PDA

View Full Version : THE LAST CLUE

bigmack
11-29-2006, 12:41 AM
Chime not, if you lack the sophistication to be aware of the various factors in each race.

What do you use as the last clue that you feel the pub regularly dismisses and with given value you find "playable without hesitation"

Factors include:
works, trainer, jock, placement in race,
L Off, Bias, PP, track condition, tote, pedigree
post parade looksee, ML, figs, changes

For me: Pedigree.

Tee
11-29-2006, 12:52 AM
Post Parade Looksee

Imho too many people wager before they see the horse(s) involved in their wagers.

On the other hand, if players don't know what they are looking at or for, it doesn't really matter anyway.

Of course in multiple race wagers the above is meaningless - except for the 1st leg. :)

1st time lasix
11-29-2006, 10:28 AM
As you mentioned....pedigree is an underappreciated variable among two and lightly raced three year olds other things being equal....but for races for older I think trainer angles, tactical speed against today's class level and distance preferences are significant when trying to seperate contenders. Of course all the handicapping in the world for "selections" needs to be weighed against the odds at post. Overlays must be used .....and percieved underlays must be dismissed to overcome the onerous takeout. {particularly in exotics where many players grind their returns to dirt playing too many underlay combos}

kenwoodallpromos
11-29-2006, 01:35 PM
Tote for anything but favroite to win and exactas.

Murph
11-29-2006, 01:43 PM
This is at my home track only.

I always select more winners when I take a good look at the runners before the race. With the cheaper claiming horses that frequent the Hoosier Park card it is helpful to watch them walk thru the ring, be saddled, mounted and led onto the track.

I like to follow the most energetic looking one of the bunch, walk out of the paddock with him, view the warmup then go to the window and bet.

Murph

Tom
11-29-2006, 06:06 PM
Pedigree for turf ( or a significant change in PED ratings from last race - HTR secret number)
Otherwise, figures - I love it when the top fig comes from a few lines back - the old hide the fig move.

eqitec
11-29-2006, 08:04 PM
Tote....horses with long odds played heavily underneath in the exactas

o_crunk
11-29-2006, 11:23 PM
exactas payoffs. i like to look at win odds vs exacta odds (payoffs)....sometimes it's fun to take a look at what the favorite pays on top of all the others. sometimes the second choice on the tote isn't even in the top 3 choices underneath. sometimes the top two are bet down so hard in the exacta pool that it can be profitable to key something with everything if the race truly appeals to you. i just like to see how the public bets exactas vs the win pool....there's a lot of value there. the public many times does not make much sense in this pool.

PriceAnProbability
11-30-2006, 11:49 PM
Chime not, if you lack the sophistication to be aware of the various factors in each race.

What do you use as the last clue that you feel the pub regularly dismisses and with given value you find "playable without hesitation"

Factors include:
works, trainer, jock, placement in race,
L Off, Bias, PP, track condition, tote, pedigree
post parade looksee, ML, figs, changes

For me: Pedigree.

I find I do well in races where the public "loses its flashlight," i.e., where the morning line is destroyed, either by a surface switch or many scratches.

classhandicapper
12-01-2006, 09:27 AM
Off the turf race are often bet very poorly.

fergie
12-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Since you are including post parade looksee, I would like to add a factor that I've utilized to determine (Sometimes) trainer intent. The factor is care of the mane, Platting, etc Shaving patterns on the haunches. We used to refer to this as dressing him up to get his picture taken. I've never done any study on these factors, as they're not included in the Form, so cannot give any statistics, just feel that when you see it, it often indicates that the trainer feels his horse is capable of running to win in today's race, and not in it just for the workout. Anyone else notice this? BTW should probably mention that this angle should be confined to use at smaller tracks and lower class races.
Fergie

Mmm_food
12-01-2006, 02:12 PM
This past season at CBY there was a $5000-$7500 claming horse that won every time they put his mane in those cornrow braids.

bigmack
12-01-2006, 02:22 PM
This past season at CBY there was a $5000-$7500 claming horse that won every time they put his mane in those cornrow braids.
If it works with cornrows it must be a lock when they put it in a pompadour

http://www.thecostumer.com/Upload/thumbnails/horsebr_mask.jpg

Steve 'StatMan'
12-01-2006, 03:18 PM

http://www.thecostumer.com/Upload/thumbnails/horsebr_mask.jpg

Did the artist formerly known as Prince own this horse? Maybe it raced in purple silks.

(Why do we scream with each other? This is what is sounds like, at the racetrack.)

Handiman
12-01-2006, 08:51 PM
One factor that I use alot is the horses lifetime top speed. With young horses not quite as significant. But with older horses, 4 and above (even some 3 year olds) the top lifetime speed number is to my way of thinking, indicative of the horses best ability when it was obviously at it's best.

To unlock the puzzle, I need to see where each horse in relation to that performance is as he or she is entering todays contest.

Handi :)

PriceAnProbability
12-02-2006, 01:55 AM
Off the turf race are often bet very poorly.

So are races where a $50,000 claimer is dropped to $7,500 and scratched when the connections get second thoughts about losing the horse, and a 2-5 shot is wiped off the program.

rokitman
12-02-2006, 11:40 AM

http://www.thecostumer.com/Upload/thumbnails/horsebr_mask.jpg :D :D :D