PDA

View Full Version : Use the Company Email? You need to read this

JustRalph
12-01-2006, 08:29 AM
These are new rules on Discovery Documents for Court Cases. You may not want your emails being viewed by the lawyers who are suing your employer.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15984058/

New rules make firms track e-mails, IMs
U.S. Supreme Court-approved rules go into effect Friday

WASHINGTON - U.S. companies will need to keep track of all the e-mails, instant messages and other electronic documents generated by their employees thanks to new federal rules that go into effect Friday, legal experts say.

More at the link

DJofSD
12-01-2006, 09:23 AM
I assume that all of my emails and IMs at work are available to all to read. But then 98% of my message traffic is technical in nature, so, they can post it on the bulletin board in the lunch area as far as I'm concerned.

JPinMaryland
12-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Ralph has the radar on the right issue...This is going to be a major pain in the neck as well as a source of major litigation over this.

Right now if I was running business...I would seriously consider not sending any emails to clients. Unless you really have to I guess. It's hard if you are not a professional and you dont have an IT person how do you save them all? I dont even save most messages I send out, if its important I prefer snail mail at this pt....

If you are in a company then perhaps it doesnt matter as much, just do company work on company email. seems easy. And be careful where you surf the web obviously...

I dont know what else to say although there is much to say. Perhaps others have a different take on this.

dylbert
12-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Best advice that I ever received as young person in 1980s...

"Never write when you can speak, never speak when you can nod, never nod when you can wink."

21st century corollary today -- "Don't email when you can speak, heck, don't even type because keylogger is recording every character!"