PDA

View Full Version : Calibration Handicapping

GR1@HTR
06-20-2001, 11:50 AM
Just picked up a copy from GBC yesterday. Cool store....Anybody having success using the WIR, SRE, Golden 1/8th and other spot plays in this book?

karlskorner
06-20-2001, 12:26 PM
GR1

Just finished an e-mail to Jim Lehane regarding "key races", a subject he covers lightly in his book, but something I have done very well with.

He just restarted his weekly newletter and I am quite sure he will add you to the list. www.pickwick@msn.

His newsletters are very informative and he explains the different methods he uses. I have read the book twice and belive it works.

When you write him ask him for his web page where he has an additional chapter to the book that you can download and print. It is called "Internal Fraction Advantages" , if you just bought the book in may be included Also when he gives you that web page go to the archives, there you find all the newsletter he has published, some good stuff.

Karl

andicap
06-20-2001, 09:58 PM
Jerry Stokes also uses the WIR, FDK, Profile and other longshot patterns in his book and on his site, www.a1handicapping.com.
He sells software that tells you when those patterns are in this race...

GR1@HTR
06-21-2001, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the info. I had A1 handicapping book but returned it due to dissatisfaction. With no offense to the author, Calibration book much better written. Anybody know if Stokes Software highlight these spot plays?

GR1@HTR
06-21-2001, 11:33 AM
Duh, andicap answered my about Stokes SW.

andicap
06-21-2001, 11:38 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by karlskorner
[B]GR1

Just finished an e-mail to Jim Lehane regarding "key races", a subject he covers lightly in his book, but something I have done very well with.

He just restarted his weekly newletter and I am quite sure he will add you to the list. www.pickwick@msn.

-----------
Karl, is that his email (pickwick@msn.com?)
I think his new url is www.free-horseracing-info.com

Anyone ever figure out how he flamed out so badly once he started charging for his picks last fall?

andicap

Lefty
06-21-2001, 12:18 PM
andicap, my guess would be strictly from the "pressure"
Used to have a friend, a great handicapper, and he would share his picks. Then some of his bar buddies started giving him money to bet his picks and he would
share their profits. He bombed big time. The "pressure"
was too much.

andicap
06-21-2001, 01:03 PM
I could see that...I think everyone's picking is much better when you dont' have the money in your hand going up to the window...

To that end,,,I wonder if people do better with their online or phone accounts without the pressure of actually holding the cash...it's mental I know, but that part of the game is such a mystery.

andicap..

karlskorner
06-21-2001, 01:52 PM
Andicap;

The pickwick site I am quite sure is his e-mail address. The site you show puts you on some articles he wrote and some razzle dazzle about his book. I would think if you want to get his newsletter better use the pickwidk site and request to be put on the list. The newsletter is interesting reading.

Isn't it amazing that after he decided to go for "pay for view" he bombed out. I would never, could never, will never carry somebody's wager to the track. Pressure.

Karl

Tom
06-22-2001, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by andicap
[QUOTE]Originally posted by karlskorner
[B]GR1

-----------
Anyone ever figure out how he flamed out so badly once he started charging for his picks last fall?

andicap

I think he failed to adapt his handicapping to the track change-hewas on fire at Belmont, but wehn Aqueduct came along, the improtant factors were no longer the last fraction and pace to the extend that late pace was not very effective. I have been downloading his picks since Bel opened, but I haven't really looked at them to how he is doing-i suspect he will do well at Bel and on turf.
Tom

CapperLou
11-10-2002, 03:34 PM
Need help with Jerry Stokes software you mentioned here. Is it his pro pace software that includes the angles that Jim Lehane uses in his Calibration Handicapping book? If so--is the software worth $295 just to get these angles without having to do it by hand--your opinion? Lehane seems to be a handicapper who has some angles that are getting overlays (everyone isn't on to them yet).

Lefty
11-10-2002, 08:03 PM
Capper, Jerry gives a free 30 day trial; why not try it and form your own opinion?

delayjf
11-14-2002, 07:50 PM
If one buys calibration handicapping, is there any need to buy Stokes book or are they basically the samething? From what I've gathered, Stokes book is more slanted towards trainer angles and Lehanes book is more horse performance (internal fractions)oriented.

BIG HIT
11-15-2002, 10:43 AM
hi the book's are like you say performance\trainer intent.But stokes book has a couple more angle plus the one's you mention.And also think stoke's book might bet a angle that lehan's book might not.
As there two different approches even though same angle.have frist edition calibration and stoke's book both good stoke's book little harder to understand he has rule's but there not written in stone they are more to guide you in begining.Where the other is more of a blue print to follow.GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A GREAT DAY

joeprunes
11-28-2002, 11:45 AM
I bought Jims book . We handicap simular and he filled my voids. I am doing very well and its the best $50 dollars I ever spent ,made my money back plusIm picking more long shots that i`ve ever picked before,cold triples well worth it.. Jims a nice man and will help you out if you e-mail him he answers right away, he goes above and beond,and gives suscribers free picks and explains why, and you can compare with your own handicapping to see if your doing it right...prunes