PDA

View Full Version : California Drug Expose:OC Register Series

BlueShoe
12-11-2006, 09:26 PM
In a three part article that started with the Sunday edition,the Orange County Register is publishing a blistering attack on the lack of enforcement regarding drug detection and suspension of offenders in California horse racing.This is not back page stuff;it was the lead headline on the front page of the Sunday edition.Long article Sunday and Monday,last coming Tuesday.The paper claims to have done extensive investigation and research over a long period of time.The main theme seems to be accusing the California horse racing board of duplicity and conflict of interest.Charts and tables are presented that purports to show how lax California is in comparison with other states.
As a racing fan,have mixed feelings about this series.First,by bringing this out in the open,some progress may come of it.However,this is another black eye given to our sport,we sure dont need more bad publicity.The casual fan that reads this will become even more adverse to attending,and paranoia and charges of "fixes","stiffing",and "doping" will be flying.For those that wish to read the first two segments go to www.ocregister.com (http://www.ocregister.com/) and in the search box just enter horse racing,and then click on "Bad bets".

karlskorner
12-11-2006, 09:51 PM
As I said couple of years back, John Doe (Trainer or Owner) cannot buy these drugs by perscription or over the counter, who then ? Why it's Mr. Vet. Most owners don't know what the drug can do, some Trainers do, The Vet knows. Nail the guilty VET, bar him/her from the track for a long period of time, FORCE him/her to notify the Stewarts what he has injected into the horse and see how fast things change.

JPinMaryland
12-12-2006, 01:33 AM
Possibly the problem is so large that enforcing such measures would drive the sport into submission by running out of vets.

Niko
12-12-2006, 02:14 PM
"As a racing fan,have mixed feelings about this series.First,by bringing this out in the open,some progress may come of it.However,this is another black eye given to our sport,we sure dont need more bad publicity.The casual fan that reads this will become even more adverse to attending,and paranoia and charges of "fixes","stiffing",and "doping" will be flying.For those that wish to read the first two segments go to www.ocregister.com and in the search box just enter horse racing,and then click on "Bad bets"."

I think racing as had it's head in the sand too long trying to protect the image of the sport, which is why we're where we are.

I'd like to see about 20 more of these articles come out. Until it hits them in the pocketbook, nothing will change. You can talk about drugs, past posting etc all you want....it hasn't changed and won't until there's too much pressure. Ala baseball. Horseracing could still clean things up somewhat quietly by announcing their attentions to all beforehand. One or two barrings from racing for vets, trainers and even owners (there's not enough of them though, so I'd initially leave them alone) may be enough. I like the 10 year suspension the trainer received in Ontario.

Horseracing is just entering a time when the boomers have/are entering the preferred age and income categories to become prime horseplayers. Straighten it out before they've all found others ways to spend their money. Or is it too late?

rrbauer
12-12-2006, 02:49 PM
From the 3rd article:

"The story of L.B. Starlet is that of a horse ruined by drugs and an aspiring owner who unwittingly bought her on the night that she went into the starting gate with methamphetamine in her system.

The state has no mechanism in place to notify new owners that their horse failed a drug test the day it was purchased, and under the rules there is no recourse for what can turn out to be a bad investment."

Here's a link to the top level of "Bad Bets" to access all three articles plus the database.

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sections/news/investigations/horseracing/

cj
12-12-2006, 02:58 PM
I think this is absolutely great. You could wait a long time for a "racing journalist" to write about stuff like this.

rrbauer
12-12-2006, 03:05 PM
I think this is absolutely great. You could wait a long time for a "racing journalist" to write about stuff like this.

Comment:
One of the bylines is credited to Tony Saavedra....I've emailed him to find out if he is the trainer of the same name.

rrbauer
12-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Comment:
One of the bylines is credited to Tony Saavedra....I've emailed him to find out if he is the trainer of the same name.

Response to my email reveals that journalist and trainer with same name are two different people.

rrbauer
12-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Barry Irwin (Manager/Founder of Team Valor Syndicates)
"Our leaders must come to the realization that unless integrity is made the number one priority, the sport is doomed."

http://opinions.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=36701

cj
12-12-2006, 06:04 PM
A little hypocritical of Mr. Irwin as I mentioned in another thread.

Niko
12-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Maybe hypocrital but if you can't be compete without joining, and it's "almost encouraged" I won't judge too harshly. Maybe he's someone who wants to turn the game around and participate on even grounds.

I LOVE the article, if only!!!!!

rrbauer
12-13-2006, 03:32 PM
A little tidbit that I picked up from the Blood Horse coverage of the story.

"Meanwhile, tens of thousands of urine and blood samples collected from horses that have raced in California over the past several years have never been tested, according to the report. California tested nearly 5,000 fewer horses in the last fiscal year compared with 2003, and the CHRB spent less on testing in 2005 than it did in each of the previous five years."