PDA

View Full Version : anyone watching Poker re-runs??

JPinMaryland
11-28-2006, 11:45 AM
For some reason I stay up late and watch this nonsense, even ones I have seen before! I guess I like to watch the cards flip and see the patterns emerge, hard to describe what the attraction is.

Anyhow there have been quite a few interesting ones they have shown lately, probably they hvae all been aired previously.

The Tunica tournament was on yesterday w/ Negraneau and some no names. One was Wendell from Maine, who like to put in fangs when he's in a big pot. He went all in w/ Aces over and Neg. had like a set that could not be beat, bad. Heilman or whatever was another amateur who was chip leader going into the last day, he played it closer to the vest but sitll lost. Then there is another guy called "ED" or soemthing but his real name is I think Davis. He's a little guy, who acts loud and overbearing but plays conservatively. It was interesting to see him play vs. Neg. He actually won about 3 pots to Neg's. 1 but Neg. still had more chips. He showed Dan one of his bluffs which was not a good idea. I think Neg. won it

Then there was another satellite from out west (NM?), it had a lot of asian players. Doug Le, Kido Phan, Tran and I think Scotty Nguyen. That was real interesting with a lot of table talk. Doug Le plays very crazy, but w/ a little luck he was doing well. I think Tran won it.

ALso they showed something called Tournament of Champions or something. Came down to NEgraneau, Mike Sexton and Matusloh. Dan busted Matusloh after telling him earlier that if that was a bluff you will get busted. So Mike shows him the bluff and eventually does get called on a bluff w/ like nothing. Neg. took the lead going head to head w/ Sexton and beat him w/ a bluff and then beat him with a better hand. Then Sexton got Neg. to bet $250,000 on a mere flush draw, that was like 2:1 against winning. Then Neg. goes all in on a straight draw or something. Looked like he just got crazy at the end of a long day.

Buddha
11-28-2006, 04:53 PM
I find myself watching them as well, but usually it is just part of the reruns that I have already seen. If I have seen one, and then it is on again, I will only watch parts, like the one from Tunica.

superfecta
12-02-2006, 02:00 AM
I not only watch the stuff on ESPN,I watch the stuff on fox sports like the Aussie millions and full tilt specials.I mostly cant believe how many bad plays are made.That poor slob in the WSOP getting the chip lead on the second day and bluffs off all his chips.He must have had that upside down visor on too tight.Most plays come under the heading WTFAYT.I get busted in tournies all the time,but I do have a hand of some sort.I think the ego of these guys contributes to their downfall way more than it helps them overall.
One thing to keep in mind,one bad hand can be the turning point in any tournament.You can play great for thirty hands and one bad bluff can erase all the progress you have made.And one great hand can get you to the money,be it a suckout or big trap.Its amazing how one bad hand can force a player into tilt or one big win can set off a good run of cards.ANd the odds of getting KK and running into AA is supposed to be about 5000-1 preflop but it happens almost every session to someone at the table.Thats why I watch the cycle of cards more than I try to figure odds.Some players say the pot odds force a call,but they dont figure the odds of their hand being the winning hand.
Quick example- the pot is laying you 4.5-1 odds so you call,problem is you likely need to hit trips to win ,an 11-1 shot.They will argue over the long run that it will be profitable,and its true mathmatically,if you play every hand every day ad infitnitum.
Reminds me of the stat guys who can quote the racetrack maxims on favorites winning but dont take into factors that have a short term effect on those percentages.