PDA

View Full Version : Here's something that made me chuckle...

PaceAdvantage
12-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Eliot Spitzer is on CNBC right now, and during the course of a discussion about going after corporate fraud, he stated that the indictment of the ENTIRE Arthur Anderson company by the Federal Government was a MISTAKE and an OVERSTEP of power, and was only done as a show of force by the Feds to illustrate that the Feds were "doing something" about corporate fraud. Spitzer's comment came after the host pointed out all the innocent people who lost their jobs as a result of the Anderson indictment.

A bit hypocritical of him in the wake of the NYRA situation, don't you think?

cj
12-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Hypocrasy is the middle name of most politicians, no?

skate
12-01-2006, 04:54 PM
my first thought ( probably last) is "PA"is gonna move your ass...

actually i respect Him for saying that, i think he is most likely correcto.

and yeh, its Hypo...all right, sure is...

IBCNU
12-01-2006, 06:33 PM
The larger a goverment grows, the more it overSTEPS.

Benevolus
12-01-2006, 07:47 PM
I don't think he overstepped at all with NYRA. They refused to cut down on corruption and then someone had to do it for them. Their business model was terrible and the leadership when he went after them was corrupt to the core. Better things get fixed than fall apart. The new group will do a good job, whoever it is.

My issue has always been the living conditions for the grooms and hotwalkers. They are atrocious and NYRA is responsible for that. For every dollar they stole they could have fixed the living quarters.

The two other groups involved are going to put in good housing. As one woman worker said in yesterday's newsday article about the dorms "NYRA has done nothing to better the living conditions," she said.

It is disgraceful that people with money have to feel guilty when visiting their horses because the horses are treated better than the grooms because NYRA could not get it's act together and build them better housing.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lihors304995800nov30,0,7767840.story

Indulto
12-01-2006, 08:09 PM
I don't think he overstepped at all with NYRA. They refused to cut down on corruption and then someone had to do it for them.

... My issue has always been the living conditions for the grooms and hotwalkers. They are atrocious and NYRA is responsible for that. For every dollar they stole they could have fixed the living quarters.
Were any NYRA executives actually indicted for the criminal activity you refer to without being specific? If so, can you -- or anybody here -- identify the individuals involved, what each was accused of, and what each is doing now?

PaceAdvantage
12-02-2006, 12:13 AM
They refused to cut down on corruption and then someone had to do it for them. Their business model was terrible and the leadership when he went after them was corrupt to the core.

Corrupt to the core you say? And yet, Indulto makes an excellent point in response. If they were so corrupt, hows come none of the leadership is facing jail time? Guess they weren't all that corrupt after all.....

And their terrible business model (again, your words) is FORCED upon them by the state that set this whole thing up 50+ years ago.

Suff
12-02-2006, 12:38 AM
Arthur Anderson was Enron's Auditors. When Enron went down the Rats ratted and AA was bus'd by the Guberment.

Can I give you a Here is something that made me chuckle?

Did you see the Full page Ad in today's DRF from Excelsior?

Talk about butchering the truth, and not only that the headline says "to Horseman, and racing fans"...then proceeds to list the reasons they were recommended to run NY racing.

Of all the reasons they listed I dare any horse player to find one substantial benefit to us. After reading that list I shuddered that these guys might run the place.

the #2 item on the list is there willingness to share VLT's with the Horsemen..... NOWHERE is there a SINGLE point that indicates they know what ails players...

I wonder.... when they drafted the ad, and they sat in a room and looked at it, and went over costs, and when and what ...

No one spoke up and said....You know . the headline says to Racing Fans but nothing in there addresses them? Maybe we should put down free parking or SOMETHING... Maybe a free small coke with every Hot Dog Purchase?
Or,,,,something real crazy like Lower Takeout!! Something,.,,,

I tell you what... The Horsemen have double dealed NYRA. They had a deal with Hayward already!!

You gotta feel bad for Hayward and Nader. They're hands are tied and everybody is slapping the crap out of them. Those two have heart just to be still standing.

PaceAdvantage
12-02-2006, 12:46 AM
Arthur Anderson was Enron's Auditors. When Enron went down the Rats ratted and AA was bus'd by the Guberment.

The more I think about it, the more I'm shocked that Spitzer thought the entire NYRA deserved to be indicted over the mutuel teller scandal, yet Arthur Anderson did not! Is this guy for real?

samyn on the green
12-02-2006, 12:54 AM
Spitzers big bust involed a waiter, Baeza and a dozen mutuel clerks. NYRA stole nothing, Spitzer didn't stop anything. Spitzers crusade against NYRA was designed as a media show to sway the minds of the masses. Now that the masses are fooled Spitzer has obtained his leverage over the racing industry and he will cash out when his friends take over. Game, set and match.

Suff
12-02-2006, 01:21 AM
NY Horsemen filed a Federal Lawsuit against NYRA yesterday.

It made Business Week

Horsemen sue N.Y. Racing Association

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8LO9IFG0.htm

Tom
12-02-2006, 10:49 AM
As far as Spitzer goes, he has half the IQ of a Twinkie. And half the taste, too.

Never be surprised by anything this snack cake does. He is out there, every day, sun up til sundown, workinghard - to benifit Eliot Spitzer and nobody else. Is Tamany Hall still around? This guy would feel at home in it.

Won't someone take out our trash?

Tom
12-02-2006, 10:50 AM
NY Horsemen filed a Federal Lawsuit against NYRA yesterday.

It made Business Week

Isn't it pretty much a moot point now that they are under court protection of bankruptcy?

Indulto
12-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Spitzers big bust involed a waiter, Baeza and a dozen mutuel clerks. NYRA stole nothing, Spitzer didn't stop anything. Spitzers crusade against NYRA was designed as a media show to sway the minds of the masses. Now that the masses are fooled Spitzer has obtained his leverage over the racing industry and he will cash out when his friends take over. Game, set and match.SOTG,
The commencement of Spitzer's NYRA concerns seems to have coincided with consideration of VLTs. Was his crusade a conspiracy whose climax could only be achieved by capturing the Governorship?

Claims of mismanagement aside, how could the existing business model, already compromised by the state OTB drain and offshore competition, possibly have survived in the long-run; even with slots? As Spitzer's election appeared as much due to dissatisfaction with the Republican administration (which was subjected to similar attempts to gain influence by most of the same parties) as it was to his reputation, I'd say his long-term planning capability is pretty good.

So, NYRA should still have a shot if Spitzer has any presidential ambitions. If he gives the nod to Excelsior in the face of substantial campaign support by the principals, he'd be open to serious challenges to his integrity outside of New York State.

But regardless of his future plans, his supporters could still benefit from his mandating or negotiatiating roles for them within an extended NYRA franchise; a possibility suggested in the following DRF column:

Numbers don't tell the whole story By STEVEN CRIST 11/24/2006
http://drf.com/drfNewsArticle.do?NID=80774&subs=0&arc=1

skate
12-02-2006, 01:07 PM
I don't think he overstepped at all with NYRA. They refused to cut down on corruption and then someone had to do it for them. Their business model was terrible and the leadership when he went after them was corrupt to the core. Better things get fixed than fall apart. The new group will do a good job, whoever it is.

My issue has always been the living conditions for the grooms and hotwalkers. They are atrocious and NYRA is responsible for that. For every dollar they stole they could have fixed the living quarters.

The two other groups involved are going to put in good housing. As one woman worker said in yesterday's newsday article about the dorms "NYRA has done nothing to better the living conditions," she said.

It is disgraceful that people with money have to feel guilty when visiting their horses because the horses are treated better than the grooms because NYRA could not get it's act together and build them better housing.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lihors304995800nov30,0,7767840.story

i would not dispute what you say, cause i really do not know about which you speak, but thanks.

something i do know about also has poor living conditions for it workers (which is not me, but), over the road truckers. try living in a truck. the only reason the bed looks good is because you've been working for about 12 hours.
sorry, i just hadda

skate
12-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Eliot Spitzer is on CNBC right now, and during the course of a discussion about going after corporate fraud, he stated that the indictment of the ENTIRE Arthur Anderson company by the Federal Government was a MISTAKE and an OVERSTEP of power, and was only done as a show of force by the Feds to illustrate that the Feds were "doing something" about corporate fraud. Spitzer's comment came after the host pointed out all the innocent people who lost their jobs as a result of the Anderson indictment.

A bit hypocritical of him in the wake of the NYRA situation, don't you think?

oh, there is so much in what he is saying (ES).
how bout the round-up they pulled off with the illegals, gees, it lasted bout 3 hours. and they sent a plane load back down south.

nothing but "Show" players

just like tom;)