PDA

View Full Version : NFL - After most of Week 14

ponyplayerdotca
12-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Monday nighter still to come: CHI. at St.L.

AFC

S.D. - Facets of all three teams (Off., Def., Spec.) are rolling. Should be #1 seed.

IND. - Slipping and slipping fast. To me, in all honesty, they look like they quit after that KO return TD to start the 2nd half. May not even get a bye week now. Too many questions without answers. Over 300 yards rushing forfeited too. Yikes!

BALT. - When they're good, they're solid. But they can also look very ordinary when that meagre offense fails to show up. Could take #2 away from Colts down the stretch.

N.E. - Shutout? Almost lost to DET. in Foxboro? Without Rodney Harrison on defense, they seem less than adequate. And their offense has been making bundles of errors the last month. Division title seems like a hollow crown. They won't win a playoff game playing like that. Both Cincy and Jacksonville are more capable right now.

CIN. - Not assured of a wildcard spot, but playing the hottest football outside of San Diego right now. Odd how it was the loss vs. the Chargers that started their win streak. Obvious first round upsetter if they get in.

JACK. - Of the remaining teams still in contention, the Jags have a great team chemistry and are well coached. Not sure they will get in, but if they do, could upset any one of the division winners on wild card weekend (despite their weaker play on the road most games). How huge are those 2 losses to Houston now though? Could have won the division otherwise.

Others who looked bad but are still alive: NYJ., K.C., DEN. - everyone else needs a lot of help.

NFC

CHI. - Play tonight (should win?). If so, a 2-game lead with 3 games left should see them hold on to the #1 seed. Gotta get that QB position figured out over these next 4 games though. Rest of team is solid.

N.O. - Last night, the Saints demonstrated an overall dominance that I have seen this season. They certainly brought the Cowboys back down to earth by throttling them in front of their Dallas fans and a national TV audience. That onside kick was a nice touch too. Weapons galore, and they resembled the Chargers alot during that game too. Wow.

SEA. - Seahawks sure do look ordinary on the road, don't they? And with both QB and RB in the lineup, that excuse of why they haven't been as good is gone. Their D is awful some games, and yesterday was one of them. They won't have home field throughout this time around. Get them away from Qwest and put them to the test. Still a viable threat to any team in the post season though.

DAL. - Thud! The Tony Romo love-in can take a short breather now I hope. Not that the loss was much in the way of "his fault". The Cowboys looked more like the team that lost to the Giants on that Monday nighter than the streaking "best team in the NFC" I've heard for a month now. Now, they're in a dogfight for the division itself again, only one game up on NYG. and PHIL. After that showing last night, they don't scare anyone anymore. Good team, but overrated.

NYG. - Good win over another overrated pretender in Carolina. But they still aren't out of the woods yet. They have the inside track to a wildcard at the moment, but this week's game vs. Philly puts that up for grabs too. Lots can still happen in the wildcard zone.

PHIL. - Almost coughed up a 15-pt. lead in WASH. yesterday, but managed to hold on for win. Showdown vs. the G-men next week is their season, it would seem. Garcia stable and team rallying around him.

ATL. - So-so win over a bad Bucs team who've given up. Hosting the Cowboys this Saturday night. They have to be encouraged after seeing what the Saints did to Big D last night. No room for error with the Eagles/Giants ahead of them on tiebreakers.

These teams still have a chance, but aren't really contenders: MIN., CAR. - everyone else is in trouble.

(update CHI. and St.L. tomorrow)

Valuist
12-11-2006, 01:13 PM
So who is the 2nd best team in the AFC now? Right now, I'd lean toward Cincinnati. Not that beating Oakland at home is any big deal, but they spanked Baltimore a week before that; could've easily shut them out. There's never been any question about the Bengals offensively; just the defense. And despite the excellent defensive play, it has to be viewed in terms of the offenses they've faced: Oakland, Baltimore and Cleveland are all weak offensive teams. The last time a good offensive team faced the Bengals, the Chargers almost put up 50 on them.

Who's second in the NFC? This is another tough one; Seattle could've been there but losing to Arizona? Dallas was clearly 2nd BEFORE Sunday night's game. Maybe it was a one-game abberation but the Saints really made them look bad. Obviously, the other choice would be New Orleans, although I don't really trust their defense.

Here would be my top 5 BEFORE Monday night's game:

1. San Diego
2. Chicago
3. Cincinnati
4. Baltimore
5. Jacksonville

just missing:Indy, New England, New Orleans, Dallas, Seattle

too late to the party but realistically playing as well as anyone: Miami, Buffalo
and Tennessee

boomman
12-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Pony wrote: (Monday nighter still to come: CHI. at St.L.)

AFC

S.D. - Facets of all three teams (Off., Def., Spec.) are rolling. Should be #1 seed. MERRIMAN AND CASTILLO MAKE SUCH A DIFFERENCE ON THAT TEAM ON THE "D" SIDE IT'S UNBELIEVABLE!! ONLY THING THEY HAVE TO FEAR IS A SHAKY PLAY-OFF COACH, AND A SHAKIER KICKER WHO CAN BE VERY INCONSISTENT IN "CRUNCH TIME"

IND. - Slipping and slipping fast. To me, in all honesty, they look like they quit after that KO return TD to start the 2nd half. May not even get a bye week now. Too many questions without answers. Over 300 yards rushing forfeited too. Yikes! HECK WITH SLIPPING, THEY'RE GONE!! 375 yards on the ground to JAX? I could see this coming from a mile away, in fact already moved JAX up to 4th on my ranking last week on PA and made a big bet (for me) on Jaguars this week. Indy run "D" reminds me of KC run "D" 2 years ago-can't tackle anybody!!

BALT. - When they're good, they're solid. But they can also look very ordinary when that meagre offense fails to show up. Could take #2 away from Colts down the stretch. DEFINITELY BETTER THAN INDY, BEAT KC SOUNDLY-1st team to win at Arrowhead in Dec since 1996!!

N.E. - Shutout? Almost lost to DET. in Foxboro? Without Rodney Harrison on defense, they seem less than adequate. And their offense has been making bundles of errors the last month. Division title seems like a hollow crown. They won't win a playoff game playing like that. Both Cincy and Jacksonville are more capable right now. cincy and jax BOTH much better, loss of Harrison AND Seau KILLED THEM!!!

CIN. - Not assured of a wildcard spot, but playing the hottest football outside of San Diego right now. Odd how it was the loss vs. the Chargers that started their win streak. Obvious first round upsetter if they get in. THEY WILL GET IN AND THEY ARE THE PITT OF LAST YEAR, I CAN ASSURE YOU NOBODY WANTS THEM IN THE 1ST ROUND!!

JACK. - Of the remaining teams still in contention, the Jags have a great team chemistry and are well coached. Not sure they will get in, but if they do, could upset any one of the division winners on wild card weekend (despite their weaker play on the road most games). How huge are those 2 losses to Houston now though? Could have won the division otherwise. THEY HAVE A TOUGH ROAD AHEAD OF THEM TO GET IN AND KC MAY PLAY SPOILER TO THEM the last game of the season, (especially given the fact that KC fans HATE Del Rio from when he was a player in KC toting a shotgun on a pick-up truck during the strike) They ran him out of town on a rail...Jax has really looked solid last 2 weeks, coming into their own if they didn't make the move too late

Others who looked bad but are still alive: NYJ.,(Jets looked horrible against Buffalo, knew they were overachieving up to that point and they proved it) K.C., KC still has outside shot, especially if SD decides to take it easy now that LT has broken record and they have won the division, but sure Marty is talking #1 seed) DEN. will be better longterm with Cutler, but not quite yet)- everyone else needs a lot of help.

NFC

CHI. - Play tonight (should win?). If so, a 2-game lead with 3 games left should see them hold on to the #1 seed. Gotta get that QB position figured out over these next 4 games though. Rest of team is solid. THE WORD ON THE STREET IS GROSSMAN HAS ONE MORE HALF TO PICK-IT UP THEN HE'S GONE-SINCE I DON'T THINK HE WILL IMPROVE, GRIESE COMES IN 2nD HALF TONITE AND LEADS EM ALL THE WAY TO BIG DANCE

N.O. - Last night, the Saints demonstrated an overall dominance that I have seen this season. They certainly brought the Cowboys back down to earth by throttling them in front of their Dallas fans and a national TV audience. That onside kick was a nice touch too. Weapons galore, and they resembled the Chargers alot during that game too. Wow. I THINK THE SAINTS ACTUALLY RESEMBLE CINCY IN A LOT OF WAYS; LITERALLY A TON OF WEAPONS AND A SOLID QB, WITH A DEFENSE THAT IS STARTING TO COME AROUND

SEA. - Seahawks sure do look ordinary on the road, don't they? And with both QB and RB in the lineup, that excuse of why they haven't been as good is gone. Their D is awful some games, and yesterday was one of them. They won't have home field throughout this time around. Get them away from Qwest and put them to the test. Still a viable threat to any team in the post season though. VIABLE AT HOME, ALSO-RAN ON ROAD

DAL. - Thud! The Tony Romo love-in can take a short breather now I hope. Not that the loss was much in the way of "his fault". The Cowboys looked more like the team that lost to the Giants on that Monday nighter than the streaking "best team in the NFC" I've heard for a month now. Now, they're in a dogfight for the division itself again, only one game up on NYG. and PHIL. After that showing last night, they don't scare anyone anymore. Good team, but overrated. 100% RIGHT ON THE BUTTON

NYG. - Good win over another overrated pretender in Carolina. But they still aren't out of the woods yet. They have the inside track to a wildcard at the moment, but this week's game vs. Philly puts that up for grabs too. Lots can still happen in the wildcard zone. ANOTHER TEAM DEPENDENT ON AN OVERRATED QB-IF HE DOESN'T MAKE MISTAKES THEY MAKE IT-BUT THAT'S A BIG IF

PHIL. - Almost coughed up a 15-pt. lead in WASH. yesterday, but managed to hold on for win. Showdown vs. the G-men next week is their season, it would seem. Garcia stable and team rallying around him. GARCIA PLAYING LIKE HE DID IN SF, DIDN'T THINK HE HAD THIS MUCH LEFT IN THE TANK-GAMBLING SECONDARY NEARLY COST THEM THE GAME, DEF COORDINATOR JOHNSON HAS TO DIAL IT DOWN A BIT

ATL. - So-so win over a bad Bucs team who've given up. Hosting the Cowboys this Saturday night. They have to be encouraged after seeing what the Saints did to Big D last night. No room for error with the Eagles/Giants ahead of them on tiebreakers. I ACTUALLY DISAGREE THAT BUCS HAVE GIVEN UP, NO TALENT DUE TO LACK OF DRAFT CHOICES IN GRUDEN DEAL, TONS OF INJURIES AND AGING PLAYERS ON DEFENSE-ATL WASN'T THAT IMPRESSIVE, BUT THEY HAVE BEEN HANGING IN (BARELY) OF LATE

These teams still have a chance, but aren't really contenders: MIN., CAR. - everyone else is in trouble. CAROLINA DOESN'T HAVE MUCH CHANCE WITH DELHOMME, WHO MAKES A LOT OF MISTAKES BUT IS A LEADER, NO CHANCE WITH WEINKE

ponyplayerdotca
12-12-2006, 01:30 PM
BEARS 42 RAMS 27

Grossman was shaky early. Pass to Berrian was lucky - that gets picked by a better corner. Pass to Muhammad was sweet - that's more like it.

I'm not so sure Rex got all his problems corrected last night, but his 3rd down scamper early on was a new wrinkle. Most importantly, no turnovers.

(Note: not sure that "arm moving forward" call was correct in the sense that even though it was, the ball went backwards. I thought that any pass backwards is a lateral and a live ball? Maybe the rule is different when a QB is hit in the act of throwing, intention to throw forward not backward?)

Anyway....Jones and Benson (and even Peterson) were solid in the running game. Muhammad's catch was solid. Hester's two TD returns were amazing.

Defense was too generous to a bad team. Arizona found a way to shut down the Rams just a week before. They were able to hold them off in the 3rd long enough to build the big lead. But if Tillman doesn't pick that ball off with a minute left, the Rams would have been within 8 pts. with over a minute to play. They lost focus late and got away with it. Gotta tighten that up for the playoffs, if they can.

Can't fall behind to good teams twice like they did either. Hester isn't going to keep running back KOs for TDs. They won by two touchdowns - guess which two they were? Game would have been much tougher without those two electrifying scores.

The good news is that the entire team looked loose. They were playing free and easy and letting it all hang out. They have to keep that swagger in the playoffs and not fall prey to the pressure of "one and done" talk.

The BEARS got the train back on the tracks last night. Gotta thump the Bucs next and clinch that #1 spot. :ThmbUp:

andicap
12-15-2006, 02:36 AM
Bears badly miss Mike Brown.

BetHorses!
12-15-2006, 08:12 AM
Here would be my top 5 BEFORE Monday night's game:

1. San Diego
2. Chicago
3. Cincinnati
4. Baltimore
5. Jacksonville

just missing:Indy, New England, New Orleans, Dallas, Seattle

too late to the party but realistically playing as well as anyone: Miami, Buffalo
and Tennessee

Buffalo had one brutal schedule as well...wow

My top 5 are:

1. San Diego
2. Chicago
3. Baltimore
4. Indy
5. Cinci/New England --tie

New Orleans is second best right now in NFC...no doubt

boomman
12-15-2006, 09:38 AM
Bet: No way I use Indy in top 5 with that run defense! I told a buddy of mine that Indy would allow JAX 400 yards on the ground...I was wrong as they only allowed 375 yards!! LOL

Bet wrote: My top 5 are:

1. San Diego
2. Chicago
3. Baltimore
4. Indy
5. Cinci/New England --tie

Boom's top 5 are:
1) SD
2) Chicago
3) Baltimore
4) Cinci
5) NO

Valuist
12-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Seattle looked like a team that didn't care in the 4th quarter. Holmgren better watch it; he almost was fired after the 2004 season. What I saw in that 4th quarter was a team that laid down and quit. There were about 5 plays that really looked like they didn't care. Obviously that bootleg by Smith was the worst. Collingsworth made the comment he'd never seen that much open space before. Probably true but you rarely see a NFL team quit that badly. I suspect Paul Allen will have a closed door meeting w/Holmgren. That was an embarrassment.