PDA

View Full Version : Things you see at the track

ridersup
10-21-2002, 08:28 AM
I thought I had seen it all over the last 15 years of attending races on a regular basis that is till last Sunday.

I was in the club house at Tampa Bay Downs sitting at one of their individual TV's. The fellow just in front of me was an excitable type and did a lot of yelling and leaning forward with his horse on the lead as if to nudge him along.

On one particular race he had the two lead horses on the lead nearing the finnish line with a gap of about 4lengths to a group of 3 or 4 horses.

As the group of 3 or 4 horses looked like they were making a move on his two exacta horses he really got excited. Then he did something I've never seen before. He put his finger on the TV screen right in front of the approaching horses in an attempt to hold them back. It was hilarious. He was on his feet, yelling, gyrating, and using his finger to block the horses. And you know what, it worked. That guy earned his money.

Dave Schwartz
10-21-2002, 12:10 PM
Ridersup,

LOL

Look for his soon-to-be released book, "FingerCapping: More exact than "Hand-iCapping."

Dave

JimG
10-21-2002, 12:22 PM
Ridersup,

Enjoyed the story. Actually I have seen the "finger" technique used before by a friend of mine at the dog track. He wasn't a nut...he knew it wouldn't hold the closing dog back but he had fun with it.

Jim

gillenr
10-21-2002, 01:30 PM
What's his technique if he has a closer??????

JimG
10-21-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by gillenr
What's his technique if he has a closer??????

Why that's easy...a finger over the early speed dog in the stretch to slow it down and give his closer time.

Jim

freeneasy
10-21-2002, 02:21 PM
yeah, and what if one of the closers tripped over his finger, I guess they'd have to disqualify his horse for "bettors interference" during the stretch run. And not only that, if the closers get to within a half finger of his lead horse theres a chance he may even trip up his lead horse, and then what a mess he'l be in. I dont know,he might be a little safer just sticking the horse in the butt with the ol' hatpin. Works every time.

ranchwest
10-21-2002, 02:37 PM
There's never a need to fear having your horse lose with the new "AccuFinger". AccuFinger allows precise monitor adjustments that ensure victory for your runner. Available now for 4 easy installments of only $19.99. S&H $22.95.

Dave Schwartz
10-21-2002, 04:06 PM
RW,

Just curious... Which finger would this be based upon? <G>

Dave

ranchwest
10-21-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
RW,

Dave

That depends upon which horse is in front, yours or not yours.

Tom
10-21-2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
RW,

Dave
I have done this on the TC screen before.
I have a special finger I reserve for use on jockeys.

JustRalph
10-21-2002, 06:47 PM
I use my mouse pointer on Youbet video......

Boris
10-23-2002, 09:56 AM
Much like Bill Murray asking in Stripes "Who didn't cry when they shot Old Yeller?", I'll ask "Who hasn't used their mouse pointer in whip a horse in the stretch?"

NOBODY USES THEIR MOUSE POINTER TO WHIP A HORSE IN THE STRETCH?!?!?

Yeah, I thought so.

smf
10-23-2002, 11:29 AM
When I'm at the track, I don't say nuthin.

At home, I yell at my horse coming in. Just last week I was yelling a runner home and he quit. Damn horse was a Chilean-bred. Guess he didn't understand English.

ranchwest
10-23-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by smf
When I'm at the track, I don't say nuthin.

At home, I yell at my horse coming in. Just last week I was yelling a runner home and he quit. Damn horse was a Chilean-bred. Guess he didn't understand English.

That's funny.

Sometimes my dog looks at me kinda strange.

GR1@HTR
10-24-2002, 08:54 AM
Think I might have to break down and purchase a Rally Monkey for deep one run closers and turf racing...