PDA

View Full Version : Is it True?

DrugSalvastore
12-07-2006, 04:34 PM
i am a dork

Valuist
12-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Was that the name of the horse who the drunk fan tried to punch on Preakness day a few years back? Or was it Yes its True?

bigmack
12-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Was that the name of the horse who the drunk fan tried to punch on Preakness day a few years back? Or was it Yes its True?
Artax

Murph
12-07-2006, 05:07 PM
HEHE - That was Artax in the Pim Special that year if I recall correctly. He came onto the track from the infield and stood directly in Artax' path as they came hard down the stretch.

Murph

Tee
12-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Yes It's True won the race - the Maryland BC Handicap.

As to DrugS being a dork, that I don't quite know. :)

Overlay
12-07-2006, 05:31 PM
Is It True won the 1988 Breeders' Cup Juvenile.

rrpic6
12-07-2006, 05:53 PM
The Baltimore Sun had a great picture on their front page the next day. I know I kept it for a momento. Crazy ruling by the Stewards, as they called Artax a non-starter. He had little chance to even hit the board when the incident happened. He was the favorite, I bet Yes Its True to win, it became the favorite, I got screwed on the win money. My buddy singles Artax in a pick 3 and hits because of that dude. My buddy and myself got more than our money's worth, as we were standing by the Pimlico Security Office after they caught the guy. Looked like Du Koo Kim. (Boxing fans of Ray (Boom Boom) Mancini will know what I'm talking about).

bigmack
12-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Given we don't know the direction DrugS is going, I trust it's Highjack City:

Lee Ferrell, who stood on the track during a race at Pimlico Saturday, was charged with assaulting a jockey on Monday.

Ferrell of Bel Air also was charged with trespassing, reckless endangerment, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and alcohol-related offenses, according to a police report released Monday.

The 22-year-old man punched jockey Jorge Chavez at Pimlico Race Course on Saturday, an assault that has been shown repeatedly on television.

Ferrell was taken to Baltimore's central booking facility, said Barbara Cooper, a spokeswoman for the Division of Pretrial Detention and Services. He was released Sunday after posting $2,500 bond.

Police spokeswoman Angelique Cook-Hayes said Ferrell was first taken to Sinai Hospital for a psychiatric review, but was released Saturday night. Hospital spokeswoman Amy Mickolite refused to comment on whether Ferrell had been at the facility, citing hospital policy.

"We don't know why he did it," Cook-Hayes said.

The bizarre episode occurred several hundred yards from the finish line during the seventh race, about 2 1/2 hours before the Preakness.

Ferrell made his way to the track from the infield and crossed a fence separating the fans from the turf course. He then staggered to the inside rail, which he pounded with his fist before ducking under it, and walked onto the main track.

As the horses approached, he stood with his fists clenched and arms upraised. As the horses charged by on both sides, Ferrell could be seen in replays trying to punch two horses.

Valuist
12-07-2006, 10:33 PM
The Baltimore Sun had a great picture on their front page the next day. I know I kept it for a momento. Crazy ruling by the Stewards, as they called Artax a non-starter. He had little chance to even hit the board when the incident happened. He was the favorite, I bet Yes Its True to win, it became the favorite, I got screwed on the win money. My buddy singles Artax in a pick 3 and hits because of that dude. My buddy and myself got more than our money's worth, as we were standing by the Pimlico Security Office after they caught the guy. Looked like Du Koo Kim. (Boxing fans of Ray (Boom Boom) Mancini will know what I'm talking about).

Would that be before or after Mancini killed him in the ring?

bigmack
12-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Would that be before or after Mancini killed him in the ring?
What an odd aftermath: The bout's referee, Richard Greene, committed suicide in February of 1983, and so did Kim's mother, four months later.

Bruddah
12-07-2006, 11:37 PM
Never before or since have I seen a boxing match, where both fighters' punches landed with such ferocity and strength. When watching, you kept asking yourself, "how much more can either fighter take". Both fighters' punches were vibratingly solid. Somehow, all knew, it would end with one of the fighters seriously hurt. :(

PaceAdvantage
12-07-2006, 11:44 PM
I applaud those who tried in earnest to get this thread on a horse racing track.

PaceAdvantage
12-08-2006, 01:32 AM
PS. This thread was started by a "friend" of DrugS as a test thread, because DrugS' PC was giving him trouble whenever he went to type in a reply. He wanted to see if his "friend" would encounter the same trouble....alas, his "friend" did not, as we have all seen....:lol:

What a whacky evolution this thread has endured....

bigmack
12-08-2006, 03:39 AM
What a whacky evolution this thread has endured....
Endured was a sub-par foal out of Exclusive Native not to be confused with the five H's named Endure of which the most notable was the US bred sired of Damascus with its dam being Kleptomaniac.

BIG RED
12-08-2006, 04:59 AM
What an odd aftermath: The bout's referee, Richard Greene, committed suicide in February of 1983, and so did Kim's mother, four months later.

I think BoomBoom had accidently broken his neck after? Maybe a cloud was above the ring that night :eek:

rrpic6
12-08-2006, 06:08 AM
I was acquainted with Boom Boom, having played in various baseball leagues in the area during High School. He loved to hang out locally after his fights until after the Kim bout. Those that knew him noticed a drastic change, not only emotionally, but physically. He soon moved out of this area to Hollywood to try a movie career. His boxing slowly went downhill. 2 great fights, both losses, against Livingstone Bramble marked the certain ending. He fought twice more,both losses, his last against Macho Camacho, but was never quite the same in or out of the ring.

cato
12-09-2006, 09:58 AM
"Boom Boom" is the name of a great song by the fabulous and dearly departed John Lee Hooker. Actually the song starts out with "Boom boom boom boom"

Born near Clarksdale, Mississippi in 1917 to a sharecropper family, John Lee Hooker was one of the last links to the blues of the deep South. He moved to Detroit in the early 1940's and by 1948 had scored his first number-one jukebox hit and million-seller, "Boogie Chillun." Other hits soon followed, "I'm In The Mood," "Crawling Kingsnake," and "Boom Boom" among the biggest. During the 1950s and '60s, Vee Jay Records released a remarkable string of more than 100 of John Lee's songs.

Great music. :cool:

Cato