PDA

View Full Version : Hillary making a run?

highnote
12-04-2006, 03:34 AM
Looks like H is going to make a run for prez, but not quite ready to go public.

I would love to see a woman at the helm. I'm not sure she's the right one. But I look forward to the day when we finally have a female president.

By the way, when did candidates start announcing the formation of exploratory committees? Is this a new trend or has it been around awhile?

Sen. Evan Bayh announced Sunday he was establishing an exploratory committee to raise money for a possible presidential run. (Yahoo News)

Dan Montilion
12-04-2006, 05:41 AM
Exploratory committees. They have been going on forever it is just that the plutocrats and potate's became PC and tossed the "back room deal" label.

Overlay
12-04-2006, 06:32 AM
I think it also has to do with the laws governing campaign funding. I believe that formally declaring candidacy imposes restrictions that don't apply to exploratory committees. The committees have become the quasi-official means of indicating intentions. They allow a candidate to get the exposure of a formal declaration of candidacy, but also to back out with a minimum of red tape and publicity if the early groundwork shows that the support just isn't there.

46zilzal
12-04-2006, 11:19 AM
With all the support for a new direction, there are too many "red necks" in the world to support a woman for president. Should really consider this before wasting the momentum of the last election.

Light
12-04-2006, 12:21 PM
Where is the Democratic leadership? Their main contenders are a woman and a black man.Its a joke.Two types that have never been accepted for president.This is not the time to experiment.

Allthough I'd like to see a democratic female president,I dont like Hillary. Her main beef with the Iraq war is not that it was wrong but that we sent too few troops in the first place.She's missing the point....big time.

And please God, no John Kerry. Democrats need a leader not a wimp.

Snag
12-04-2006, 12:26 PM
I think it also has to do with the laws governing campaign funding. I believe that formally declaring candidacy imposes restrictions that don't apply to exploratory committees. The committees have become the quasi-official means of indicating intentions. They allow a candidate to get the exposure of a formal declaration of candidacy, but also to back out with a minimum of red tape and publicity if the early groundwork shows that the support just isn't there.

The committees can also raise money and not have to declare it should the person not run. We can thank John M and Russ F for this new twist.

NoDayJob
12-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Looks like H is going to make a run

Must be a bathroom run. She surely has diareaha of the mouth. :D

PaceAdvantage
12-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Allthough I'd like to see a democratic female president,I dont like Hillary. Her main beef with the Iraq war is not that it was wrong but that we sent too few troops in the first place.She's missing the point....big time.

Hillary's not so bad afterall....

ELA
12-04-2006, 04:32 PM
I normally don't like to get into these political discussions, however this is more a "strategy" aspect. I think the big picture here is her "electability" -- and the high ranking power players in the party are not going to look at polls in order to answer their questions. Is Hillary truly electable? It's easy to quickly say yes, but I think there are much larger issues at play here.

Even Democrats question the electability issue, and even if they get past that, whether or not she will stay a team player.

Eric

betovernetcapper
12-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Where is the Democratic leadership? Their main contenders are a woman and a black man.Its a joke.

As a Republican/Libertarian, I can't support either sexism or racism. Should one or both (please dear God both) choose to run, I'm going to resister as a Democrat and lend them my support in the primaries.
Light off topic-congratulations on yesterdays pic 4. :)

PaceAdvantage
12-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Where is the Democratic leadership? Their main contenders are a woman and a black man.Its a joke.Two types that have never been accepted for president.This is not the time to experiment.

This coming from the party that is supposedly the friend of the minority.....

Supposedly, Republicans = big bad MOFO racists....

But then, you look at GWB's cabinet and then look at the statement above....you tell me? Which party is really keeping women and minorities down?

Tom
12-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Ironinc, I have no complaints about Hillary as my senator. She has been on the right side af many issue I support. Upchuck Schummer, too.

And Obama? No real experience, but as a senator, he has been behind some actually good legislation. He has a professional auroa about him, which is very important for someone oin the world stage.

Not endorsing either, but not campaigning against either one at this point.

Let me put it this way - other than Newt, I don't anyone on the repoublican side but clowns, morons, and hacks.

A dem WH and a republican congress might be a breath of fresh air.
Certainly better than the stink that comes off the hill these days.

dylbert
12-04-2006, 09:40 PM
... I have no complaints about Hillary as my senator. She has been on the right side af many issue I support. Upchuck Schummer, too.
Tom, I don't have any complaints about Hillary as YOUR senator. I just don't need her as OUR president.

What would that make Bill, First Gentleman? LOL... He could go around the globe attending funerals and picking up chicks. Life imitating art -- scene from "Wedding Crashers". Or he could give Borat an interview and discuss where he kept "p___y magnet" in the Oval Office. LMAO

doophus
12-04-2006, 10:07 PM
46 said:

".......there are too many "red necks" in the world to support a woman for president."

Yep, about a month ago we stayed home in droves, and the Dem's gained "momentum." Today we're ag'inst anything that a liberal chooses for us to be ag'inst, Hillary, John, Bloomberg, 'Bama (I mean Obama), Romney, and any other non-redneck non-conservative. It'll get interesting when the non-redneck conservative, Newt, announces. What'll I do then? 46 will probably tell me!

Incidentally and off-topic, won't it be fun to see ND sneak back into South Bend after the redneck coonasses mistreat them down in the Big Easy? Wow, they'll despise sugar for the rest of their days.

delayjf
12-05-2006, 11:32 AM

I don't buy that for a minute, her Senatoral career has been nothing but an orchastrated front to hide her true political philosophy, to try and reposition herself as a moderate so that she can get elected President. Her Presidency scares me.

Obama is a personality (Ophra's candidate)that "the Machine" will get behind and convince the nation that he is the next Bobby Kennedy. It can work, Hollywood does this all the time, they can make a no-talent hack a star if they choose to.

Lefty
12-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Instead of all this "wanting" female or black or Jewish or whatever for Pres here'swhat I want. I want a person who will keep the taxes low and fight like hell to defeat all threats to this country, externally and internally. I don't give a freak if that person is white, black, Jewish, male or female.

njcurveball
12-05-2006, 12:09 PM
Amen Lefty!

richrosa
12-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Its interesting to watch how Obama Barack has stimlated all the Democrats to come out early. Much like Howard Dean did in the last election I think Hilary will peak too early, and Barack just doesn't have a position on issues out there just yet to get too excited about him.

I project with what I know at this point that John Edwards looks more likely that either of those to to really capitalize on the time that they will spend trying to capture the early momentum.

On the Republican side, they look more mixed up than usual, but I expect that Rudy and Newt will announce later and be formidable, plus their baggage has already been exercized to death already. Romney looks like a darkhorse, but very possible with good momentum. As much as the media loves John McCain, I can't see how primary voters can forgive him for McCain-Feingold, the Gang of 12, his constant jumping over to the other side aisle, and his stance on immigration. He could be out early if the others do their job right.

highnote
12-05-2006, 02:31 PM
I project with what I know at this point that John Edwards looks more likely that either of those to to really capitalize on the time that they will spend trying to capture the early momentum.

Good point. Dean had all the early momentum last year and then got clobbered in Iowa.

In the debates Dean was much better than Edwards, Kerry and Lieberman. Kuchinich, Sharpton and Braun all did a respectable job.

I thought Sharpton was a good debator. He had nothing to lose, so he could be himself -- something that Kerry and Gore should learn from.

It will be interesting to see how Obama and Hillary handle themselves in the debates. The Dems have a lot of high profile names. Question is -- are they any good?

Tom
12-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Instead of all this "wanting" female or black or Jewish or whatever for Pres here'swhat I want. I want a person who will keep the taxes low and fight like hell to defeat all threats to this country, externally and internally. I don't give a freak if that person is white, black, Jewish, male or female.

You want a Martian??:D

Lefty
12-05-2006, 06:22 PM
You want a Martian??:D
Can't happen. Wasn't born here. One of the 2 requirements to be Pres.

highnote
12-05-2006, 06:24 PM

:D Bwahahahaha

Tom
12-05-2006, 08:58 PM

OK, then exlain Clinton to me! :eek::cool:

JPinMaryland
12-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Gen Wesley Clark may be a contender in the next one. His run on 04 was amateurish, not well managed, no organization, etc. But I think he will be back; he seems to speak well enuf and hasnt gotten too far out on the issues. Problem is the democrat leadership has no affinity for him, so that will make it tough. BUt I think he has a lot of positives for the next cycle.

McCain seems too old at this pt. plus what was said above.

If the Iraq situation had gotten worse this year, Condie Rice or Colin Powell might have made interesting runs.

Giuliani seems good on paper, he has the highest positive rating among all politicians in that latest survey. Something tells me though that he will get de-railed in the primary process by those that prefer a candidate more to the right. I think on paper he looks good but might not play to the core GOP people.

Lefty
12-06-2006, 01:08 AM
OK, then exlain Clinton to me! :eek::cool:
One of the greatest con artists i've ever seen.
"it depends on what is is."
Priceless.

highnote
12-06-2006, 01:26 AM
One of the greatest con artists i've ever seen.
"it depends on what is is."
Priceless.

I didn't see him as being a con -- I saw him as being a lawyer.

By the way, what was the context of "is" in his statement "... depends on what is is."?

Secretariat
12-06-2006, 07:01 PM
I could not vote for Hilary Clinton for President. Woudl have to write in a candidate most likely in that occasion.

Overlay
12-06-2006, 07:29 PM
By the way, what was the context of "is" in his statement "... depends on what is is."?

I believe Clinton was testifying about the truthfulness of a statement that he made to his aides to the effect that "there is nothing going on between us" (referring to Monica Lewinski). Clinton contended that this was a true statement because at the precise moment that he spoke those words to his aides, he was not in fact engaged in improper conduct with Ms. Lewinski. Whether someone else would contend that the statement was untruthful would depend on whether the word "is" was taken to mean "at this precise moment" or "in the general context of the present time".

kenwoodallpromos
12-07-2006, 12:39 AM
After the announcement today about Cheney's lesbian daughter being pregnant, I would not bet against the Demos next time unless Cheney resigns by Jan 1.

Lefty
12-07-2006, 02:29 AM
After the announcement today about Cheney's lesbian daughter being pregnant, I would not bet against the Demos next time unless Cheney resigns by Jan 1.
What?

Overlay
12-07-2006, 05:39 PM
I believe he's expressing the opinion that the GOP's conservative base will stay away from the polls or vote Democrat in 2008 in protest of the lifestyle choices of Mr. Cheney's daughter unless Mr. Cheney resigns.

PlanB
12-07-2006, 05:44 PM
That's ridiculous. What's a father to do? I think the public is wise enough to know that any father would rally behind his daughter & Cheney's political views were softened by his daughter, no doubt, but why that would matter politically is dumb. I think the public will judge Cheney (and Bush) no matter what their daughters do. The public is very astute that way.

44PACE
12-07-2006, 06:46 PM
I was going to respond to Flatulence on a Plane, then I saw this, maybe Hillary making a run has some connection to airplane flatulence.;)

Lefty
12-07-2006, 08:06 PM
That's ridiculous. What's a father to do? I think the public is wise enough to know that any father would rally behind his daughter & Cheney's political views were softened by his daughter, no doubt, but why that would matter politically is dumb. I think the public will judge Cheney (and Bush) no matter what their daughters do. The public is very astute that way.
Wow, Derek, I agree with you.
Besides, Cheney will not be running in 2008 and we have brand new candidates to look at and get the dems busy trying to "out" some Repubs son or daughter.

skate
12-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Looks like H is going to make a run for prez, but not quite ready to go public.

I would love to see a woman at the helm. I'm not sure she's the right one. But I look forward to the day when we finally have a female president.

By the way, when did candidates start announcing the formation of exploratory committees? Is this a new trend or has it been around awhile?

yepper, i 'd love to see the "H" back in the House.

i recommend she sign up with military, just so she don't have ta answer to the press about avoiding her duty

Show Me the Wire
12-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Sincere question:

In light of Sen. Clinton's admission she has been fooled twice by powerful men, first by her husband's extra-marital activities and secondly by President Bush causing the Hon. Senator to vote in favor of the Iraq war how can anyone have confidence in her decision making abilities? I for one do not want a person holding a powerful office if that person is susceptible to being bamboozled, in their personal life and their professional life.

highnote
12-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

:D