PDA

View Full Version : Why I don't care about Louisiana.......

JustRalph
12-12-2006, 01:37 AM
Why I could give a damn about Louisiana. Katrina victims can scream all they want. I can't believe these people want to be taken seriously. First Ray Nagin gets re-elected and now this.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/12/09/louisiana.house.ap/

NEW ORLEANS — U.S. Rep. William Jefferson easily defeated a fellow Democrat in a runoff election Saturday, despite an ongoing federal bribery investigation.

delayjf
12-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Louisana has a long history of dirty politics. According to some friends of mine who have attempted to start businesses there - kickbacks and bribery are normal business practice in that state.

If they don't get him on bribery they could go after him for tax evasion, but will they??? :confused:

Ron
12-12-2006, 11:24 AM
New York just voted Alan Hevesi back into the State Comptroller's office and he's ripping us all off. He'll eventually get the boot but it was better than the alternative.

46zilzal
12-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Louisana has a long history of dirty politics. According to some friends of mine who have attempted to start businesses there - kickbacks and bribery are normal business practice in that state.

If they don't get him on bribery they could go after him for tax evasion, but will they???

Went to Evangeline and bet the rail horse at 6 furlongs who broke on top by 3/4 and NEVER looked back as it opened by 6 at one point. Was taken down for "phantom" interference and never made another wager there. CROOKED as the day is long.... Friends from Houston didn't like to go over there.

Read a book called Exacta Expose where a state gambling official uncovered race fixing at old Jefferson Downs....I would stay away from there.

Ron
12-12-2006, 11:41 AM
I think the Saints were cheating against the Cowboys the other night too. ;)

delayjf
12-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Naw, that was an old fashioned ass-whipping.

Another story - a friend of mine bought a house in New Orleans had two insect companies inspect and certify the house insect free. One month after closing eschrow he discovered 50,000 in termite damage. The companies who inspected the properties had no legal liability, I don't know about the previous owner. Great place to visit though.

Pace Cap'n
12-12-2006, 06:23 PM

If they don't get him on bribery they could go after him for tax evasion, but will they??? :confused:

The steps at the Louisiana state capitol need some repairs. So bids are
taken from carpenters from across the state.

First, a carpenter from Carencro looks it over. After a session of measuring
and manipulation of his calculator, he presents his bid. "I can do it for
$9,000", he says. "I'd need $4,000.00 for materials, $4,000.00 for my crew,
and $1,000.00 profit for me".

Next a redneck from Lafayette does his measuring and calculating, then says:
"I'll do it for $7,000.00. $3,000.00 for materials, $3,000.00 for my crew
and $1,000.00 profit for me."

Last, a Cajun from Breaux Bridge steps up. Without even looking at the job,
he says, "I'll do it for $27,000.00."

Surprised at how much higher the estimate is, the state employee taking the
bids asks him to explain his estimate. "Simple," he says, "$10,000 for me,
$10,000 for you, and we hire the guy from Lafayette."

dylbert
12-12-2006, 08:52 PM
Yes, Louisiana can't live down its less-than-stellar reputation. However, the actions of a few still create a bad image throughout region and nation.

I was disappointed when New Orleans re-elected Nagin; I was shocked when Jefferson won re-election, too. Jefferson situation creates havoc for Democrats who pounded Republicans about corrupt activities.

Louisiana continues to rebuild in aftermath of 2005 hurricanes. It has been catalyst for growth in Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Alexandria, and Shreveport as infrastructure shifted away from blighted New Orleans. Suburban New Orleans -- Metairie, Kenner, Jefferson Parish -- was less impacted by Katrina's destruction. Also, Florida Parishes -- northside of Lake Pontchartrain -- have absorbed over 65,000 evacuees from Orleans and St. Bernard Parishes.

Those of us who live and work here will continue to improve Louisiana. Hopefully, coming years will prove Louisiana can overcome these political, physical, and fiscal obstacles.

JustRalph
12-12-2006, 11:58 PM
dylbert...........good luck to you.

But, the next time you hear someone complain that the country doesn't care about LA, bring up these things and how they play in the "north" and throughout the halls of government. the same government that votes on funding etc. If I was asked, Not one damn dime of my tax money for LA. And that is the way many feel.

PaceAdvantage
12-13-2006, 01:58 AM
Isn't it odd how there were all these posts on off-topic about corrupt Republicans, but recent corrupt Democrats get ZERO mention from these same PROLIFIC posters?Odd....isn't it? I wonder if their PC keyboards are incapable of typing DEMOCRAT and CORRUPT in the same sentence....

JustRalph
12-13-2006, 11:35 AM
keyboards are incapable of typing DEMOCRAT and CORRUPT in the same sentence....

Funny, My keyboard has a shortcut key for that......... :lol:

delayjf
12-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Dylbert

From one Coon-ass to another, best of luck I hope all of Lousiana makes it back. It's worth saving.

Tom
12-13-2006, 08:44 PM
I have nothing against NO...as long as THEY pay for it. I see no earthly reason fo me to pay for them rebuild what will only be swallowed up again. Move inland.