PDA

View Full Version : Wireless USB Adapter problem -- Can't find Driver

andicap
11-28-2006, 10:55 AM
I am trying to install a new Linksys wireless G USB adapter on my laptop (I have a Belkin router. My former adapter, a Netgear worked fine with the Belkin).

Problem is the PC is refusing to recognize the driver. I run setup and it puts the driver files in a c:\linksys\drivers subfolder. Phone support, which did not help, said the correct files were all there. But when I try and win the Linksys Setup Wizard so the adapter can connect to the router, I get an error message saying the computer can't' find the driver.

P.S. I had to install the driver from a download file instead of a CD-ROM if it makes any difference.

robert99
11-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Look in the linksys \ driver folder and see if you have to run a further setup from there to actually install the drivers.
Check in Device Manager that the drivers are actually installed and working for the linksys usb.
You can skip the wizard and just copy in the same settings you had for your netgear adaptor.

Suff
11-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Look in the linksys \ driver folder and see if you have to run a further setup from there to actually install the drivers.
Check in Device Manager that the drivers are actually installed and working for the linksys usb.
You can skip the wizard and just copy in the same settings you had for your netgear adaptor.

Just had a similar situation where I installed Windows XP Home over XP pro on a Dell Optiplex 170L. Network adapter wouldnt fire without a Driver. XP home did not have the drivers in the install disk. I burned the device driver to a CD and loaded onto the Optiplex Hard Drive. Still....Until I actually went into the c:dell/drivers/6450 and ran the device as an executable it wouldn't fire.

Check the read me file associated with driver for any particular issues....

andicap
11-28-2006, 03:06 PM
thanks for the tips