PDA

View Full Version : Belmont run-up question

chrisg
12-04-2006, 10:44 PM
In 10f races at Belmont (such as the Suburban H), how soon after the gate opens do they start the timer?

I'm naive when it comes to this.

But when I look at the 2004 running, I don't come up w/1:59+...I get more along the lines of 2:02.5.

I actually thought it was about three seconds off after 6f.

Any help in understanding this would be appreciated.

TitanSooner
12-05-2006, 02:19 AM
not sure about Belmont.. but I know there is definitely a "run up" distance before the clock starts in thoroughbred racing.. I know at churchill, the 6f run up distance is like 150 feet which is quite a bit longer than most places causing the opening quarter to seem abnormally quick.

cj
12-05-2006, 03:26 AM
Belmont is very inconsistent with runup distances. The 10f races are as bad as any. Many times, I have to watch replays to see the runup when trying to make figures, which I don't have to do for most tracks.

robert99
12-05-2006, 06:09 AM
Is there any reason why the timer can't be started by the starter pressing the button to open the gates? Seems strange to start timing any sport after it has started and not when.

cj
12-05-2006, 08:02 AM
Not that a bettor would care, but it would alter all track records. You would need two sets, one before any change and one after. I could live with that, as raw times mean practically zilch anyway.