis lover but no mention of horse racing yet? I assume he's a player? ps, again, he romped.

I met Steve in about 1995 at a Dick Mitchell Tom Brohamer seminar. He listened to me complain about not being able to win, and told me how much he loved chaos races--they were his speciality.

I thought he was kind of dumb at the time. Little did I know. LOL

mudnturf
12-20-2006, 09:53 PM
When did he (excuse the pun) re-unite with Cynthia Pub? I remember him bad-mouthing them all over the place about five years ago or so.

Andy, Kitts
I called Steve Monday night after his initial appearance.
He had nothing but nice things to say about his relationship with Dick Mitchell.
Steve was always a gentleman when we had business dealings, and also when we did not.
Extremely bright, a bit sarcastic at times, with a great sense of humor.
I have a copy of his "Mastering Maidens" (I think that was the title) somewhere in my office, but I can't find it.
He won tonight (Wed.), and goes for the superfecta tomorrow.
I'll be rootin' for him.

Tom
12-20-2006, 10:06 PM
I am sure he is very happy tonight - he nailed $22K today, his third in a row, and will be back Thursday.

kingfin66
12-21-2006, 01:22 AM
I don't know Steve from Adam...have just read of him in one of Dick Mitchell's books that I own. All I know is the guy is rockin' on Jeopardy! The cool thing is that he can just keep going and going if he's good enough. No more 5 day champ limits.

timtam
12-21-2006, 09:40 AM
I'm sick of this guy already. I hope there will be more worthhy opponents

than those 2 ladies yesterday. I'd love to play against that ace and the

wonderful Hurricane.

andicap
12-21-2006, 12:48 PM
All my congrats to Steve.

kitts
12-21-2006, 01:07 PM
On the Wednesday Jeopardy there was a question regarding the rapper named "50 cents (fitty cents)" and Steve did not get the answer on that one. However he is now known as "60 K" after winning three shows in a row (and $60k)

Cesario!
12-21-2006, 01:52 PM
He's now exceeded my winnings on Millionaire -- and thus (for now) holds the title of "Champion Trivia Playing Horseplayer."

It's not a bad life...game shows and horses.

All congrats -- it's been fun to watch, and I hope he keeps winning.

Overlay
12-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Just wait 'til I get my turn! (Still hoping for that call from JEOPARDY! Three months left in the contestant pool.)

timtam
12-21-2006, 07:27 PM
Where do they find these contestants?

The guy has no clue about Honolulu then is down to 1600 and only bets

1000 on the next double jeopardy. You can tell he never went to the track.

Maybe Schwartzie can get him on track....

PlanB
12-21-2006, 07:34 PM
TimTam ... yeah you are right. BUT, Steve U. plays a sharp game. BUT, I hope he keeps winning, defeats meaner opponents, but WTF is that downing of Horse Racing about? Tennis, shut up. Stevie WonderBoy, oh how cute that fiction story was. Is it the green room talking. Last year, my boss, a super bitch, told me at the VERY last minute that I, Derek, HAD TO SHOW UP at a local NYC station to 'discuss' mergers. ok, I did, and what did I find, but a prepared script not the words exactly, but what did I REALLY WANT TO SAY. of course, I just said NOTHING, which suited me. ......... Okay, that StevieWonderboy story was censorship or not? is he ashamed of horse racing?

toetoe
12-21-2006, 09:16 PM
DDog,

I'm dying to meet a superbitch. Remember, when withdrawing from mergers, do better than andicap, or a littter of little plan-b-primes may soon be crawling about. :jump:

I'm green with envy, as Steve's pizzazz was considered sufficient to get him to the show. I never made it out of mock-play, sell-yourself, etc. :mad:

PlanB
12-21-2006, 09:28 PM
Oh ToeToe, you certainly have a way with words.

dylbert
12-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Steve Unite keeps chugging along! Great work, Stevie Wonderboy!

I've been Jeopardy! fan much longer than horses. He nailed first "Daily Double" (ironic twist for horseplayer) and never looked back. He "sprinted clear" in Baseball category -- but middle lady "angled out" in Double Jeopardy round "closed gap gamely". However, she "bid and hung" on last DD. She came back and "surged forward late", but Stevie Wonderboy "drew clear at the wire".

Keep up great work, SWB!

spilparc
12-22-2006, 09:27 PM
I saw every episode but one this week. He only missed one question that I saw, and one Final Jeopardy question when it diidn't matter.

As for tonight (Friday) why didn't his opponent bet it all on Final Jeopardy? I would have. Are you hoping he won't know the answer or won't bet enough? It turns out he bet just enough, be he already knew her tendency to underbet when she bet very small on the Double Jeopard questions.

Isn't betting it all the correct strategy?

(If you had only said Parks for the Final Jeopardy answer would that have counted?)

finfan
12-22-2006, 10:02 PM
(If you had only said Parks for the Final Jeopardy answer would that have counted?) Yes. Last name only is acceptable unless there is more than one person with that last name who could be considered a reasonable answer.

highnote
12-24-2006, 03:49 AM
I read in a CynPub junk mail (I mean promotional mail :D -- just kidding, folks) that Steve is 13th in all-time regular season earnings.

Way to go Steve!

I hired Steve to speak at a Breeders' Cup seminar we did in L.A. back in 1997. I always thought he was sharp. Looks like he really is. :ThmbUp:

Cesario!
12-25-2006, 08:12 PM
The run is over. It was fun to watch.

Best part of tonight was the eventual winner's huge daily double bets -- he played to give himself a shot to win...something the other contestants never did.

I do wish Steve had been a little prouder of his horse racing association -- it can be a respected profession if you treat it as such. He played it down so much during the time on the show and appeared so uncomfortable when talking about it with Trebek.

timtam
12-25-2006, 08:33 PM
I guess that means he lost . Good the competition was pretty pathetic

Being the only guy on the panel and gets Baseball Hall of Fame questions

is a total disgrace. They see the panel what an advantage running a

category. I'm not saying the guy isn't smart but to me clapping profusely

after he had the games locked just turned me off. And shying away from

the horseracing topic was another downer. Good luck to Steve in his

future endevors but I hope I don't see him on Wheel of Fortune next week.

The Judge
12-26-2006, 04:47 AM
I just stayed at the hotel buy luck went to the seminar,Steve, Dr. Z, Nick Mordin great line-up great seminar.

highnote
12-26-2006, 06:04 AM
I just stayed at the hotel buy luck went to the seminar,Steve, Dr. Z, Nick Mordin great line-up great seminar.

We must've met. Maybe I'd recognize you if I saw you. I hope it wasn't a waste of money! Sorry, no refunds!! :D

Nick and I produced the seminar. I was the one videotaping it.

One of the seminar attendees suggested that we should have tried to hire Bruno DeJulio. I wish I would have taken his advice. I read Bruno's book and it was excellent.

We had a morning clocker friend of Steve's instead. He was good and knew his stuff. But maybe Bruno would have been a better draw?

I'd love to do another one someday. But it's a hard sell. We lost money on the event -- just like Dick Mitchell predicted -- LOL.

Dick was nice enough to give us his mailing list for free! We didn't get one attendee from that list. We didn't get any attendees from our DRF ads either.

My wife found found potential attendees at the Belmont Stakes. She struck up a conversation with a foursome seated next to us and all 4 of them attended!

So my wife found 4 and you found us by chance. That says a lot about our sales strategy. :bang:

Regards,
John