PDA

View Full Version : I must suffer for the game.

Fastracehorse
11-27-2006, 01:59 PM
I cannot win consistently any other way.

If I have a good day; the following day will be a sleeze-fest of $20 bills going into the auto-totes unless: I suffer for the game.

Everyday has to be a game of survival ( a game within a game ). It's constant frustration and misery - with occasional elation.

I have a fun balance at the OTB's - which is realatively small to the bankroll - much suffering - no more bank cards to the track - I know I must win or I go home soon - traumatic.

Of course prime bets are different - they are much larger mandatory wagers - if they lose: no affect on the fun balance.

I must suffer for the game - it cannot be easy - if I stay focused and pissed; and lose a few tight photos: I know my hit will come.

fffastt

Oh yah,

I hate to flipin' lose - but as I have gotten older I handle my near misses with alot more couth - that might mean I am more in control of this entire horse wagering THING.

kenwoodallpromos
11-27-2006, 03:00 PM
My near-misses are near hits!

1st time lasix
11-27-2006, 04:32 PM
the characteristics of winning horse player do vary somewhat but the ones i have met over the years have a few common traits:. They are intelligent and relatively optimistic by nature but are generally very even-keeled emotionally. They respect and enjoy most all aspects of the game. They have achieved some balance in their lives between career, home, family and outside personal relationships so gambling action does not consume them. They pass races. They are extremely diciplined with their bankroll wagers. They don't mind doing some preparation..... if fact they actually tend to relish the work and the "chase" to uncover overlays. They always play the upside and only hedge a bit on multi-race wagers if on the verge of a monster score. They don't have to "tout" their plays out loud in fact ....they will rarely share them unless asked by a friend. They do not ever play under the influence. They can handle a losing streak with class and dignity and they seek out the next opportunity with zeal. We all can aspire to be better handicappers and better people. Good luck to all.

44PACE
11-27-2006, 04:52 PM
The same goes if you hit a real big price. I learned a long time ago if I hit a real large odds horse that payback is right around the corner so the voucher goes back in the wallet and my day of betting is finished.

It feels good to leave on a big win there is nothing wrong with quiting when ahead.

JimG
11-27-2006, 05:09 PM
It's funny, but "near misses" do not bother me much at all. I guess because I look at horseplaying as a long term endeavor. One bad day, or one bad week for that matter does not shake me up too much. After 30 years of horseplaying, I am used to "near misses". What really bothers me is when several horses I really like run poorly. That's when I will back off the throttle a bit until I figure out why.

boomman
11-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Lasix:If I remember right (without looking) I think I said almost word for word in one of my books what you stated...You hit the nail right on the head!! Boom

Fastracehorse
12-05-2006, 05:01 PM
It's funny, but "near misses" do not bother me much at all. I guess because I look at horseplaying as a long term endeavor. One bad day, or one bad week for that matter does not shake me up too much. After 30 years of horseplaying, I am used to "near misses". What really bothers me is when several horses I really like run poorly. That's when I will back off the throttle a bit until I figure out why.

I feel I am a better player if the near misses bother me. It means I am going for the kill with fervor. I'm not going to rant and rave to ruin everybody else's day but I need some emotional involvement.

It's interesting that you've played for 30 years. Can U imagaine what it was like 29 years ago when those near misses occured?? Horse players become such tough hombres.

fffastt

Dave Schwartz
12-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Boom,

WHich books would be yours?

Dave

NoDayJob
12-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Great poker players and pony players have two things in common. The discipline to play their game and to control their emotions when things are going for, or against them. It's impossible to be rational and emotional at the same time.

Fastracehorse
12-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Great poker players and pony players have two things in common. The discipline to play their game and to control their emotions when things are going for, or against them. It's impossible to be rational and emotional at the same time.

And, is the negation of feelings a good thing??

I like this thread and have been thinking about it while living life - watching sport highlights etc..

Bill Parcels when his kicker kicked the winning field goal last game - was crazy elated. It was like he just hit the p-6 at the Big A. Can U draw parallels between coaching NFL and playing horse??

I was thinking about ping pong. It's a reaction game - if U think about what U are going to do next U might screw up. U have to focus on the ball. Really focus. Like in that golf movie.

But is focusing enough?? The guy U are playing is trash talking and U just keep saying 'it's all about the ball.' For me, I need a level of emotion - a blend of focus and bite.

fffastt

JimG
12-06-2006, 05:21 PM
It's interesting that you've played for 30 years. Can U imagaine what it was like 29 years ago when those near misses occured?? Horse players become such tough hombres.

fffastt

Even more interesting since I am in my mid 40's. LOL When I started out I would really fret and scream my lungs out after the fact about those near misses. Kinda embarassing thinking back on it. Guess I could have been doing worse things as a teenager.

ratpack
12-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Forgot where I heard it or read it but "You should never lose money on a win bet if your horse runs second"