PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: better scratch information

Robert Fischer
12-10-2006, 12:50 PM
7th Race (http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant.cgi?type=inp&country=USA&track=CRC&date=2006-12-10&src=(null)&race=7) - Calder Race Course
CLAIMING. 6 Furlongs Dirt. Purse $13,000
2. Calm And Collected 2/1 Rafael Bejarano Norman R. Pointer
scractch info:
Calm and Collected4Dec06 CRC9AOC 24500 NW1 Veterinarian

Scratch info -

so in the example here , Calm and Collected was entered 4 days ago in an allowance , and was scratched by the Vet...

I take this to mean the track's vet, as opposed to the trainer's vet.
Now a little more information on this would be nice!. Was the horse lame?? any physical injury??? or was the old hoss running a slight temp?
What other factors could possibly draw a vet scratch?????????

Where can i find this information??

study-
How many times does a horse drop in class out of soundness issues, get a vet scratch for a SPECIFIC ailment or injury and lose at at low odds??? Could be profitable information to follow.

any answers appreciated

BillW
12-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Have you contacted the CRC racing office? They may be able to help.

thoroughbred
12-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Excellent Suggestion.

Robert Fischer
12-10-2006, 01:44 PM
Have you contacted the CRC racing office? They may be able to help.

Calm and Collected was scratched again today.

I spoke with the stewards section of the racing office. They can not disclose any specific information related to scratches or veterinarian scratches. The secretary did mention that veterinarian scratches can be from a track vet or a trainer's vet.

Hosshead
12-12-2006, 03:45 PM
I don't know about CRC, but at SA the "Vets List" used to be posted on the wall in the Racing Secy's Office (under glass). It's (many pages) goes back quite some time, horses in alphabetical order along with date/reason for scratch, and was a mile long.

Suff
12-12-2006, 04:21 PM
The track veternarian visits every horse entered that day. Starting with the Horse's that trainers have called in as scratched to the racing office that morning
Now this is what I seen at Suffolk Downs. I'm sure it has variations.

When a trainer scratches , the track wants to insure its a valid reason. Such as a tempature or a cough or other ailment the track can verify. Its a quality control measure on valid entries. Rather than scratching after a trainer see's who he's drawn in against.

The Track Vet then visits each barn with an entry. The horse is run to the end of the shedrow and back. The Vet gives it a good once over. At this point in the day it may be that the only person who has seen the horse is a $400 dollar a week groom who has no authority or autonomy to scratch a horse. Maybe the horse is washed out, or whatever??

Remember, Most tracks have essentially the same stock, so these horses are not strangers to track vets....or in Suffolk Downs case, State Vets, because they are employees of the state police/racing commission. So they know the history of the stock and what ails them. Frequently a trained eye or even a moderately trained eye can see clearly the horse is sore. They can see it in thier gate/gallop/walk.

Speaking for myself, I know it was a surprise to me to learn that each and every horse gets a quick once over from an independent vet on race day.

Things obviously can change.......Hence gate scratches by track vets as well.

JimG
12-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Not only better scratch information, but why do most track websites put scratches several layers (menus) deep on their website. Another small example for making things more difficult than necessary for the horseplayer.

thoroughbred
12-12-2006, 08:58 PM
The track veternarian visits every horse entered that day. Starting with the Horse's that trainers have called in as scratched to the racing office that morning
Now this is what I seen at Suffolk Downs. I'm sure it has variations.

When a trainer scratches , the track wants to insure its a valid reason. Such as a tempature or a cough or other ailment the track can verify. Its a quality control measure on valid entries. Rather than scratching after a trainer see's who he's drawn in against.

The Track Vet then visits each barn with an entry. The horse is run to the end of the shedrow and back. The Vet gives it a good once over. At this point in the day it may be that the only person who has seen the horse is a $400 dollar a week groom who has no authority or autonomy to scratch a horse. Maybe the horse is washed out, or whatever??

Remember, Most tracks have essentially the same stock, so these horses are not strangers to track vets....or in Suffolk Downs case, State Vets, because they are employees of the state police/racing commission. So they know the history of the stock and what ails them. Frequently a trained eye or even a moderately trained eye can see clearly the horse is sore. They can see it in thier gate/gallop/walk.

Speaking for myself, I know it was a surprise to me to learn that each and every horse gets a quick once over from an independent vet on race day.

Things obviously can change.......Hence gate scratches by track vets as well.

Interesting and informative. BUT, the theme of this thread is why don't we get information as to WHY the scratch happened.

Suff
12-12-2006, 10:15 PM
Interesting and informative. BUT, the theme of this thread is why don't we get information as to WHY the scratch happened.

I was adding to the dialogue by providing a foundation for how the process is conducted. I was'nt trying to divert the thread. My apologies if it did, or would.

It does paint the picture for why a Trainer would not want the scratch reason listed.

He could be trying to get the horse claimed, and if the reason it was scratched was diclosed it may make a claim less likely.

He could be trying to NOT get the horse claimed and would rather the general public NOT KNOW its a minor issue such as a cough.

He may not want it disclosed the one or more of his horses has a cough , as that might prevent him from getting new horses, if new owners hear his barn is sick.

He may have billed the owner for 4 days of anti biotics just last week and does'nt want to explain why the horse is still sick and not ready for a race.

State/track Vets may not want to release why they scratched a horse because it would make trainers less likely to be candid with a situation they have with a horse.
Part of the reason I outlined what the scratch process involved was the hope that someone might expand on it in such a way that address's the theme more directly.

Ron
12-12-2006, 11:08 PM
The public is wagering on these horses, do they deserve to know every single bit of information...or just as much as everyone else? Is there someone out there that knows all the scratch information that is doing what we do?

Robert Fischer
12-13-2006, 07:44 AM
Is there someone out there that knows all the scratch information that is doing what we do?

I wouldn't mind a little small talk with a few of the track vets now and then...

Suff
12-14-2006, 02:25 PM
look at this poor bastard. Spring is here, Scracthed today from the 3rd at NY. Two weeks ago by the VET, and time before that by the stewards.

Whatkinda shape yuo think he's in. Trainer has all of 13 starts in 2006

kenwoodallpromos
12-14-2006, 04:34 PM
look at this poor bastard. Spring is here, Scracthed today from the 3rd at NY. Two weeks ago by the VET, and time before that by the stewards.

Whatkinda shape yuo think he's in. Trainer has all of 13 starts in 2006
!st start was for Johnson, Kaenel riding, stumbles out of the gate but was claimed, Aquilano(?) took 6 months to fix whatever was wrong with the horse's legs, got it to win, claimed back by Johnson, now scratched twice.
I never heard of either trainer, but I know Kaenel from riding at BM; Kaenel did not cause the horse to stumble.
IMHO Johnson relies on other trainers to train them properly, then claims them- Johnson has a $3.30+ short layoff angle.