PDA

View Full Version : Racetrack Television Network

Alc
11-27-2006, 11:26 AM
Am considering subscribing to RTN. Hopefully some board members are current subscribers and can provide me with some feedback on their experience with the service. Thanks. Al

JustRalph
11-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Unless you are into dog racing, I think DirectTV is a better way to go. With both TVG and HRTV directv will cover just about everything except the dogs.

BTW, I thought I read that RTN was going out of business?

Dave Schwartz
11-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Direct TV has both?

I have Dishnet and I thought they were the only ones that had both.

(BTW, if you want all tracks, you will need RTN as well.)

Dave

samyn on the green
11-27-2006, 03:19 PM
DirecTV does not offer HRTV last time I checked and you had to order a huge sports package just to get TVG. DirecTV is not racing friendly and should be shunned by each and every racing fan. Get the word out to DirecTV, you don't kiss racing fan butt you lose customers. Down with DirecTV!

Why not use Dish Network where the racing fan is taken care of and all the racing channels are included in the most basic of packages?

Dan Montilion
11-27-2006, 03:42 PM
TRN went off the air and out of buisness. RTN has the advantage of direct track feeds, one is not subjected to talking heads. Replays are not available unless you can tape/record the previous days races right form the next days track feed. Provided the track offers this service. I would advise the obvious to check if they cover tracks/circuits one follows. Also note that you can shut down the service at any time and be billed on a pro rated basis. Direct feeds for us hardcore is the way to go, problem is the exclusivity that TVG has keeps some track off of RTN.

BIG49010
11-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Mostly Stronach tracks and other 3rd class tracks on there for $100.00, if you want NYRA full track feed for most of the year, Gulfstream and Woodbine look into HPItv canada, if you need more info on how to do it in the good ole U.S. give me a email.

I have been looking for something better for CD and KEE, but have not found a good solution. The track feed is the best on your normal sized TV, I have a tough time with the grainny internet views on YOUBET.

JustRalph
11-27-2006, 06:25 PM
I talked to a DirectTV rep two weeks back and he told me they have both? Maybe he knows something is coming?

I was considering going back to the dish. Still mulling it around in my head. Trying to solve that "clear view to the southwest thing" since my new condo faces north....... it is going to be tough.

pandy
11-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Unless something has recently changed, only Dish Network, which I have, handles both TVG and HRTV.

garyoz
11-27-2006, 08:27 PM
I talked to a DirectTV rep two weeks back and he told me they have both? Maybe he knows something is coming?

You won't get HRTV on DirecTV. DirecTV and TVG are both owned by News Corp. HRTV is a direct competitor to TVG for betting handle, so no way DirecTV would encourage betting through Magna. If you want both you have to use Dish Network (Echo Star). I heard rumblings about financial problems at HRTV--but of course all of Magna Entertainment has cash problems. They wouldn't pull the plug before Santa Anita and Gulfstream anyway. This is speculation anyway--

I had TRN several years ago and had significant reception problems while having no problems with the high powered satellite services like DirecTV and Dish. TRN used to require a larger dish (about 1.5 meters I think) because it used a less attractive satellite than the other services.

Alc
11-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have TVG and HRTV via Dish Network. Was looking for direct track feeds. In doing more digging have decided against TRN. The dish is 36" by 24", installation can be a problem because of satellite location and have heard from others that reception can be a problem. Al

Alc
11-27-2006, 08:57 PM
BTW am happy with the Dish Network product. I wanted the direct track feeds because I follow the smaller tracks in Ohio and they get very little exposure on TVG or HRTV.

Southieboy
11-27-2006, 09:36 PM
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9071-2455498,00.html

November 16, 2006

News Corp set to lose DirecTV in split from Liberty
By Dan Sabbagh

NEWS CORPORATION, the parent company of The Times, is hoping to reach a separation agreement with Liberty Media, its second-largest shareholder, by the end of the year.

Rupert Murdoch, the chief executive, told shareholders in Adelaide yesterday that an agreement with Liberty looked “very likely”. Any deal is likely to involve News Corp releasing its 37 per cent stake in the American satellite operator DirecTV.

Read more at link

JustRalph
11-27-2006, 10:21 PM
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9071-2455498,00.html

November 16, 2006

News Corp set to lose DirecTV in split from Liberty
By Dan Sabbagh

NEWS CORPORATION, the parent company of The Times, is hoping to reach a separation agreement with Liberty Media, its second-largest shareholder, by the end of the year.

Rupert Murdoch, the chief executive, told shareholders in Adelaide yesterday that an agreement with Liberty looked “very likely”. Any deal is likely to involve News Corp releasing its 37 per cent stake in the American satellite operator DirecTV.

Read more at link

hmmmm..........the plot thickens...............