PDA

View Full Version : Help! Having Printing Problem

trying2win
11-26-2006, 03:17 AM
--For ages I had no problem printing pages with a black ink cartridge on my old CANON BJC 250 inkjet cartridge printer.

--For a long time when I clicked "PRINT", the message box that popped up would say something to the effect..."THIS PRINT JOB REQUIRES A COLOR INK CARTRIDGE, AND A BLACK INK CARTRIDGE HAS BEEN DETECTED. PLEASE INSERT A COLOR INK CARTRIDGE". Then it would have options in the message box like...."OK"...."IGNORE"...HELP. I would click on THE "IGNORE" button and the print job would begin with the black ink cartridge.

--Now, when I click "PRINT" the message box that pops up says something similar about the "REQUIRING A COLOR INK CARTRIDGE" etc. Only problem is, now the three choices read:

"OK"....."CANCEL PRINTING"...."HELP" (in other words, the "IGNORE" button has mysteriously disappeared, and I can't print using a black ink cartridge. I'm stumped. Can anyone recommend any strategies to solve this problem, so I can use the black ink cartridge again?

Thanks,

T2W

trying2win
11-26-2006, 04:15 AM
Okay....I went in to the PRINTING PREFERENCES SECTION and changed the cartridge setting to BLACK INK (guess I didn't notice this option before....DUH!). Anyway, after I did that and tried printing something, I get an error message that reads:

"CARTRIDGE MISMATCH!"...

"PRESS OK"
Current print job requires a black BJ cartridge."...blah blah blah.---(Well that's the kind of cartridge I have...i.e. 'black ink cartridge".... Talk about frustrating!). When I click on the "OK" button...nothing happens!

--Then the next option is to click on "CANCEL" and go to "ADVANCED OPTIONS" and go to "PRINTING DOCUMENTS" and choose "PHOTO". (I couldn't find that).

--Don't know what to do next.

T2W

karlskorner
11-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Had the same problem with that printer 5/6 years ago, changed to "draft" and if I remember the problem was solved, however since I print 40 or so pages each day for CRC I found that the cartridge was dry in 2/3 days. Finally gave it away. Went back to Epson LQ-570e dot matrix printer which takes a little longer to print the days races, however, allows me to put other information on the same page as races by scrolling down to empty area and the ribbon last 5/6 days at half the cost of the inkjet cartridge.

trying2win
11-26-2006, 07:30 PM
Karl,

Thanks for the tip. I tried your suggestion re using 'DRAFT', but unfortunately that didn't work either. Nevertheless, amongst the atmosphere of apathy here, your attempt at helping was a refreshing change.

I tried many different Microsoft print help suggestions. Those didn't work either. Microsoft tips on many different computer problems rarely have worked for me in the past, so I'm not surprised.

Mind you, my printer is quite a few years old. Perhaps some of the printer problems I'm having lately are due to it just wearing out.

T2W

robert99
11-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Some printers require the black and the colour cartidges to be in place and functional even if you are just printing black. The black printing may use some of the colours for certain "shades" of black

JustRalph
11-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Nevertheless, amongst the atmosphere of apathy here, your attempt at helping was a refreshing change.

I actually spent ten minutes trying to find a fix for you. I couldn't find anything worthy to post. So I didn't, in hopes that somebody else would have a solution. But, I have to ask one question.........are you printing forms on an injet? If so, have you seen what a decent laser cost now days? And if it is color you want.......... $400 bucks buys a decent color laser. I just bought a hell of a nice Okidata Color Laser....... I am talking high quality looking stuff for 600 bucks with a 200 dollar rebate. so it cost $400 bucks. I suggest shitcanning the BJC250 and moving on.............everything has a season

trying2win
11-26-2006, 09:56 PM
Robert and Ralph,

Thanks for the replies. I just got a tip to go to the CANON website for a possible remedy. They have a user manual there, plus it looks like they have a lot of other possibly good information. Will scan that site and try a few things that they suggest. If that doesn't work, I guess it's time to update to a newer printer. I only need a black ink printer, so if it comes to the point of buying a new one, that's the kind I'll be looking at.

T2W

Dave Schwartz
11-26-2006, 11:11 PM
Trying,

(And apparently that printer is trying you, right now.)

First, I would uninstall the printer and re-install. Second, I would update the driver from the website.

Third, if that printer is old, I'd do what Ralphie said and toss it. Head to Costco and see what they've got. In fact, I'd probably move this one up to first.

Dave

trying2win
11-27-2006, 12:02 AM
Dave,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've already tried the uninstall/install of the printer before. That didn't work. I just tried downloading a driver update from the CANON website. Just my luck, I get an error message saying something like..."The new driver doesn't pass the LOGO test. Please contact a vendor...blah...blah...blah." I keep getting stonewalled.

The main error when I try to print something, keeps reading "CARTRIDGE MISMATCH'. No matter whether I choose a color or black ink cartridge in PREFERENCES, I get the same error message.

Just like when some people get real old and they start to lose some of their memory power, perhaps the same thing is happening to my old printer. Yup...looks more and more like I better spring for a new printer.

T2W

ponyplayerdotca
11-27-2006, 12:20 AM
Trying,

Perhaps try installing a color cartridge just to see if the printer will recognize it and allow you to print. (I know you still only wish to print in black.)

If your printer works at this point, that could be a solution of a lesser financial investment that upgrading to a new printer.

My buddy still has a BJC 250, and he still gets the "ignore" option to allow him to print in black. I don't know why yours won't continue to offer that selection when trying to print.

I know this isn't much help, but maybe it will lead you in another direction to success. Good luck. :ThmbUp:

Dave Schwartz
11-27-2006, 12:25 AM
You can ignore the "Logo Test." Just say, "Apply anyway," or whatever other option is there.

That means the vendor did not bother to pay Microsoft to certify it.

Dave

trying2win
11-27-2006, 01:01 AM
PONY PLAYER....Unfortunately I don't have a color cartridge at present, so I'm unable to try that possibility. Yeah...regarding your friend just clicking on the 'IGNORE' button and the printer worked using a black ink cartridge...I used to be able to do that too....now the 'IGNORE' button has disappeared....STRANGE eh?

Thanks,

T2W

trying2win
11-27-2006, 01:05 AM
You can ignore the "Logo Test." Just say, "Apply anyway," or whatever other option is there.

That means the vendor did not bother to pay Microsoft to certify it.

Dave

DAVE,

The reason I didn't go ahead and continue downloading the new driver for the CANON BJC-250 printer, was that MICROSOFT was giving me a bunch of dire warnings that downloading the driver that hasn't passed their LOGO test, could result in damage to my computer etc.

Thanks,

T2W

JustRalph
11-27-2006, 01:53 AM
http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?prodCatType=1&storeId=10001&noredir=true&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=146827&cmArea=SEARCH

This thing still has the $200 dollar rebate on it. I love this thing. For $399 bucks you cannot beat it

http://www.staples.com/sbd/img/cat/std/s0136540_std.jpg

Dave Schwartz
11-27-2006, 02:13 AM
I recall purchasing a Kodak camera. The drivers for that camera's software produced the same warning.

Think of it this way... That driver was built for that camera and specifically for that operating system. Why would it damage your computer?

Microsoft decided that they were going to be the last word on everything and that vendors all over the world would pay for it. Some vendors (I would be one of those) simply refuse to pay. And the price that is paid is by the user (that would be you).

Do this... call Canon and ask them what to do.

Dave

bigmack
11-27-2006, 06:37 PM
I suggest canning the BJC250 and moving on.............everything has a season
If you're gonna can it, do it with panache. I'd say about a 29" Louisville Slugger

http://media.movieweb.com/galleries/1519/890/lo/co4.jpg

skate
11-28-2006, 03:44 PM
justralph;

i understand the laser to be a good printer.
what does it print from, ribbon, cartridge and can you replace (re-fill) it yourself, such as when using a cartridge?

robert99
11-28-2006, 06:17 PM
It uses toner - a very fine carbon type dust which is electrostatically deposited on the printer papr and fused on by heat. You used to be able to refill the cartridges with toner in some countries but it is a bit of a health hazard and you can buy a new cartidge and post off the old for safe disposal.

JustRalph
11-28-2006, 08:18 PM
justralph;

i understand the laser to be a good printer.
what does it print from, ribbon, cartridge and can you replace (re-fill) it yourself, such as when using a cartridge?

Robert is right on. Toner Cartridge. Similar to a copier if you have ever used or filled a toner cartridge on a copier. Laser printers are usually easier to install the cartridge. some copiers are a bitch. laser printers come in sealed cartridges. Normally.

The okidata above uses three if memory serves me right. I haven't had to replace one yet. They are listed online from 82 bucks down to 62 bucks at Staples. I am told I should get 8k pages though. So far I am about 2500 pages in.

A little tip. Shake the hell out of your toner cartridges before replacing them. I have been able to print 25% more by shaking them, on some models.

skate
11-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Robert is right on. Toner Cartridge. Similar to a copier if you have ever used or filled a toner cartridge on a copier. Laser printers are usually easier to install the cartridge. some copiers are a bitch. laser printers come in sealed cartridges. Normally.

The okidata above uses three if memory serves me right. I haven't had to replace one yet. They are listed online from 82 bucks down to 62 bucks at Staples. I am told I should get 8k pages though. So far I am about 2500 pages in.

A little tip. Shake the hell out of your toner cartridges before replacing them. I have been able to print 25% more by shaking them, on some models.

thanks,
that is a bunch of paper. i always preferred the cartridge, handy when you need a refill.
b ut from what you say, not need to replace nearly as often, 40# =2 cases and bout 8000 sheets, should last me a long time.

skate
11-29-2006, 04:05 PM
It uses toner - a very fine carbon type dust which is electrostatically deposited on the printer papr and fused on by heat. You used to be able to refill the cartridges with toner in some countries but it is a bit of a health hazard and you can buy a new cartidge and post off the old for safe disposal.

and it is good to know about the hazard, before i go exploring, thanks.

trying2win
12-01-2006, 04:25 AM
I got the old BJC-250 CANON printer working again! Just on a hunch, I had an old, dried out, generic, black ink cartridge that I had lying around, and I installed it into the printer. Then I tried to print something. Lo and behold, by using this generic cartridge instead of the CANON brand cartridge, the printer brought back the 'IGNORE' button. This 'IGNORE' button enables me to print things in black ink. Once the printer reintroduced the 'IGNORE' button, then I was able to put in a regular CANON cartridge again and resume printing.

So, in conclusion, there was nothing wrong with the printer. Just those 'gremlins' sneaking into the printing process and halting production for awhile. It was a good learning experience.

T2W