PDA

View Full Version : OSU basketball = A joke

Bubbles
12-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Their schedule, that is.

Now, this is not the Michigan bias coming out. But I am sick and tired of hearing about the "Thad Five," when they lost against the only non-cupcake team they've played against, and have hosted every other game. Let's look at the schedule so far...

They opened against the Virginia Military Institute. A joke. OSU wins, 107-69. At home.

They play Loyola-Chicago. OSU wins a fairly-close game, 87-75. At home.

Kent State. OSU 81-59. At home.

Eastern Kentucky. OSU 74-45. At home.

San Francisco. OSU 82-60. At home.

Youngstown State. OSU 91-57. At home.

North Carolina. UNC 98-89. At UNC.

Today, home against Valparaiso. Greg Oden debuts. 78-58 OSU win.

They stomp on cupcakes at home, yet go on the road and get trounced by UNC. My prediction: They don't get past the Sweet 16 this year. Not enough seasoning against very good teams.

Oh wait! They still have Cleveland State (12/9), Iowa State (12/19 (6-2, but they lost to Drake. Ponder that.), and Coppin State (12/30) on the schedule. Not to mention Northwestern in in-conference play.

Murph
12-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Today, home against Valparaiso. Greg Oden debuts. 78-58 OSU win.No one in my neighborhood is laughing about this!

This kid is likely responsible for IU going with Ralph Sampson to coach the
Hoosiers. I doubt if Indiana's most talented players will stay in state to play
for him either, though. SIGH! Go Butler Bulldogs!

Murph

1st time lasix
12-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Saturday December 23rd.....they play Florida in Gainesville. Tough to win there if Florida is healthy.

JustRalph
12-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Well, since most of them have been playing college ball for about 3 weeks, I will reserve comment. It is not this year that is being looked forward to in columbus. It is year 3-4........

Bubbles
12-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Well, since most of them have been playing college ball for about 3 weeks, I will reserve comment. It is not this year that is being looked forward to in columbus. It is year 3-4........If they're still in Columbus, that is, and haven't jumped to the pros.

JustRalph
12-04-2006, 02:56 PM
If they're still in Columbus, that is, and haven't jumped to the pros.

We are used to that.
Look at the NFL rosters...............

Storm Cadet
12-04-2006, 08:31 PM
No one in my neighborhood is laughing about this!

Murph

The Indiana Coaches name is KELVIN Sampson....Ralph Sampson was the 7 footer who played for Virginia in the 80's.

Valuist
12-04-2006, 10:29 PM

Murph

Butler's got a real solid team. That conference usually turns out a couple real good teams. Usually its the Bulldogs and Wisky Milw.

Valuist
12-04-2006, 10:31 PM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32807

Bubbles
01-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Third loss of the year yesterday. These guys don't look like anything special at all.

Valuist
01-10-2007, 11:03 AM

Murph

Butler is the best team in that state. The Horizon is an underrated league.

Bubbles-

I agree OSU had no business being ranked number one earlier in the year but yesterday's loss was to a pretty good Wisky team on Wisky's home floor which is just about impossible to win on for a road team. They actually made it very close which caught Vitale by surprise as he was off on some tangent late in the game figuring it was wrapped up.

Murph
01-10-2007, 11:22 AM
The Indiana Coaches name is KELVIN Sampson....Ralph Sampson was the 7 footer who played for Virginia in the 80's.LOL!! Thanks SC for pointing that out.

I was probably daydreaming about a coach who might be able to recruit 7 footers. Kelvin Sampson deserves a chance to move the IU program ahead but I believe he will have to do it during his first contract.

Murph

Buddha
01-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Third loss of the year yesterday. These guys don't look like anything special at all.

I don't pay enough attention to basketball to really care, but lets look at their 3 losses.

1st loss was to #1 UNC at UNC
2nd loss was to #2 Florida at Florida
3rd lass was to #4 Wisconsin at Wisconsin

Not saying they are great or should be ranked as high as they are, but those 3 games wouldn't be easy for any team. We will see come March, just how good they really are.

JustRalph
01-12-2007, 01:47 PM

Against 3 top ranked teams. Hell this is a High School Team plus 6 months. I still say the jury is out. BTW, I mailed a copy of this thread to Thad Matta to post in his locker room...................we shall see if he responds...........

Bubbles
01-13-2007, 11:15 AM
The game against Tennessee today is going to show me a lot. If they win, I'll consider retracting my statements about how they don't have what it takes to be considered one of the top-notch teams in the country. If not, well, I told you so, lol.

RBrowning
01-13-2007, 03:22 PM
The game against Tennessee today is going to show me a lot. If they win, I'll consider retracting my statements about how they don't have what it takes to be considered one of the top-notch teams in the country. If not, well, I told you so, lol.

Interesting.

Bubbles
01-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Close game, but the Buckeyes pulled it out. Oden had a monster game, and I give him a lot of credit.

I still think there's no way on earth they could be considered one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the country, but maybe conference play will toughen them up.

JustRalph
01-13-2007, 04:28 PM
They call it March Madness............not January Lunacy.........let's hope you are right Bubbles................they come around in about 6 weeeks

46zilzal
01-13-2007, 04:33 PM
strange but it seems that in many college sports, the tradition of the school in that sports constantly comes through: i.e Oklahoma State wrestlers, USC/OSU/Mich football, UCLA/Duke/Kentucky/Kansas basketball even in the teams are less than stellar.

kingfin66
02-25-2007, 11:17 PM
Come on Bubbles, it's time to come clean. You were wrong. I give you credit for being willing to com out with a strong opinion, but it is time to admit that Ohio State isn't so bad after all. They are "laughing" their way to #1.

Bubbles
02-26-2007, 12:51 AM
I give them credit; they beat the #1-ranked team today. Are they a good team? No doubt.

HOWEVER, am I willing to concede they're the favorite for a national title? No way. Wisconsin beat them early in the year, and teams like UCLA and USC are going to give OSU all they could handle. Should be a fun stretch run.

rastajenk
02-26-2007, 01:07 AM
They had a graphic on during the game today that listed 8 or 9 teams with three or four losses that could all make legitimate claims to a 1-seed with strong finishes. Usually by this time in the season there are two or three definite 1-seeds, with a few others slightly in the mix, but this year it's pretty wide open. I don't think any reasonable person is conceding anything to any team.

But Matta is a good game coach and successful in the tournament. They will be a tough out.

JustRalph
02-26-2007, 06:22 AM
They aren't laughing in Wisconsin................ :lol:

kingfin66
02-26-2007, 07:25 PM
I don't think UCLA will make the Elite 8. I watched a lot of Pac-10 games this year...following my beloved Washington State Cougars. The Pac-10 did not end up being nearly as good as it looked to be in the pre-season. I think the Big-10, ACC, etal are their usual good conferences and the Pac-10 is its usual lower caliber self.

Watch UCLA lose to WSU in Pullman.

46zilzal
02-26-2007, 09:08 PM
I don't think UCLA will make the Elite 8. I watched a lot of Pac-10 games this year...following my beloved Washington State Cougars. The Pac-10 did not end up being nearly as good as it looked to be in the pre-season. I think the Big-10, ACC, etal are their usual good conferences and the Pac-10 is its usual lower caliber self.

Watch UCLA lose to WSU in Pullman.

we'll see. Of course I was there when we were spoiled by this man (I recognize Lynn Shakelford over his shoulder)

Racer98
03-10-2007, 05:27 PM
For those buckeye critics out there, EAT IT. We can play with the tough guys, and we have a fully healthy Oden. And now with UCLA down, well...

JustRalph
03-10-2007, 06:09 PM
For those buckeye critics out there, EAT IT. We can play with the tough guys, and we have a fully healthy Oden. And now with UCLA down, well...

Oh god............don't tell me, you're a Buckeye?

I will guess Cuyahoga County............ :lol:

Don't count your chickens yet...........they are the youngest team out there, maybe with the most raw talent..........but experience means a lot.

Racer98
03-10-2007, 06:26 PM
Nope, Licking County. But my folks are from Cuyahoga. Go Bucks!

JustRalph
03-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Nope, Licking County. But my folks are from Cuyahoga. Go Bucks!

update your profile........

Newark, Pataskala? I knew there had to be some Cleveland area influence in you.............. :lol:

Racer98
03-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Pataskala. I feel so alone there, other than a few other out-of-towners. (from NJ and MD)

Hope the bucks can pull out the game today against UW. Each team's last loss was to one another.

JustRalph
03-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Pataskala. I feel so alone there, other than a few other out-of-towners. (from NJ and MD)

Hope the bucks can pull out the game today against UW. Each team's last loss was to one another.

I have a home in Pataskala too............

Racer98
03-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Oh?

Texas-14
Kansas-2

OSU-2
Wisconsin-2

Early...

Racer98
03-11-2007, 05:18 PM
41-35, Buckeyes, 12:15 to go...

57-54 Texas over kansas as well...

JustRalph
03-11-2007, 08:49 PM
They are not scoring enough. They better step it up.

They won't be able to keep up with the big dogs

Oden needs to get with it. And the guards better up their percentage

rastajenk
03-12-2007, 02:43 PM
They're scoring plenty if the other team only gets 50! :D I think they'll be just fine.

Bracket observation: The Committee says they don't seed with potentially interesting story lines in mind. So then we get a possible 2nd round matchup between Big State U and Xavier? :eek: I ain't buyin' it.

Racer98
03-12-2007, 02:57 PM
That could be fun.

The Tennessee-Virginia game could be interesting, if it happens.

Nevada's my sleeper in that bracket, along with Stanford.

kingfin66
03-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Stanford's not very good. They will be much better next year. Their record wasn't that great, the Pac-10 wasn't that great, and they didn't finish well at all. I believe that Louisville will crush Stanford. Syracuse must be livid they are home and Stanford is in.

Racer98
03-12-2007, 07:58 PM
West Virginia. They held Louisville down to the buzzer and toasted UCLA. If any team deserves to be in more than say, Stanford, then it's them.

Bubbles
03-12-2007, 08:12 PM
I don't see many HUGE upsets this year. I see some minor ones, though. For example, I have every 10-seed advancing out of the first round, and I like Winthrop to beat Notre Dame in the first round.

My dark horse: Holy Cross. Their backcourt (Torey Thomas and conference POY Keith Simmons) combined for 51 points to beat Bucknell in the Patriot League tournament, and they have the potential to go off on SIU in the first round, as well as Virginia Tech/Illinois in the second. This is a deceptively-strong team that gave Duke a game at Cameron and played a reasonably-tough OOC schedule.

My shock: Tennessee beating OSU in the Sweet 16. OSU eked out a win over the Vols at OSU earlier in the year. Tennessee can really shoot, and if they get hot, Oden and the Buckeyes may be sent packing.

Teams that should've gotten in: West Virginia and Syracuse. Combined, they went 44-19 on the season. The Big East should have had 8 teams in the tourney, which is an absolutely mind-blowing figure.

Teams that should be in the NIT: Arkansas lost 13 games and shouldn't be in the dance, conference tourney results be damned. Stanford wasn't remarkable, save for a win against UCLA, and was merely 18-12, losing 4 of their last 5.

My final four: Pitt vs. Florida, Georgetown vs. Texas A&M.

Championship game: Florida vs. Georgetown.

Winner: Florida.

Racer98
03-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Ohio State over Virginia close in sweet 16.

indiana is a sleeper.

OSU, Southern Illionois, Wisconsin, Georgetown in final 4.

Winner: OSU.

Bubbles
03-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Racer, you like Virginia to beat Tennessee? I think UVA is an overrated squad that lucked out getting Albany in the first round. Saw the Great Danes play Siena and lose in double overtime earlier in the year, and they were not impressive. If they didn't give UConn a game last year, they'd probably be a 15 or 16.

Racer98
03-13-2007, 06:44 PM
I am biased a bit there. (Family history, y'know) It will be close.

MikeDee
03-14-2007, 06:51 AM
Bubbles, I'm glad to see that you are not climbing on the OSU bandwagon. As, long as you are down on them I figure they have a real good chance to go all the way. Please don't change your mind :)

cj
03-17-2007, 03:26 PM
They should have lost. First off, the foul by Oden was a flagrant at the end, but the refs didn't have the balls to make the call. It was a really obvious call, and there is no excuse for not making it.

Second, I always think you should foul when up by three at the end. The odds of hitting a three pointer are much better than scoring three when fouled.

doophus
03-17-2007, 03:43 PM
JR,

Your prayers were answered.

As expected the youngsta's have matured since Bubbles began this thread.

JustRalph
03-17-2007, 04:06 PM
OSU basketball = A joke

The X-men aren't laughing? :lol:

Wow, what a game. That kid hit that 3 pointer to tie it like he was playing in the backyard. :jump:

I still think they are too young to go all the way.........but they are sure making it fun............

46zilzal
03-17-2007, 04:47 PM
College sports are great: never know who will do what

Racer98
03-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Too close for comfort.

Watched it from a Roly-Poly sandwiches shop. :cool:

Bubbles
03-17-2007, 10:36 PM
I think OSU beats Virginia and falls to Tennessee. Virginia's athletic, but they don't stack up well against OSU. Tennessee, however, shot the lights out in the opening round, scoring 121 (!!). That's a team of spectacular shooters, and if they shoot well from outside, it may neutralize Oden inside on the defensive end.

Yet again, I haven't been right much in this thread, will it start now? LOL...

Racer98
03-18-2007, 11:38 AM
That all depends on who wins today. Who will, i wonder...

It'll be close.

46zilzal
03-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Some really good games the last few days.

Racer98
03-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Tennessee-77
Virginia-74

Rats.

Bubbles
03-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Tennessee-77
Virginia-74

Rats.One in a row...

Serious note, how's everyone's brackets doing? 14 of my sweet 16 teams are alive, but Florida's struggling to put away Purdue, and that's my national champ.

Racer98
03-18-2007, 05:24 PM
6 of 16.

Nevada is doing okay...

OTM Al
03-19-2007, 09:36 AM
Hey Bubbles, that Purdue team is pretty scrappy (hey gotta defend my alma mater). Besides, its only about the 5th game they played this year against at team that made it to #1 and though losing all of them, they played competitively in all....Only got 10 of 16, but then I hardly watched this year, so not terrible.

Bubbles
03-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Let's go Vols!!!!!

Bubbles
03-23-2007, 12:34 AM
Wow...GREAT block by Oden.

JustRalph
03-23-2007, 01:21 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Are we having fun yet!!!

highnote
03-23-2007, 01:32 AM
GO BUCKEYES.

I have them going all the way in my office pool. But I'm biased...

You can take the boy out of Ohio, but you can't take the Buckeye out of the boy. :ThmbUp:

Valuist
03-23-2007, 08:33 AM
Great block by Oden. No foul....by him. But the guy who was covering the shooter thru the lane hit him with the body pretty hard; much harder than the love tap Texas A & M got called for a foul. I don't really have a problem with the no call in the OSU game, since usually at the end of the game anything goes. But what a $hitty way for A & M to go down, on a touch "foul".

melman
03-23-2007, 09:05 AM
What a great comeback by Ohio State, down 20 at the half and still got the job done. And that was with Oden in foul trouble for the huge majority of the game. They may be young but that was impressive.

Val---I agree about that foul at the end it was a lousy call, but the A&M kid missed an easy layup that really killed them.

MikeDee
03-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Let's go Vols!!!!!

That worked, they're gone. Now it's "Let's go Memphis!!!!!" :)

Bubbles
03-23-2007, 01:11 PM
MikeDee, not at all. That part of my bracket is shot, what with A&M gone (on that touch foul, geez) and all. Couldn't care less about who comes out, so long as they lose to Georgetown in the final four (who, in turn, loses to Florida).

By the way, how's your bracket doing? You seem very eager to pounce on me when I'm wrong, but you haven't given others the fair chance to do so right back...

MikeDee
03-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Bubbles, I'm just pulling your chain because you have been so down on them all year. I don't have any brackets. I'm not even a basketball fan, just a OSU fan. Both of my kids went to OSU so it's a family rooting interest.

At half time it really looked like you called it right Tenn was shooting "lights out" with all of those 3's.

Wiley
03-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Had not seen the Vols play this year but Bubbles you were right on as those Tennessee boys can surely light it up from outside. Lofton was a threat after crossing halfcourt. Rafftery referenced a similarity to Dell Curry and I agree with his little fallback, no space needed jumper - I'll go farther back to 'Downtown' Freddie Brown as well. Connelly played a great game keeping the OSU team poised when they could have fallen apart with timely defense and his quickness to the hole. Tennessee really pushed the tempo and they were a fun team to watch.

Valuist - It looked to me like the Tennesse guy initiated the final play contact so to me a good no call - just saw it once so I could be wrong on it, not that the ref's don't call fouls on those types of plays but to me they should not. Agree with the lame late call against A&M and from what I have seen in games so far (watched maybe 6 or 7 games) the ref's have been typically inconsistent - allow all types of banging and contact on one play then call a touch foul in the open court on the next.
The best team I've seen is North Carolina, they have the whole package with an incredible bench.

Racer98
03-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Just Win Baby!

Works for all buckeyes: Football and Basketball.

JustRalph
03-31-2007, 11:53 PM
Wow! You can hear the Crickets in here?

In the championship game in Football and now B-Ball.......... let's hope the B-ball team shows up...........unlike the football team who left it all at home.

highnote
04-01-2007, 02:19 AM
Wow! You can hear the Crickets in here?

In the championship game in Football and now B-Ball.......... let's hope the B-ball team shows up...........unlike the football team who left it all at home.

Go BUCKEYES!

I missed the game, but I did see the last 2.8 seconds. That was enough for me. :ThmbUp:

46zilzal
04-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Florida looks too good for these guys as well.

highnote
04-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Florida looks too good for these guys as well.

Buckeyes look flat tonight.

JustRalph
04-03-2007, 12:16 AM
No shootey the 3 pointer.........No Winney the Game!

The game is not the same with the 3 pointer. Oh well.....Oden played one hell of a game. If you would have bet me they would make it to the finals I would have never believed they could do it. Good for them. There is only one other school in the country ahead of "The Ohio State University" when it comes to sports. Not a bad record.

highnote
04-03-2007, 12:23 AM

The game is not the same with the 3 pointer. Oh well.....Oden played one hell of a game. If you would have bet me they would make it to the finals I would have never believed they could do it. Good for them. There is only one other school in the country ahead of "The Ohio State University" when it comes to sports. Not a bad record.

No offensive rebounding either.

They had a good run, though.

JustRalph
04-03-2007, 12:30 AM
My prediction: They don't get past the Sweet 16 this year. Not enough seasoning against very good teams.

Just to make it official.......... I gotta call you on this one........... :lol:

DanG
04-03-2007, 01:53 AM

The game is not the same with the 3 pointer.
In all fairness OSU also got out-hustled to nearly every loose ball.

Amazing how different you look at a game when your step-daughter is a freshman at Florida. Basketball in Florida is frankly just a distraction until spring football, but that campus is on fire.

Bubbles
04-03-2007, 08:34 AM
Just to make it official.......... I gotta call you on this one........... :lol:Xavier was a free throw away. Yet again, almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

JustRalph
06-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Amazing how the top picks are from the two teams in the finals last year.

I think this will be fun to watch how these guys turn out. I imagine we could see the Florida and Ohio State guys playing against each other for an NBA championship in a few years.............