PDA

View Full Version : Nominations for Dumbest

bigmack
12-09-2006, 04:22 PM
IYO, who is the dumbest athlete of all time?

http://gifs.bestgraph.com/sports/baseball/baseball-19.gif

Dave Schwartz
12-09-2006, 04:47 PM
All I can think of is the one-liner about someone (Joe Thiesmann?) referring to "that Norman Einstein guy."

:lol:

Dave

Rpd
12-09-2006, 05:06 PM
OJ

Bathless
12-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Very fertile ground, Mack. So many to choose from -- the mind boggles. I think you need to set up categories.

I haven't watched a basketball game since Michael Jordan was wearing Columbia Blue, but Eddie Griffin certainly deserves mention for this:

http://deadspin.com/sports/nba/eddie-griffins-criminal-climax-219403.php

bigmack
12-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Eddie Griffin certainly deserves mention for this:
Well written piece Bath, I rather like the line: He still faces a civil suit surrounding the incident, but he and the fuzz are square now.

Arguably for stone cold dumb, Leon Spinks has got to be right up there with a shoe size IQ. Poor Leon.

JustRalph
12-09-2006, 05:43 PM
the scary thing is.......somewhere there is a kid shooting hoops wearing an Eddie Griffin jersey.........and longing for an Escalade with a built in DVD player :lol:

cj
12-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Roy Tarpley
Evander Holyfield

Tee
12-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Tragic, but very dumb.

Len Bias

Dan Montilion
12-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Jockeys once the gate opens... and I wager on them 5 days a week. Which says more about me than the jocks.

Overlay
12-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Joe Jackson (not an atypical education level for his time, but might have avoided the Black Sox scandal and been a sure bet for the Hall of Fame with a little better judgment)

On second thought, if I mention Jackson, how can I leave out Pete Rose?

Overlay
12-09-2006, 07:21 PM
By the way, the image in the original question reminds me of Sparky Anderson. Didn't Jim Murray tell the story about the time someone called Sparky a troglodyte and Sparky responded that he thought a man's religion should be his own business?

kenwoodallpromos
12-09-2006, 07:49 PM
I'll let you know after the next Special Olympics.
As a nationality, then Japanese.
By the sports foir injuries compared to pay, bull riders.
by 1 incident, the Raiders center who got so drunk Superbowl Eve he did not show to play a couple of years ago.
"1) Stanley Wilson (1989) - "the Cincinnati Bengal tailback who
overdosed on drugs the night before the biggest game of his life and
missed Super Bowl XXIII."

--and--

2) Barret Robbins (2003) - the Oakland Raider center "who went AWOL
the night before the game in San Diego and wound up staggering drunk
down the streets of Tijuana. He too missed the Super Bowl..."
http://www.thesunlink.com/redesign/2004-01-30/sports/389613.shtml"

JPinMaryland
12-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Barret Robbins has severe mental health problems and I would guess he is in a mental institution at this pt. Justin Strelczyck of the Steelers also had some serious problems and he would up in a hi speed car chase that resulted in his death a few years ago.

Denny McLain is actual super intelligent but cant stay out of legal trouble.

rrpic6
12-10-2006, 12:59 AM
Rickey Henderson. Reportedly said to Seattle teamate John Olerud in 2000, " I used to play with a dude in New York last year that wore his helmet in the field like you do". He didn't know it was also Olerud that he was refering to.

bigmack
12-10-2006, 01:15 AM
Rickey Henderson. " I used to play with a dude in New York last year that wore his helmet in the field like you do".
Oblivion as a result of eponential self involvement doesn't necessarily indicate lack of intellect. Oftentimes, it's an obfuscation of their surroundings.

JustRalph
12-10-2006, 01:30 AM
the polar opposite of Tonight's Heisman Winner.........ever heard of this guy?

Arthur Ernest Schlichter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Schlichter

Bathless
12-10-2006, 08:37 AM
The cementheads in the NHL don't get much media here in the US, but the rosters are full of shoe-size IQs.

My favorite is probably Pete Stemkowski, a former NY Ranger and Toronto Maple Leaf from the 60s and 70s. The Stemmer was actually a pretty funny guy in an incoherent, John Kruk manner. A number of years ago, he decided to have his business partner killed. However, while doing a search for someone to perform the contract, he managed to select an FBI agent from among the candidates.

I don't remember the exact consequences of this act, but I think the Stemmer managed to avoid serious prison time. Last I heard, he was announcing hockey games, though I don't know if it is in the NHL.

rrpic6
12-10-2006, 09:23 AM
the polar opposite of Tonight's Heisman Winner.........ever heard of this guy?

Arthur Ernest Schlichter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Schlichter

Rumor has it that Art bet 20 ciggies on Quinn for the Heisman.
Schlichter is the Patron Saint/Devil for a lot of us Ohio Gamblers. A High School buddie was his roommate at OSU. He would be the go-between for Art and his bookie. He had to break it off after Art would call him from Colts training camp with injury details of his own teammates, indicating to bet for or against the Colts in pre-season games.

BetHorses!
12-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Maurice Clarett

Tee
12-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Now I don't want to hear any he's not an athlete stuff!! :)

Maybe not the dumbest, but certainly not the smartest.

John Daly

Bathless
12-10-2006, 10:49 AM
http://cbs4.com/topstories/topstories_story_180174619.html

cj
12-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Maybe I missed it, but have we gone this far in the thread with no mention of Mike Tyson? He has to be the gold standard by which all levels of stupidity are compared.

bigmack
12-10-2006, 01:13 PM
We almost need to exclude boxers as their cummulative intellect remains rather doltish.

John Daly didn't come to mind but it's a doozie.

I don't watch ESPN ad nauseum, but I'm surprised the Eddie Griffin story didn't get national exposure.

Pete Stemkowski makes the grade, if not, for the legwear alone.

http://www.beehivehockey.com/images/player_images_group3/petestemkowski3.jpg

Bubbles
12-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Rae Carruth, anyone? Former Carolina Panthers wide receiver who murdered his pregnant girlfriend.

skate
12-11-2006, 05:39 PM
you go into boxing for one thing Only, a job. you make your money, if can, and you run...

Ali stayed too long.

i would like to be able to see him "whole" and later in life.

PlanB
12-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Maybe I missed it, but have we gone this far in the thread with no mention of Mike Tyson? He has to be the gold standard by which all levels of stupidity are compared.

LOL. The GOLD STANDARD re-defined.

RE, the post about ALI, all I can say is I saw a show on him & his best bouts & my only comment is, OMG, what a perfect boxer & perfect specimen of man. Back in my single days that's the guy I'd wanna carouse with. Infinite choices.

Stevie Belmont
12-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Vince Coleman-Did not know who Jackie Robinson was
Randy Moss-Comments on the airplane crash of Marshalls football team killing 75 people in all in 1970 "it was really nothing big"

JustRalph
12-11-2006, 10:24 PM
Rumor has it that Art bet 20 ciggies on Quinn for the Heisman.
Schlichter is the Patron Saint/Devil for a lot of us Ohio Gamblers. A High School buddie was his roommate at OSU. He would be the go-between for Art and his bookie. He had to break it off after Art would call him from Colts training camp with injury details of his own teammates, indicating to bet for or against the Colts in pre-season games.

I was at a foreigner concert at St.John arena when Art was in his second season as Buckeye Quarterback. He was in the row in front of us. He was drinking cherry vodka and smoking a seriously large rolled up cigarette........I can't imagine what it was.... :D ...... I just kept thinking........."Man, Woody would kick his ass! "

gjones6794
12-11-2006, 11:14 PM
The dumbest athlete is former Texas Aggie quarterback and now Houston Texans head coach, Gary Kubiak. With the #1 NFL draft pick in 2006, he did not select Vince Young, Reggie Bush or Mat Linert. Instead he shocked the world by wasting the number 1 pick on a defensive lineman, Mario Williams. Yesterday, Mario made 2 tackles while Vince Young scores the winning touchdown and continues to improve every week. Reggie had 4 touchdowns last week and one last night. This is a mistake that will last a decade or more. The only positive thing about this pick, is that it will cost Kubiak his job. The sooner the beter. It is tough to win if you can't recognize talent the rest of the world can see. Sunday, Fox Sports had a segment on How Dumb are the Texans? Nice move, dumbo Kubiak, you are in a league of your own. Go Vince, Go Reggie, Go Matt. Thanks for putting up this thread. Houstonians may never get over this dumb move.

Stevie Belmont
12-11-2006, 11:47 PM
I blame the the owner Mcnair. Bad bad pick.

bigmack
12-11-2006, 11:54 PM
The last two nominated posts are disqualified as a result of ineligibility. "Dumbness" must have been displayed during the throws of a bona fide athetic career. Please retreat to the back of the bus as you've been banned from further entries.

chickenhead
12-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Pete Rose deserves at least a mention here. Every time I've seen him interviewed I am most struck by what an absolute moron he is (and how bad his hair cuts were back in the day). To piss away one of the greatest and most legendary sports careers of all time...and then to lie about it for 10 years....and then finally tell the truth, while continuing to be indignant about being caught in the first place, and indignant about the fact he lied...

A definate: :bang: :bang: :bang:

edit:oops, I see Overlay did mention him. I mention him again then!

JPinMaryland
12-12-2006, 01:22 AM
Do you really feel that gambing as a vice is all that bad?

I mean gee whiz, this is a discussion board devoted to horse racing.. :bang:

betchatoo
12-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Do you really feel that gambing as a vice is all that bad?

I mean gee whiz, this is a discussion board devoted to horse racing.. :bang:

Gambling isn't necessarily a vice (unless you're hopelessly addicted), but betting on your own sport, when you know the consequences, and blaming others when you're caught, is stupid.

Bathless
12-12-2006, 10:16 AM
Okay, so figure skating isn't a sport. But figure skaters are athletes. That said, I nominate Tonya Harding.

The Kerrigan incident, the boxing career and the sex tape constitute quite a nice body of work....

BlueShoe
12-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Can we have a catagory for fake dumb?If so,the winner,hands down,would be Yogi Berra.A few of his "Yogiisms",some going back half a century,are priceless.Not long ago Yogi did a TV commercial for Aflack.His very funny line was "And they even give you cash,which is just as good as money".For those of us that rember Yogi in his prime,this is something that he very well could have actually said.

bigmack
12-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Okay, so figure skating isn't a sport. But figure skaters are athletes. That said, I nominate Tonya Harding.
The Kerrigan incident, the boxing career and the sex tape constitute quite a nice body of work....
Well, from my minds eye we have the current front runner. Nice pick Bath. While most are aware of her most noteworthy manical exhibitions, others include:

--Harding claimed she was being stalked by professional golfers

--Harding claimed that she was abducted at knife-point outside her home by a bushy-haired man who forced her to drive to a rural area, where she rammed her truck into a tree and escaped by running into the woods.

--Harding reported that her truck had been stolen from a shopping mall parking lot

--Harding was ordered by a Clark County judge to stay away from alcohol and her former boyfriend, Darren Silver, after being booked on fourth-degree Domestic Violence assault charges for punching Silver and throwing a hubcap at him

--Harding cancelled a planned boxing match against Tracy Carlton in Oakland, California because of an alleged death threat against her.

Just the kind of girl you want to bring home to Ma.

http://cache.deadspin.com/sports/tonyahardingchamp.jpg

GaryG
12-12-2006, 05:05 PM
That is hard to beat although she is presumed innocent until proven Gillooly...

JimG
12-12-2006, 05:45 PM
If you were to look up the term "dumbest athlete" in a reference manual, there is no doubt in my mind there would be a glossy 8" X 10" picture of Mike Tyson, gold teeth and all grinning back at you.

Jim

Bathless
12-12-2006, 06:25 PM
The problem with this thread/subject is that it is often impossible to distinguish a dumbass from a stone-cold crazy.

rrpic6
12-12-2006, 07:38 PM
The dumbest athlete is former Texas Aggie quarterback and now Houston Texans head coach, Gary Kubiak. With the #1 NFL draft pick in 2006, he did not select Vince Young, Reggie Bush or Mat Linert. Instead he shocked the world by wasting the number 1 pick on a defensive lineman, Mario Williams.

Vince Young scored a 6 in his initial Wunderlich test. Then he got a 16. Most 3rd Graders can get a score between 6 and 16. So Kubiak is dumb for not drafting a dummie? Mat Linert? Try Matt Leinhart. Geez that's quite a post, considering the topic. Want to add yourself to the list?:D

chickenhead
12-12-2006, 07:44 PM
The problem with this thread/subject is that it is often impossible to distinguish a dumbass from a stone-cold crazy.

Oh, that problem goes way beyond just this topic....90% of my time on this board I'm just trying to figure out whether I'm reading the words of a dumbass or a legitimate crazy.

The real bitch is when I realize it's my own post I'm studying on.....

Show Me the Wire
12-12-2006, 07:47 PM
Oh, that problem goes way beyond just this topic....90% of my time on this board I'm just trying to figure out whether I'm reading the words of a dumbass or a legitimate crazy.

The real bitch is when I realize it's my own post I'm studying on.....

Chickenhead:

All I can say is :lol: :lol:

JustRalph
12-13-2006, 12:01 AM
Wow! That picture is scary as hell...........Tonya Looks Like she Ate Nancy Kerrigan!