PDA

View Full Version : More Prager

hcap
11-29-2006, 06:46 AM
http://www.townhall.com/Columnists/DennisPrager/2006/11/28/america,_not_keith_ellison,_decides_what_book_a_co ngressman_takes_his_oath_on

"Keith Ellison, D-Minn., the first Muslim elected to the United States Congress, has announced that he will not take his oath of office on the Bible, but on the bible of Islam, the Koran.

He should not be allowed to do so -- not because of any American hostility to the Koran, but because the act undermines American civilization. "

Sheesh! What next taking down Christmas wreaths that wish peace?

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/11/29/us/29wreath.jpg

skate
11-29-2006, 04:42 PM
hicup;

good point, one to which i do not have an answer

bigmack
11-29-2006, 05:05 PM
Already, witnesses in American courts do not have to take a religious oath and can instead simply testify on pain of perjury. It's up to judges to decide what passes for an oath.

Most have apparently given other oaths wide latitude. In a federal terrorism case in 1997 in Washington D.C., for instance, the judge allowed Muslim witnesses to swear to Allah. And the practice isn't new: Mochitura Hashimoto, the Japanese submarine commander who testified in the court martial of a US Navy captain in 1945, was allowed by a military tribunal to swear on his beliefs of Shinto, the ancient religion of Japan.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0720/p02s02-usju.html

hcap
11-29-2006, 05:20 PM
I agree. I think Prager pontificating that it"undermines American civilization." is a bit over the top.

First Amendment Article VI, paragraph 3:

.... The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

...four presidents have been inaugurated without swearing an oath on the Bible. Franklin Pierce was affirmed, and swore no oath, Rutherford Hayes initially had a private ceremony with no Bible before his public ceremony, Theodore Roosevelt had no Bible at his ceremony, and Lyndon Johnson used a missal during his first term.

skate
11-29-2006, 05:33 PM
I agree. I think Prager pontificating that it"undermines American civilization." is a bit over the top.

.... The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

...four presidents have been inaugurated without swearing an oath on the Bible. Franklin Pierce was affirmed, and swore no oath, Rutherford Hayes initially had a private ceremony with no Bible before his public ceremony, Theodore Roosevelt had no Bible at his ceremony, and Lyndon Johnson used a missal during his first term.

hicup;

was that before or after 9/11.??

Indulto
11-29-2006, 05:51 PM
http://www.townhall.com/Columnists/DennisPrager/2006/11/28/america,_not_keith_ellison,_decides_what_book_a_co ngressman_takes_his_oath_on
But for all of American history, Jews elected to public office have taken their oath on the Bible, even though they do not believe in the New Testament, and the many secular elected officials have not believed in the Old Testament either. Yet those secular officials did not demand to take their oaths of office on, say, the collected works of Voltaire or on a volume of New York Times editorials, writings far more significant to some liberal members of Congress than the Bible. Nor has one Mormon official demanded to put his hand on the Book of Mormon. And it is hard to imagine a scientologist being allowed to take his oath of office on a copy of "Dianetics" by L. Ron Hubbard.What I'd like to know is 1) whether any elected Jew used the New Testament, 2) whether any secular elected official used the Old Testament, or 3) what any previously elected Muslim used. Dennis Prager has really been in a downward spiral these last 10 years.

hcap
11-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Despite Prager’s insistence that “for all of American history, Jews elected to public office have taken their oath on the Bible, even though they do not believe in the New Testament,” it is clear that he is wrong. Linda Lingle, Governor of Hawaii, took the oath of office on a Torah in 2001. Madeleine Kunin, a Jewish Immigrant and Governor of Vermont “rested her left hand on a stack of old prayer books that had belonged to her mother, grandparents, and great grandfather” as “a physical expression of the weight of Jewish history.”

And in North Carolina, the Notary Public has a written code for swearing in:

“A person taking an oath should place one hand on the Holy Scriptures. This book will vary depending on the person’s religious beliefs: Christians should use the New Testament or the Bible; Jews, the Torah or the Old Testament; Moslems, the Koran; Hindus, the Bhagavad-Gita; etc.”

.................................................. .................................................. ..

skate, was that before or after 9/11.??I notice that when you use under 8 words per sentence, your posts are at least intelligable. Congratulations on putting 6 words together
Putting them together meaningfully, however is another issue.

Do you have inside info that somehow the Constitution was suspended after 911? Specifically...

I don't remember the Founders including an expiration date. Do you??
How are things goin' in philly?

kenwoodallpromos
11-29-2006, 07:24 PM
No opinion; a non-issue.

JustRalph
11-30-2006, 12:23 AM
I agree with Ken. Who gives a shit. He is still a rotten politician, no matter what he swears on. If they wanted to be truthful they would swear on a stack of hundred dollar bills.

kenwoodallpromos
11-30-2006, 12:06 PM
I have nothing against a Black Muslim individually or as a group. Just some bad apples. I wil know soon enough how he votes.

Indulto
12-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Islamic Group Targets Columnist By FREDERIC J. FROMMERhttp://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/04/AR2006120400985.html (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/04/AR2006120400985.html)
WASHINGTON -- An Islamic civil rights group wants a columnist removed from the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Council for criticizing Rep.-elect Keith Ellison's decision to use the Quran during his ceremonial swearing-in next month.

… Nihad Awad, CAIR's executive director, sent a letter to the council's chairman, Fred Zeidman, saying, "No one who holds such bigoted, intolerant and divisive views should be in a policymaking position at a taxpayer-funded institution that seeks to educate Americans about the destructive impact hatred has had, and continues to have, on every society."

… Prager, in a telephone interview Monday, offered what he called "a solution to this that would satisfy me and the vast majority of Americans" _ Ellison bringing a Bible with him along with his Quran.

"The issue has never been one of religious freedom or attitudes toward Islam," added Prager, who is Jewish. "The issue has been from the outset honoring the most important text of American history."

… By tradition, all members of the House are sworn in together on the House floor. It's in the photo-op ceremony that a Bible is used _ or in Ellison's case, the Quran.

Meanwhile, the Anti-Defamation League, which fights anti-Semitism and racism, issued a statement calling Prager's comments "intolerant, misinformed and downright un-American."

kenwoodallpromos
12-05-2006, 12:52 PM
I said if Ellison takes the oath on the Koran it is a non-starter-, BUT id he is required to take it on a Bible it violates the EStablishment of Religion clause in the Contitution (not the non-existent speration).
As the story goes, the Official swearing ion is not on any book or document, so back to my opinion as a non-issue!

skate
12-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Despite Prager’s insistence that “for all of American history, Jews elected to public office have taken their oath on the Bible, even though they do not believe in the New Testament,” it is clear that he is wrong. Linda Lingle, Governor of Hawaii, took the oath of office on a Torah in 2001. Madeleine Kunin, a Jewish Immigrant and Governor of Vermont “rested her left hand on a stack of old prayer books that had belonged to her mother, grandparents, and great grandfather” as “a physical expression of the weight of Jewish history.”

And in North Carolina, the Notary Public has a written code for swearing in:

“A person taking an oath should place one hand on the Holy Scriptures. This book will vary depending on the person’s religious beliefs: Christians should use the New Testament or the Bible; Jews, the Torah or the Old Testament; Moslems, the Koran; Hindus, the Bhagavad-Gita; etc.”

.................................................. .................................................. ..

skate, I notice that when you use under 8 words per sentence, your posts are at least intelligable. Congratulations on putting 6 words together
Putting them together meaningfully, however is another issue.

Do you have inside info that somehow the Constitution was suspended after 911? Specifically...

I don't remember the Founders including an expiration date. Do you??
How are things goin' in philly?

hicup;

you go to great lenghts to prove your ignoramus abilities.

you never, ever answer my questions. instead, you try going around my questions, along with others, you always run for help.
you constantly ask for help from others. why?

prager, never said, anyone should, anyone must, anyone has an obligation to place a hand on the bible.
he (Prager) talks about "TRADITION" and not any law what-so-ever.
he(Prager) talks about bringing the bible with the koran and hence, putting your hand where ever you prefer.

just a little belly belch

hcap
12-08-2006, 04:49 AM
Originaly BABBLED by SKATEprager, never said, anyone should, anyone must, anyone has an obligation to place a hand on the bible.
he (Prager) talks about "TRADITION" and not any law what-so-ever.
he(Prager) talks about bringing the bible with the koran and hence, putting your hand where ever you prefer.

just a little belly belchIt makes sense that one babbling idiot would defend another. Here is the first idiotKeith Ellison, D-Minn., the first Muslim elected to the United States Congress, has announced that he will not take his oath of office on the Bible, but on the bible of Islam, the Koran.

He should not be allowed to do so -- not because of any American hostility to the Koran, but because the act undermines American civilization.

.....Forgive me, but America should not give a hoot what Keith Ellison's favorite book is. Insofar as a member of Congress taking an oath to serve America and uphold its values is concerned, America is interested in only one book, the Bible. If you are incapable of taking an oath on that book, don't serve in Congress.The second idiot. Mr. babbling skate says....

just a little belly belch
I can think of a few places you can put your hand skate, just remember the anti bacterial soap

Whatever you prefer.

BTW, how are things in Philly???

skate
12-08-2006, 05:26 PM
hicup;

looks like you are more than a little frustrated. you are lost on your quotes.

you put in your words and attach them to Prager. nothing from what you gave indicates any of your words are from Prager. does he use capital "B" for bible one time and the next time (as you quote) he does not use a capital. i think you lie, girl. or maybe you are just in error.

when it comes to my quotes, please quote my response to the death toll in phila and iraq. i did not persue, because you were so "OFF BASE" with your Math.

you are bewildered when it comes to Math.

ask yourself this question "how old am i"

i feel for ya, and i best stop, so as not to confuse you further.

keep trying

hcap
12-09-2006, 05:20 AM
blath·er·skite*** says hicup;

looks like you are more than a little frustrated. you are lost on your quotes.

you put in your words and attach them to Prager. nothing from what you gave indicates any of your words are from Prager. does he use capital "B" for bible one time and the next time (as you quote) he does not use a capital. i think you lie, girl. or maybe you are just in error.
Remember when you were a little skater and da teach had dose letters above da blackboard? My original link contains the exact words I quoted, with a big "B".

Read it shm**k

America, Not Keith Ellison, decides what book a congressman takes his oath on
By Dennis Prager
Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Be carefull when you accuse someone of lying. Particularly when YOU can't read.
OR WRITE
OR THINK.
when it comes to my quotes, please quote my response to the death toll in phila and iraq. i did not persue, because you were so "OFF BASE" with your Math.
I guess you can't do arithmetic either.

Hey very clever with the hicup bit. Got one for you. The third definition of skate from answers.com is very interesting.

http://www.answers.com/skate&r=67

skate3 (skāt) pronunciation
n.

1. A fellow; a person.
2. A decrepit horse; a nag.

[Perhaps alteration of dialectal skite, contemptible person. See blatherskite.]

*** Dictionary
Directory > Words > Dictionary
blath·er·skite (blăTH'ər-skīt') pronunciation
n.

1. A babbling, foolish person.
2. Blather.

[B]ALSO fom the Thesaurus
Directory > Words > Thesaurus
blatherskite

noun.....

Unintelligible or foolish talk: babble, blather, double talk, gabble, gibberish, jabber, jabberwocky, jargon, nonsense, prate, prattle, twaddle.

I rest my case :lol: :lol: :lol:

hcap
12-09-2006, 07:05 AM
Hey blath·er·skite,

Iraqis are dying at a rate of well over 100 per day — which adds up to 40-50,000 Iraqi men, women, and children perishing each year. Many times that number are seriously wounded. Those that aren’t killed or maimed are leaving Iraq — currently at a rate of 1 million Iraqis per year. The Lancet/Hopkins report indicates 600,000 innocents have died. And your contention is that Iraq is no more a dangerous place than say-Philly.

Flash for da skater- Preznit Bush just authorized a new bi-partisan Commission to be formed to study deteriorating horrific conditions of da new front on da war-on-terra. To be called the PSG. The report is due out in six months.
Meanwhile let's hope the residents of Philadelphia can hold on until da Preznit can read it an act. Of course he will have to see what all the existing reports say before he can comment on the Philadelphia Study Group recomendations

Secretariat
12-09-2006, 10:30 AM
No opinion; a non-issue.

Would it be an issue if a Christian poltician was not permitted to take the oath on the Bible?

Tom
12-09-2006, 10:52 AM
I agree with Ken. Who gives a shit. He is still a rotten politician, no matter what he swears on. If they wanted to be truthful they would swear on a stack of hundred dollar bills.

Perhaps he could place his hand on the freezer of William Jefferson, democrat, Louisiana. :D

Tom
12-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Would it be an issue if a Christian poltician was not permitted to take the oath on the Bible?

Yes, it would. This nation was founded by people clearly Christians and clearly on based on natural rights given us by GOD. Allah was not mentioned, nor mohammed. The majority of Americans are Christians. It would make a difference.

JPinMaryland
12-09-2006, 12:32 PM
I dont recall Jesus being mentioned or Moses, for that matter.

kenwoodallpromos
12-09-2006, 02:08 PM
They all have the other hand in big business'es pocket, including Pelosi!LOL!!

Tom
12-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Before the dems are through, you will think her name if Legosi, as in the vampire! :eek:

skate
12-09-2006, 09:01 PM
thats why we call you hicup:cool: