PDA

View Full Version : Evaluation of "winning angles from A to Z"

punteray
12-04-2006, 10:59 AM
An interesting read...........but nothing earth shattering or new. Most of what I read seemed like 'Deja Vu'. Was it worth the $29.95............not to me. Referenced the DRF mostly as expected because that is where he worked. I did not find anything of value that I could use in my 'capping if the races. You, on the other hand might find something in the book. Since buying the book I received a phone call wanting me to sign up for his "picks". I have also received a brochure in the mail touting same. Begs the question........is the book just a disguised method of getting your address and phone number to get you to sign up to his "picks"?

Ray Scalise

SPEED I know! HORSES I'm not so sure

rrpic6
12-05-2006, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=punteray]An interesting read...........but nothing earth shattering or new. Most of what I read seemed like 'Deja Vu'. Was it worth the $29.95............not to me. Referenced the DRF mostly as expected because that is where he worked. I did not find anything of value that I could use in my 'capping if the races. You, on the other hand might find something in the book. Since buying the book I received a phone call wanting me to sign up for his "picks". I have also received a brochure in the mail touting same. Begs the question........is the book just a disguised method of getting your address and phone number to get you to sign up to his "picks"?

Ray Scalise[QUOTE=punteray]

I've been buying some horseracing books online recently, but never was contacted by the author! I do recall Kelso Sturgeons's boys calling me a few years ago, trying to strong-arm me into buying their picks. The conversation was right out of Good Fellas or The Sopranos! They told me they had all the inside info and I needed that to win. I asked them if they were at Mountaineer or Thistledown, so I could hook up with them. They told me no money could be made there, only at Santa Anita. The call ended up with one of the guys yelling "just give me your credit card number".

Some of the recent books I've bought and read:

Horseplayers: Life at the Track By Ted McCleland

Great stories of a young writer hanging out at Arlington and Hawthorne for a year. I think PA member Steve "the stat man" is one and the same in here.

Three Strides Before The Wire: By Elizabeth Mitchell

Nice post-mortem about Chris Antley's troubled life. The author's own life is intertwined, as she gets involved in the 1999 Triple Crown races.

Exotic Betting: By Steven Crist

I was disappointed in this book. The info given could have been condensed into a pamphlet and sold for two bucks.

kid4rilla
12-05-2006, 01:56 PM
I do recall Kelso Sturgeons's boys calling me a few years ago, trying to strong-arm me into buying their picks. The conversation was right out of Good Fellas or The Sopranos! They told me they had all the inside info and I needed that to win. I asked them if they were at Mountaineer or Thistledown, so I could hook up with them. They told me no money could be made there, only at Santa Anita. The call ended up with one of the guys yelling "just give me your credit card number".
Don't you love this! I never miss any opportunity to call for the free pick on any service because I absolutely love when they call back and do the high pressure schtick. No matter what you say, you need to buy.

"Hey It's Grand Slam Sam here, I showed you last week when I gave you the over that I'm doing my job. How dare you take my pick and waste my time without signing up for the whole year of service? Right now the discounted rate for all of our NBA picks is $300."

"But I do alright on my own, and you said it was free."

"I'm here to make you money...M-O-N-E-Y...M-O-N-E-Y" (I guess spelling for emphasis helps sales)

"But I'm hitting at an 80% clip right now."

"Look, stop putting your bookmakers sons through college and start doing it the right way......"

"I've never missed on a sports bet in 10 years."

"Hey that's pretty good, but we do much betta. I personally lay 10 large on every pick that I give out, and I am a wealthy man."

There is just no dissuading them! I can't wait for Saturday morning so I can hear from Grand Slam, Dutch, and Tony (there's always a Tony) again.

NoDayJob
12-05-2006, 03:43 PM
If ya follow me, I'll make ya a millionaire... The last guy who pulled that one on me, when asked to "produce his last 5 years of Federal & State tax returns" to back up his claims, suddenly got very bellicose. I wonder why? Could it be he was as phoney as a $3 bill? :D

FUGITIVE77
12-19-2006, 01:29 AM
Picked it up this week at the track because it was on sale for 12 dollars and would have never bought it if I could have leafed through it first. A very basic piece geared for beginners. The entire book can be read over a morning coffee and the cup will still be hot when you finish. I’m so glad I had the cashier put it in a plain wrapper.

PriceAnProbability
12-20-2006, 12:51 PM
If ya follow me, I'll make ya a millionaire... The last guy who pulled that one on me, when asked to "produce his last 5 years of Federal & State tax returns" to back up his claims, suddenly got very bellicose. I wonder why? Could it be he was as phoney as a $3 bill? :D

Nah, it couldn't be that, because when I ask the same question of people who claim to be profitable here, they go almost as ballistic.