PDA

View Full Version : time to go

46zilzal
11-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Iraq Panel to Recommend Pullback of Combat Troops

By David E. Sanger and David S. Cloud / New York Times

WASHINGTON, Nov. 29 — The bipartisan Iraq Study Group reached a consensus on Wednesday on a final report that will call for a gradual pullback of the 15 American combat brigades now in Iraq but stop short of setting a firm timetable for their withdrawal, according to people familiar with the panel’s deliberations.

The report, unanimously approved by the 10-member panel, led by James A. Baker III and Lee H. Hamilton, is to be delivered to President Bush next week. It is a compromise between distinct paths that the group has debated since March, avoiding a specific timetable, which has been opposed by Mr. Bush, but making it clear that the American troop commitment should not be open-ended. The recommendations of the group, formed at the request of members of Congress, are nonbinding.

JPinMaryland
11-30-2006, 01:55 PM
I wonder if Tom will call these people traitors and demand that they be hung too?

46zilzal
11-30-2006, 02:07 PM
I wonder if Tom will call these people traitors and demand that they be hung too?
well that would be consistent at least.

kenwoodallpromos
11-30-2006, 03:13 PM
Looking more like the stubborn Nixon everyday!
I got my futures bet down on Al Sadr.

46zilzal
11-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Forty years ago this week, Senator J. William Fulbright delivered a speech at Johns Hopkins University on "the arrogance of power." Talk about a time bomb. "The question I find intriguing is whether a nation so extraordinarily endowed as the United States can overcome that arrogance of power which has afflicted, weakened, and, in some cases, destroyed great nations in the past," Fulbright said. "Power tends to confuse itself with virtue and a great nation is peculiarly susceptible to the idea that its power is a sign of God's favor, conferring upon it a special responsibility for other nations -- to make them richer and happier and wiser, to remake them, that is, in its own shining image."
Many people believe the Bush administration's foreign policy is misguided, arrogant, and headed for disaster. But few were making that argument back when George W. Bush was still in college. Of course, the context of Fulbright's speech was not Bush's virtuous unilateralism or the divine summons to Iraq; it was President Lyndon Johnson's deepening engagement in Vietnam. But it's doubtful anyone in Congress today has delivered a more thoughtful critique of Bush’s foreign policy. What's even more striking from this vantage point, however, is that Fulbright delivered his broadside against a sitting president of his own party. Johnson was still a commanding and fairly popular figure in 1966 -- the Vietnam War, remember, did not lose majority support until spring 1968 -- when Fulbright rose to fulfill what he called "the patriot’s duty of dissent." The White House, Senate, and House were all controlled by one party, as they are today.

kenwoodallpromos
11-30-2006, 05:27 PM
Forty years ago this week, Senator J. William Fulbright delivered a speech at Johns Hopkins University on "the arrogance of power." Talk about a time bomb. "The question I find intriguing is whether a nation so extraordinarily endowed as the United States can overcome that arrogance of power which has afflicted, weakened, and, in some cases, destroyed great nations in the past," Fulbright said. "Power tends to confuse itself with virtue and a great nation is peculiarly susceptible to the idea that its power is a sign of God's favor, conferring upon it a special responsibility for other nations -- to make them richer and happier and wiser, to remake them, that is, in its own shining image."
Many people believe the Bush administration's foreign policy is misguided, arrogant, and headed for disaster. But few were making that argument back when George W. Bush was still in college. Of course, the context of Fulbright's speech was not Bush's virtuous unilateralism or the divine summons to Iraq; it was President Lyndon Johnson's deepening engagement in Vietnam. But it's doubtful anyone in Congress today has delivered a more thoughtful critique of Bush’s foreign policy. What's even more striking from this vantage point, however, is that Fulbright delivered his broadside against a sitting president of his own party. Johnson was still a commanding and fairly popular figure in 1966 -- the Vietnam War, remember, did not lose majority support until spring 1968 -- when Fulbright rose to fulfill what he called "the patriot’s duty of dissent." The White House, Senate, and House were all controlled by one party, as they are today.
I know about Nam- I joined peaceful protests at San Jose State that did not degrade ther GIs.
You have to understand the differences before you can understand similarities.
Most of this country's foreign policies I agree with- but not all. Being a superpower works against us in Nafta. Works against us too often in trying to get others to go along with certain things like sanctions or getting other peoples to stand up to bad guys.
46- you know some things Hussein did against us, Israel, and his neighbors- whether or not they were important enough for us to back into a war where a truce was being violated is the question. Many Dems who were just voted back in voted to give Bush authority to go in, but either way Bush and his people ignored many signs of potential failure and had only one plan- capture the Green Zone as our Mid East headquarters but when the enemies were regrouping after 2003 we had no good plan to deal with that except ride or walk around and be targets.
We never intended to help Baghdad enough to matter. They still have less than 12 hours per day electricity. Assault rifles are legal in Iraq- how the hell are we supposed to quiet the place down?
Two things are the same as Vietnam- the enemy has all the weapons they need and cover of darkness, both thanks to Bush and the Iraqi Govt.

46zilzal
11-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Strange I was against the war in the 60's but was too busy with my major and having to work weekends to participate actively against that monstrous folly. The thing I wish I had done was to get an MIA bracelet.

kenwoodallpromos
11-30-2006, 06:05 PM
Strange I was against the war in the 60's but was too busy with my major and having to work weekends to participate actively against that monstrous folly. The thing I wish I had done was to get an MIA bracelet.