PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence The Roman

Stevie Belmont
12-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Dutrows New York Bred look extra sharp in winning the Damon Runyon today. (Son of Point Given) Liked the way he did it. I would think they are thinking of an open company stakes for him next time. Look foward to it. There is some potential here.

classhandicapper
12-11-2006, 08:45 AM
He beat a weak field considering a couple of horses that had shown some ability didn't run well, but I'd have to think he's going to keep developing into a good one.

the little guy
12-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Hard to imagine Dutrow " developing " a horse.

I'm a BIG seller of this horse.

classhandicapper
12-11-2006, 12:19 PM
He will probably be very overrated off that effort, but I wouldn't mind owning him. I just wouldn't buy him. ;)

PlanB
12-11-2006, 07:55 PM

LOL. The 'cutting remark' gone prime time. E = mc(squared)

bigmack
12-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Decent run and he's beating ok talent but let's say hypothetically they would have named him Larry the Roman. It just doesn't have that "regal" ring to it.

Larry of Arabia? No sir.

First Time Blinks
12-11-2006, 09:20 PM

Improve yes, develop no. He tends to get what #'s he can get from them early on. As others have pointed out, Lawrence got loose in a pretty crappy field, running more slowly thru 4F & 6F calls than 12k claimers did earlier on in the card.

Stevie Belmont
12-11-2006, 11:30 PM
I don't worry about what other horses did earlier. Comparing apples to oranges. He did not work that hard and galloped out nicely with his head up. He is a big colt. Im just saying he has some potential, and bit more than a 12k claimer. At this point anyway.

Shacopate
12-12-2006, 04:53 AM
A visually impressive race.

1. Easily established position from an outside post.
2. Toyed with them on the backstretch. Smith knew what he had here.
3. Easliy drew away when asked.

Dominated early and late.

classhandicapper
12-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Improve yes, develop no. He tends to get what #'s he can get from them early on. As others have pointed out, Lawrence got loose in a pretty crappy field, running more slowly thru 4F & 6F calls than 12k claimers did earlier on in the card.

When I used the word "develop", I was implying further improvement.

the little guy
12-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Didn't this horse get loose on a track that was extremely kind to horses on the rail? Doesn't he have a trainer who has had more than his share of " flashes in the pan " that run a perceived big race only to be followed by some combination of disaster and layoff?

I'll pass on this next best good thing.

Bruddah
12-12-2006, 10:44 AM
TLG says it best. Those thoughts which occured to me, when I first started reading this thread. For now, I will take a pass and keep my money, in my pocket.

These same intuitive/instinctive feelings told me, the Green Monkey would be a sure bet against, if he ever raced.

classhandicapper
12-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Didn't this horse get loose on a track that was extremely kind to horses on the rail? Doesn't he have a trainer who has had more than his share of " flashes in the pan " that run a perceived big race only to be followed by some combination of disaster and layoff?

It was a bias and trip aided effort against weak competition (weak even for statebred 2YOs), but the prior efforts weren't bad either considering he wasn't very good out of the gate either day. Not that I have much of an opinion on pedigree, but this is also a Point Given and not some early developing sprint pedigree.

He's likely to be overrated by people that simply look at his big wins, but he improved in his 2nd start over his first start and he probably was even better this time even though it will be tough to quantify because of the bias and trip.

I doubt we are looking at a serious Grade 1 open company prospect, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't wind up being a top statebred. I'm going to review all of Dutrow's hot 2YO prospects to see if any continued to move forward into their 3YO campaign.

Stevie Belmont
12-12-2006, 02:28 PM
What about Johannesburg Star on Saturday. Turned back the challenge of the Point Blake and kept going strongly. That was a nice effort in pulling away. Will see what happens next.